High Mileage?!?!

thaikim

mmm... rice
Ok, in the long struggle on whether or not to turbo the p5, I've been pondering other options.... one of which being to buy a MSP.

I've been looking around and I've found one that that i like, but it has almost 60K miles...... while on average most MSP I've seen for sale have under 40k.

So is that fairly high mileage for this vehicle?? Is there anything I should be concerned with, other then the fact that whoever owned it before drove it alot?

any constructive opinions would be much appreciated.

thanks

I've got 60,700 on mine and its in great shape. Only been to the dealer for the flash. Guess it depends on how the miles were put on there. Highway or hard street miles.

Yea I definitetly agree that alot of it is driver dependent.... I guess it's just a bit unsettling when almost all the other ones I keep finding have around 30 something and this one is almost twice that. Plus the MSP is known to be a little quirky and I was curious if anyone had noticed any issues with higher mileage.

It all depends on the maintaince history? I've seen cars with 20k on them that i wouldn't give you a nickel for and I've seen cars and have owned cars with 100k+ on them that run like new. A well documented maintance history and a through check by a qualified mechanic or person you trust is a good start. Don't let the milege of a car dictate your purchase! :)

I got an msp with like, 55k on it, but it was beat to hell, so that will give you a little clue. DEFINITELY have it checked out by a trusted mechanic before you buy it. I would suggest taking out the spark plugs and checking them to see if they're toasted or not, and check the vac lines as well to make sure they're not about to crack wide open. Also have the wastegate actuator checked. The clunk is inevitable so you're not getting away from that, but the motor mounts would also be a good one to look into...my rear mount was torn when I bought the car.

And if it has been in a northern climate, it will be rusted to crap on the underside :p

I'm at a little over 73k miles and she runs as good as new (if not better from my at times excessive maintenance)... and I drive her HARD.

Yeah, I forgot to mention GET IT IN THE SOUTH! If you can find a car in the south that's not around the ocean, then you will find yourself a CLEAN car...I've seen a sunlight silver from TX that had around 70k on it and was FLAWLESS under the hood and really all around.

Back