new MSP owner looking for some advice

sic77

:
03 MSP #418
i signed up last night after i brought home my MSP. it is a 03 mica. i was looking to add on a bigger intercooler,injen intake,greddy bov,turbo timer and a boost controller. i found the links for the intake,timer and controller anyone know where to get the intercooler and bov from? also do i need anything else not on the list? thanks alot in advance everyone on the site seems to be really helpful.
steve

sic77 said:
i signed up last night after i brought home my MSP. it is a 03 mica. i was looking to add on a bigger intercooler,injen intake,greddy bov,turbo timer and a boost controller. i found the links for the intake,timer and controller anyone know where to get the intercooler and bov from? also do i need anything else not on the list? thanks alot in advance everyone on the site seems to be really helpful.
steve
whats up man and welcome. You are going to need to get hard pipes to mount the BOV, they won't mate to the plastic pipes. Your options there are TurboHoses (retail) and DSM Convert (forum member), fo rthe intercooler, if you are looking to put an upgraded SMIC in then you have Turbohoses again and CustomMSP (forum member), if you want to do a FMIC, then you have a couple options, Perrin, Hiboost, Corksport, MAM, and always custom jobs (I can recommend a shop that does good work) there are other fmic i just cant think of them. check in the msp upgrades thread for more information, prices, differences. Couple of us have a mixture of turbohoses and dsm convert pipes, turbo hoses smic and ^tyrant^ will have his perrin fmic on soon enough. you should meet up with us and see what the differences are in the different set ups. There are two of us running the Greddy S at the moment and one soon to be Mazdaspeed P5 that will be running it as well. Its a decent BOV. Stay away from the Greddy RS, it is no where near the quality.

Also should you be interested I am in the middle of putting my car back to stock. I will soon have for sale on the forum an APEX cat-back, ION catless midpipe, and Turbohoses hardpipes that have a HKS flange welded onto them. Just keep an eye on the for sale section.

thanks guys i will get to work on looking everything up and seeing what i am going to add on. another thing is what size fmic should i get that will fit nicely into the front without modifying alot and as far as the bov is there one you would prefer compared to the greddy? oh yeah and do you guys meet up in atlanta or what cause i am all the way down in fitzgerald GA.
steve

If you are looking for easy fitment without modifying too much go with the high boost kit you can find it for a great price from protegegarage.com along with much of the other stuff you are looking for the owner is a great guy and has helped many of us with our modifying desires. Before the front mount you are going to need an Injen intake in order for it to fit.

As for BOV's the type-s is a great BOV i have had a little experience with the greddy RS and liked it however that is on a SR20DET. The HKS SSQV is a good BOV too along with a Turbo XS RFL the biggest thing though is that typically you are going to have to hear the sound on a MSP since it usually has a destinct sound.

I would definatly put an exhaust and intake at the top of the list of things to do. Also as you have no doubt found out at this point the 2.0L proteges are very limited by the rods and can't boost very high reliably...there are some freak cases but generally 10psi is max.

Most of us hang out in the northern atlanta area and get together every thursday night to bowl. There are a couple people down in the columbus area and scatered throughout GA. The next big meet we are having is the Petite Leman 10 hour race at road atlanta and then from there Zoom Zoom Live is the next day (suggest you sign up and come out its free). A bunch of us also Auto-X our cars check soloatlanta.com for a complete schedule and for signing up.

And lastly DOH!! where were you a couple weeks ago i was selling my spicy MSP cheap with some upgrades already on it

I just wanted to welcome you also. I'll be turbo-ing my car this fall. I have a list of parts listed in the thread in my sig.

I have a turbo timer for sale. Blitz FATT DC IV for $85. :)

Back