"ABS" and "! Brake" dash lights staying on?

02_MP5

I'm looking for a little help. Tonight my brother was driving my '02 Mazda Protege 5, when he called me and asked why the "Emergency Brake" and "ABS" lit up while he was driving and if it did it all the time. Well, I couldn't remember if they were always on, and I drove it when he got home. For the first five or so minutes, neither of the lights were on, but then they both lit up. Can somebody help me with this, is there anything wrong that I should be worried about?

Thanks.

When the ABS light is on, that means that the system has found a problem with itself and has deactivated.
Sorry I can't help you solve the problem, but you should find out what it is because you have no abs.

It is a wheel sensor. I just bought my 5 and had the same lights. The place where I bought it, sent it to a Mazda dealership and they confirmed it was a sensor. It's being replaced today.

HFXprotege5 said:
It is a wheel sensor. I just bought my 5 and had the same lights. The place where I bought it, sent it to a Mazda dealership and they confirmed it was a sensor. It's being replaced today.
I seem to have the same problem. Can you tell me what is CND price of the sensor. I'm thinking it's a fairly easy job and will attempt to fix it myself. I'm pretty sure the LR sensor is NFG.

Also for others reading this: Is there a good on-line source of Mazda parts? I've looked all over the net and the ABS sensor is not listed in any general parts source. Probably specific to Mazda P5.

Specific to Mazda protege. Just grab one from the dealer. It's basically an electro magnet.

215$ CAD per sensor.
Only available from Mazda :(

Question: can we swap a front sensor for the rear one ?
Basically, can we purchase a set of front (from MSP or someone who doesn't want the ABS) and replace the rear defective sensor ?
I know the brackets might differ, but with a bit of work, is this an alternative ?

Thanks.

--McDave

McDaveMP5 said:
215$ CAD per sensor.
Only available from Mazda :(

Question: can we swap a front sensor for the rear one ?
Basically, can we purchase a set of front (from MSP or someone who doesn't want the ABS) and replace the rear defective sensor ?
I know the brackets might differ, but with a bit of work, is this an alternative ?

Thanks.

--McDave
The front/rear sensors on the Protege are a totally different design.

I took it to the dealer on Tuesday, and it was one of the rear sensors. Got it fixed, and it's back to normal. Thanks for the help!

mikeweb said:
^^ how much did it run you? Im having the same problem

I just replaced mine and the part cost me U$80 + shipping from onlinemazdaparts.com. The CAD $215 + taxes for the part makes me burn.

The left rear sensor is easy to replace. If anyone wants a written guide I could post one.

My wife just called me and said her "Emergency Brake" light is coming on when she hits the breaks sometimes. She doesn't have ABS on her P5...would you think this one is a fluid issue as well?

Hilbe said:
My wife just called me and said her "Emergency Brake" light is coming on when she hits the breaks sometimes. She doesn't have ABS on her P5...would you think this one is a fluid issue as well?

Yea...sounds like a fluid issue.

Back