Mileage Tire (both MPG and Lifespan)

:
2002 Yellow P5
I've read a ton of threads and reviews on tires. I have BFG Traction T/A's on my P5 right now. I think I need to get and alignment and possibly new struts (I have 125k on it right now, bought it at 80k last year.) I don't know if anything was done before I bought it with the struts. I've got a clunk coming from up there in the front end somewhere. I also noticed on the inside of my drivers side tire is wearing really heavy. I'd do the struts myself but I'll have the alignment done by a shop if it needs it. So I'm looking for a suggestion on tires that will give me good perfomance but still give me good mpg and long lifespan. I am running 205/50/16's right now and will probably stick to that. I also have winter wheels/tires so I don't have to worry about winter traction.

Thanks!
Doug

If you've read a ton of threads on tires I don't really see why you want to start another - you are just going to get a bunch of different tire suggestions from a bunch of different people and will be no better off.

In general, performance and logevity are mutually exclusive properties of a tire. Khumo, Falken, Pirelli all make reasonably priced tires that should last at least 20K miles or so with average driving.

falsedawn, thanks for the positive input. Comments like that make this site so AWESOME.

Obviously you trade treadwear for "sticky-ness". I also know that some tires wear better on certain cars. I've have the same tire on two different vehicles and on the one, they wore almost 2x's as many miles. I'm thinking that about 400 is the highest and still be in the performance category. And I should hope that we should be expecting more than 20k for a set of tires. In my heavy truck I've gotten 50k and my wife's car can get about the same.

falsedawn, thanks for the positive input. Comments like that make this site so AWESOME.

I assume you are being sarcastic... If so, you need to stop being a whining little baby and grow up a bit.

falsedawn said:
I assume you are being sarcastic... If so, you need to stop being a whining little baby and grow up a bit.

I'm glad you're so grown up that you can recognize sarcasm. I don't see how my comments are whining or baby-ish. But this is really far from relating to the topic of my post.

Dnale,
I would just go with the tires you already have! I bought my car at 45,000 miles now have 90,000. The BF Traction T/A are awesome in dry and wet weather. I also was very happy with the snow traction. The wear on these tires are 60,000. I will be replacing them sooner than that, but it was not the tires fault (edge of tires bald). I had a faulty air gauge and was running them on a lower air pressure than I thought (29psi). I know I could easily get 60,000+ Oh and I have 205/50R16 V rated. Hope that helps.(first)

PS with my CAI and tires I get 27-29mpg, got 34mpg driving down to Myrtle Beach. I figure I could get more with a header and VTCS removal.

Magus

Last edited:
Magus said:
Dnale,
I would just go with the tires you already have! I bought my car at 45,000 miles now have 90,000. The BF Traction T/A are awesome in dry and wet weather. I also was very happy with the snow traction. The wear on these tires are 60,000. I will be replacing them sooner than that, but it was not the tires fault (edge of tires bald). I had a faulty air gauge and was running them on a lower air pressure than I thought (29psi). I know I could easily get 60,000+ Oh and I have 205/50R16 V rated. Hope that helps.(first)

PS with my CAI and tires I get 27-29mpg, got 34mpg driving down to Myrtle Beach. I figure I could get more with a header and VTCS removal.

Magus

Thanks for the input. I've put about 45,000 on it since I bought it last August. Granted I put probably 20,000 on snow tires (November to March or so.) They do seem to be wearing evenly and quite well aside from the drivers side front that is wearing bad on the inside (I think it's time for an alignment.) I get about 27-30 mpg all depending on how much I'm on it. I do know that wet traction now is considerably less with alot of miles on the tires. Maybe I'll just replace 2 and get new struts.....

I'd stick with the tires you have. I've only had em for bout 5k miles but they're showing no signs of wear at all. Great traction wet and dry.

Back