MSP Clutch pedal feels "sloppy"

ChopstickHero

zoom zoom, eh?
Contributor
:
2003 Subaru WRX Wagon, 2000 Miata
Just noticed this in the past two days.

There is some play in the the clutch pedal. It moves side to side a little (which is apparently normal, check another MSP out and it is the same way). But when i am driving, I notice at the very last bit when I completely let my foot off the clutch, it is very "springy". Seems like it just kinda bounces back instead of just normally coming back. It seems to make a bit more noise too.

I looked underneath, all i see that is adjustable are two bolts. 1. a large bronze one that seems to set how far the clutch comes back. 2. the clutch line part seems adjustable.

Anybody that has adjusted their clutch, please advise. Thanks!

Our clutch is not adjustable it is hydraulic. So there is no clutch adjustment. If the pedal feels weird it could be due to a leak or your clutch may be going bad. I also noticed that our clutch and brake resivoir are one in the same so check your fluid. My pedal felt a little soft at the top and it ended up that the clutch was shot. Found that out when i replaced the lsd.

my clutch has been acting weird lately too and it seems to shot back real quick or slip. Also, I noticed that it makes a squeeky noise when i engage it. Any clutch experts want to chime in and help out

bump!

Usually a creaky clutch pedal or "spongy" clutch pedal feel is due to one of two things:

1.) There is a column of air in the clutch's hydraulic system. As someone said before, you'll need to bleed the system completely. The process is pretty much the same as how you'd bleed your brake lines. Having two people helps-- one to open/close the valves and another to pump the clutch.

2.) Your clutch master cylinder is starting to give out.

If you want a professional's opinion, I'd take it to your local dealership and see what they say. hope this helps and good luck.

I highly doubt it's your actual clutch. It's fairly easy to tell just by pedal feel if your clutch is gone. You should replace your clutch after about 75,000 miles. I drove with mine all the way up to 103,000 miles-- that actually might be a record, so I'm familiar with what a shot clutch feels like.

A properly functioning clutch will start to engage almost as soon as the pedal comes off the floor-- therefore you have the entire range between the floor and the "all the way out" position to play with for smooth engagement. A clutch that's almost gone won't begin to engage until the pedal is almost completely at the "all the way out" position-- that means you have barely any range to play with. When your clutch is gone, engagement isn't smooth, it's rough and you have to keep on the throttle just to keep it from stalling out.

Also you might notice some metal-on-metal shreeking when you engage and other terrible noises.

If this doesn't sound like your story, it's most likely one of the problems listed earlier. Good luck guys :)

gone_fishin said:
I highly doubt it's your actual clutch. It's fairly easy to tell just by pedal feel if your clutch is gone. You should replace your clutch after about 75,000 miles. I drove with mine all the way up to 103,000 miles-- that actually might be a record, so I'm familiar with what a shot clutch feels like.

A properly functioning clutch will start to engage almost as soon as the pedal comes off the floor-- therefore you have the entire range between the floor and the "all the way out" position to play with for smooth engagement. A clutch that's almost gone won't begin to engage until the pedal is almost completely at the "all the way out" position-- that means you have barely any range to play with. When your clutch is gone, engagement isn't smooth, it's rough and you have to keep on the throttle just to keep it from stalling out.

Also you might notice some metal-on-metal shreeking when you engage and other terrible noises.

If this doesn't sound like your story, it's most likely one of the problems listed earlier. Good luck guys :)
My clutch engages fine. No signs of slipping or chatter. However, I do have 65,000 miles on the car though. But i am easy on my clutch, don't do high rev clutch drops, race, etc. Most of my miles are highway driven anyways.

So the brake master cylinder and clutch master cylinder share the same fluid (DOT3 Brake fluid)? I will try bleeding the clutch to see if it is that.

I'm still not sure why the clutch is "bouncing" back at the "all the way out" position. It's like the last 5% of travel of the pedal and it bounces a little.

keep the suggestions/comments coming.

if its not that s*** then its the pressure plate's "finger" springs that are bent
anyhow, **** DOT3... use a quality DOT4 fluid and it'll handle abuses to the brake/clutch system better

Yea I felt his clutch and it feels fine except when you release it the pedal gets stuck at the last inch of going up and then pops out and springs up. And if you tap the pedal lightly you can feel that the plate spring feels worn.

Black_Protege_5 said:
Yea I felt his clutch and it feels fine except when you release it the pedal gets stuck at the last inch of going up and then pops out and springs up. And if you tap the pedal lightly you can feel that the plate spring feels worn.

i want your hood. haha

Black_Protege_5 said:

Hmmm. If our clutches use a return spring, then start there (and I don't remember seeing one). If not, I'm with the diaphragm fingers being out of whack. What else actually pushes the pedal back up to the top?

MrDiggler said:
Hmmm. If our clutches use a return spring, then start there (and I don't remember seeing one). If not, I'm with the diaphragm fingers being out of whack. What else actually pushes the pedal back up to the top?

I threw some lube onto the spring. it helped with the squeeaking, but it still bounces back a little. i guess i will have to bleed it and then see how that works out.

Back