Some car issues- Forum for warranty and mechanical issues?

Is there one or did I miss it (there are so many forums here)?

My wife's 3 sedan makes a humming noise (sounds like when you run your finger over a wine glass) from the rear brakes when you let off them and start driving. sounds like the pads are sticking but the dealer denies that it is happening.

Additionally, there has been a ticking noise coming from the rear shelf area under the window that I can't pinpoint exactly where it is coming from.

I've tried searching but I nothing is turning up, perhaps I am putting in the wrong keywords. Anyone know the answer or point me to some threads regarding these issues

Thanks

Yeah I have heard that the tail lights are rubbing against something and it sounds like it is coming from inside the vehicle. Have someone sit in the trunk while you drive around.

dread said:
Yeah I have heard that the tail lights are rubbing against something and it sounds like it is coming from inside the vehicle. Have someone sit in the trunk while you drive around.

Yes! I've been meaning to stick the wife in the trunk!

Wait did I just say that out loud? :D

Thanks

Mopho said:
Yes! I've been meaning to stick the wife in the trunk!

Wait did I just say that out loud? :D

Thanks
My wifes 3 sedan also gets that humming sound. BUt it seems to be when she is either turnignt eh wheel sharply and going slow like when you pull into a parking spot or sometimes when taking off. If its the same sound i suspect the p.s. pump. Maybe its something in the auto valve body. Do you have an auto?

It's an auto, but it only happens when you release the brake and move from a stop. Usually when going straight. Does not seem to have anything to do with the steering.

I did notice that the rear wheels are much dirtier from brake dust than the fronts, which leads me to believe the rear brakes are hanging up.

I think theres a TSB on that one. My wifes does the same. Im pretty sure that its not the rears hang up more than usual. I used an IF temp gauge on them after a bout of freeway driving and they were much cooler than the fronts. Means that they werent continually compressed on the rotors. I have noticed it on takeoff now that you mention it. I took it in to the local stealership and they too found nothing. I asked about PS pump, rear brakes and CV joints. Dang i bet its soem sort of resonance from the tranny. BTW my brothers manny has never had that sound. But that could just be coincidence.

yeah depending on the year of your car there is a TSB for the rear rotors.
they put cheap pads and rotors in the back and they produce a lot of dust, and in some instances it develops grooves.
the dealer should replace for you without bitching.
As far as the clicking goes, i have not heard of it before but i'll pay attention next time.

Thanks! Car goes in on thursday to have the front seat coverings replaced (3k on the car and the material came apart), so I will bring it up

Yeah, the front seats had a lot of threads pulling out of them. Dealer is replacing under warranty.

We love the car despite the little problems

Back