Mobil 1 Extended Performance oil

joey

I was getting some supplies for an oil change today and noticed that there was a mobile 1 oil that they guaranteed for 1 year or 15000 miles. Has any one used this oil yet?

I've run mobil 1 standard synthetic for the last 20000 on my car, changing every 10K, but 15K seems like an awfully long time...

joey said:
I was getting some supplies for an oil change today and noticed that there was a mobile 1 oil that they guaranteed for 1 year or 15000 miles. Has any one used this oil yet?

I've run mobil 1 standard synthetic for the last 20000 on my car, changing every 10K, but 15K seems like an awfully long time...

Fully synthetic 'technically' never breaks down which is why they're probably stating a change within so many miles. The oil does get dirty though. I've been using mobil one since i got the msp, but i still change at around 5k miles because that's when things are starting get a little dirty. A better filter would probably help. Fully synth prevents any sludge from occuring, which is yet another good reason to use it.

joey said:

every 10K imo is an awfully long time unless it's a very casualy driven car. You can get mobile 1.. but really the only difference between it and conventional is it'll rise the boil over temp before your engine gives out from a radiator hose break or sperentine belt break..and unless you acutaly see either of these two things as they happen and turn the engine off about 10seconds afterwords you're screwed anyway. Corse, that dosen't stop me from babying my 1.8L even @ 62K with some mobile 1 every 3-4K(I drive it a bit harder than casual). changing every 15K is asking for it.

Last edited:
i do use it since i bought my car new in 2003,and yes,its worth it,but change it at around 8 to 10k,you ll be ok for a long long time with your car...(glare)

tests have shown that if you change the filter every 5k or so you can go 15k easily on synthetic. It's imperative to change the filter, though. I still change oil every 3k though since I don't drive a lot of miles and have nothing better to do :)

VERY sweet looking P5!
toucci said:
tests have shown that if you change the filter every 5k or so you can go 15k easily on synthetic. It's imperative to change the filter, though. I still change oil every 3k though since I don't drive a lot of miles and have nothing better to do :)

True synthetic oils such as Mobil 1 have extended service capabilities to begin with. Mobil 1 EP has additional additives that enable a longer life than its standard synthetic product.

Go to www.mobil1.com and bring up FAQs for Mobil 1 Extended Performance. With regard to their EP oil, Mobil states, "Continue to change your oil filter when you change your engine oil. Special filters, or more frequent oil filter changes are not required.

This from a company that markets its own branded oil filters.

Back