Boosting a MP3 ES

Ok, based on my basic knowledge of Mazdas, I have a friend who just made the decision to turbo his Protege ES. Now how he did it is out of the ordinary. He had the turbo exhaust mounted (similar to an sts setup) but the thing that bothers me is that he is doing a custom setup with a different turbo. He is not using a T25 turbo but rather a Volkswagen Ko3 turbo. Now i drive a turbo Jetta and i know that engine management is everything. How will he be able to make power from a Ko3 turbo without proper engine management. I see that the protege's are very delicate when it comes to boosting them on a stock engine. Could anyone give me some insight on what to do. Trust me, i told him to use a T25 with the mazdaspeed ecu but he used a KO3 instead. Would he be able to run the mazdaspeed ecu with the ko3? besides proper cooling, such as, intercooler, hoses, and intake, what is he going to need?

BUMP

GalacticBlueByU said:
Ok, based on my basic knowledge of Mazdas, I have a friend who just made the decision to turbo his Protege ES. Now how he did it is out of the ordinary. He had the turbo exhaust mounted (similar to an sts setup) but the thing that bothers me is that he is doing a custom setup with a different turbo. He is not using a T25 turbo but rather a Volkswagen Ko3 turbo. Now i drive a turbo Jetta and i know that engine management is everything. How will he be able to make power from a Ko3 turbo without proper engine management. I see that the protege's are very delicate when it comes to boosting them on a stock engine. Could anyone give me some insight on what to do. Trust me, i told him to use a T25 with the mazdaspeed ecu but he used a KO3 instead. Would he be able to run the mazdaspeed ecu with the ko3? besides proper cooling, such as, intercooler, hoses, and intake, what is he going to need?

the mazdaspeed ecu would be fine for low boost (6-8 psi) !!
any higher then a programable ems is needed to be safe!!

rob

You may have, he lives in West Palm Beach, FL. What advice did you give him? I just dont want him to blow his motor because i know they're really fragile when it comes to boost.

Back