Spark Plug Replacement

plrubin

:
2003 Protege ES (5 Speed)
What plugs should I get? I was looking at some iridium plugs on line and also NGK plugs.

Also, what's up w/ the recall notice regarding the intake manifold? I talked to a mazda tech. and he told me something about a butterfly nut inside of the intake manifold????

Tanks! : )

NGK.
Welcome and make friends with the search button.
This question has been asked about eleventy billion times.

Thanks all! I actually ended up going w/ bosch 4 prong iridiums. Already put them in (very easy!)

PEACE

How much did you pay for them and what do you expect them to do better than
a regular ol' NGK?
'Cuz I just don't get why you'd need to spend more than like, 2.50 per plug.

Protephile said:
a regular ol' NGK?
yea i had NGK iridiums for a long time and in reverse(i have an auto) if i was just sitting there not moving my idle was pretty rough but i switched to the stock NGK plugs and now i have to look at my RPM gauge just to make sure the engine is still running cause its sooooo smoth.just my 2 cents.

ummm, well first of all, local stores (napa, checker, autozone) didn't have any plugs cheaper than $3.99. Secondly, this has 4 prongs instead of 1 or 2. Increases firing and heat = good! Plus, it has improved the rough idle issue as well.

I suppose I could have gone to walmart or something to try and get cheaper plugs but what the hell!?

Protephile said:
a regular ol' NGK?

The cheapest bosch or ngk plugs (double platinum) were $3.99. The bosch iridiums I got were $5.99 each plus 10% off total price for a sale they were having. Total price = $21.56.

well its not the price i was concerned about.im sure with you,like me,money is no object(to a certin point)when it comes to our babys.i was just saying that sometimes the most expensive isnt always the best for the application.

True. I suppose I am happy w/ my purchase. It made a small difference (I am sure I will be putting in some new ones at 65,000 anyways.)

i recently put the Bosch platinum 4's in mine no probs at all and the idle is very smooth, i dont kno if its just me or what but the car seems to "pick-up" easer on the highway... and the bosch ones i bought gaurintee that the car will perform better. i bought them up to work (canadian tire) on sale for like $15 for a pack of two

--Chris--

Whats the recommended amount of time to use the stock plugs? I bought my car used and have so far changed belts and tires (cause it was necessary), but I ahvent touched the plugs and I'm already on 49k miles on it (dont know if the plugs are original or if they where changed at least once). I guess I should change the plugs, but after this, every how often should I change the plugs?

I did mine @ 50,000 and the original plugs were pretty ugly. The new plugs went in and it's all good. I do plan on changing them out again @ 65,000.

Just change them once a year and you should be fine. Do them on your birthday or something so you don't forget. Make sure you haven't had too many wobbly pops before doing them if you are going to do them on your birthday (thinkbeer

plrubin said:
What plugs should I get? I was looking at some iridium plugs on line and also NGK plugs.

Also, what's up w/ the recall notice regarding the intake manifold? I talked to a mazda tech. and he told me something about a butterfly nut inside of the intake manifold????

Tanks! : )

yes get the recall serviced i bought a 2003 protege about 2 months ago and i hade it break down about an hr after i bought it. lol good times no problems after i got that fixed but i would recomend getting that fixed asap

I too also got the recall fixed. Even tho I wasn't noticing anything going wrong with the car, i read how nasty it could get if not cared for. And since its a recall, and supposedly under warrenty, its free.

deepfriedsushi said:
I too also got the recall fixed. Even tho I wasn't noticing anything going wrong with the car, i read how nasty it could get if not cared for. And since its a recall, and supposedly under warrenty, its free.
I brought mine in this morning! :)

Back