My 5 cut off today!

S

Stargazer

I was in a parking structure at a stop, when another driver waved me on. When I press the accelerator, it hesitated then died out after I had moved a couple of feet. It shocked me. Fortunately, it was scheduled for an oil change today, so it's in the shop. Has anyone experienced this?

YOU SUCK AT STICK SHIFT! (lol2)

haha, jk. hope they can figure it out for you. I may have read someone else experiencing that but I'm not sure.

yes, this has happened to me 3times. Dealer can't/couldn't fix since they cannot replicate.

Last edited:
DeanSweet said:
yes, this has happened to me 3times. Dealer can't/couldn't fix since they cannot replicate.

Uh oh! My Mazda service people couldn't replicate it, and the computer had no memory of it. So, the bottom line is that they haven't fixed it.

My wife's 5 did that a month or so ago. Was a block away from home, and then engine died. Started right back up and no problems...

A few weeks ago 1/2 a block from home, it stuttered under acceleration - almost conking out but recovered.

Nothing else... about 3k miles on the 5 so far....

nocturne1 said:
A few weeks ago 1/2 a block from home, it stuttered under acceleration - almost conking out but recovered.

Mine's done this a bunch of times, always in second gear while trying to accelerate hard (I have a manual). I haven't had a chance to run it past the dealer yet. Anyone else had this happen?

Stargazer said:
I was in a parking structure at a stop, when another driver waved me on. When I press the accelerator, it hesitated then died out after I had moved a couple of feet. It shocked me. Fortunately, it was scheduled for an oil change today, so it's in the shop. Has anyone experienced this?

It's interesting that the computer didn't post an error code. Did your dealer hook it up to diagnostics?

My 5 had one weird thing happen. One day I was idling with the AC on and the car switched on and off for a second. It felt like a misfire but the electrical system went away (my Garmin GPS and Radio rebooted). And hour later going 70mph the steering light came on. This scared the crap out of me since it seemed like one of those problems that would NEVER reproduce itself in the dealer's hands. Went to the dealer and they hooked it up the computer. Turned out the negative battery clamp was loose. Since then no issues.

Good luck with your issue. I've had a few small issues with my 5 but all have been fixed by my outstanding dealership.

astacy said:
Mine's done this a bunch of times, always in second gear while trying to accelerate hard (I have a manual). I haven't had a chance to run it past the dealer yet. Anyone else had this happen?
Ours is auto. Not even accelerating hard in either case....

nocturne1 said:

Nothing else... about 3k miles on the 5 so far....

Last weekend, engine stuttered twice. Both times occured while slowing down suddenly and then accelerating. It stuttered during acceleration but didn't die. I have 2300 miles on it.

I had also slowed down, as I was in a parking structure. For a minute or so, I thought that I had put the car into neutral by mistake. It was actually rather wierd. Once before (several months ago) when I tried to accelerate after being at a stop, the car hesitated but did not cut off.

My original dealer when out of business, so I'm taking the car to another dealership. How I wish the original dealer was still in business...

My wife has a CEL just today. Wonder if this is related to the throttle body...????

What do u think ? Zoom5Zoom ?

please take this with grain of salt eh

Did you recently add fuel to the car and not close that fuel cap firmly... if not it will cause a CEL as we pressurize the tank with an evaporator pump and if the cap is open the tank doesn't build pressure. If not I have seen a lot of evapor pumps fail lately on Mazda 5s.

I hope it just what I call " A BRAIN FART" and you just need a reset and all is good. At the end of the day you have to go to dealer to reset the light. I hope all is cool now...

Zoom5Zoom said:
please take this with grain of salt eh

Did you recently add fuel to the car and not close that fuel cap firmly... if not it will cause a CEL as we pressurize the tank with an evaporator pump and if the cap is open the tank doesn't build pressure. If not I have seen a lot of evapor pumps fail lately on Mazda 5s.

I hope it just what I call " A BRAIN FART" and you just need a reset and all is good. At the end of the day you have to go to dealer to reset the light. I hope all is cool now...

This is possible. as only 1145km, wife did a fillup on the 3rd. i did the 2nd and last nite's 4th. I didnt recall it being lose, the car drives fine though..

i just got my M5 3 weeks ago and a few days after i got it, i was at a light and when i applied the gas it died on me too. It started right back up, but now i get worried when im at a light. I'm just waiting for someone to find out what it is before i take mine in for service.

Mine has done this twice now. It seems to be only
in the morning when the car has not warmed up
completely. But it does exactly what everyone else
describes. Stop at a light, light turns green, give it some
gas and the car stalls out. It restarts OK, I think it
is a Gremlin.

Cheers

New cars don't require an extended warmup. A new car engine should not hesitate at all.

Back