Real Bad Gas Mileage!

jimdogs

I've had my CX-7 for two and a half months now and i love the way it drives but, I consistently get real bad gas mileage around 12 - 13 miles per gallon. What's the deal? I drive approximately 50-50 city to highway not too heavy footed either. What would cause such low mileage? A/C has been on pretty much all the time, could that be it? I use mobil super 93 octane, could the 93 as opposed to 91 be it? any suggestions would be great. Thanks!

I'm disappointed as well about the gas mileage of my cx-7. I have noticed a big difference between city and highway. On the highway it not that bad but in the city it terrible (more than 15liters per 100Km) and I don’t use the a/c a lot. On the highway it around 11L per 100km.

I'm wondering if it's comparable to other cars in this category?

Anyway I love my CX-7 but I hope gas prise won't get too high.

I THINK WE ARE ALL HAVING THAT ISSUE(ughdance) i cANT REALLY SEE 5 YRS OF PAYING FOR THIS! YOU WOULD THINK WITH THE TECHNOLOGY THESE CARS HAVE WOULD HAVE INCREDIBLE GAS MILAGE BY NOW! IT LOOKS LIKE 10 YEARS AHEAD OF ITS TIME BUT 1990'S GAS MILAGE! OHH WELL, ILL KEEP HER FOR THE TIME BEING! BESIDES IM THE ONLY ONE IN THE LAST 2 MONTHS IVE SEEN ON THE ROAD WITH A CX7 ????? I SMOKED A SABB THE OTHER DAY(peep) GOOD THING I ONLY HAVE 1 KID IN HIGH SCHOOL :)(omg)

I notice that too. And it sux. My wife is getting about 230 miles a tank. In our previous SUV (Montero Sport V6 3.5) she used to get about 250 miles a tank on cheap gas. My 350z that I drive hard and with the AC on full blast I get about 310 miles to a tank and yes I have a 20 gallon tank but still is better gas milage. According to my gas per miles gauge in my Z I get an average of 18 miles a gallon. You would think that a CX-7 4banger would give the same (being heavier) or better.

just because its a "4 banger" doesn't mean it gets awesome mileage
consider this:
the engine in the CX-7 is not a simple plain vanilla 4 banger... it has a TURBO which effectively increases the displacement of the engine to something comparable to a large V6
its also a "big engine" to begin with... 2.3 liters is in the upper end of 4 bangers.... only a few others from other makers are slightly bigger... more displacement = more air used.... more air used = more fuel burned... add turbo = air use multiplied = way more fuel burned

TheMAN said:
just because its a "4 banger" doesn't mean it gets awesome mileage
consider this:
the engine in the CX-7 is not a simple plain vanilla 4 banger... it has a TURBO which effectively increases the displacement of the engine to something comparable to a large V6
its also a "big engine" to begin with... 2.3 liters is in the upper end of 4 bangers.... only a few others from other makers are slightly bigger... more displacement = more air used.... more air used = more fuel burned... add turbo = air use multiplied = way more fuel burned

I agree, but 13 miles a gallon is ridiculous, mind the fact that my Z has a bigger engine, not to mention that I drive a lot more aggresive than my wife and still get better gas mileage than her CX-7.

Z_Monzter said:
I agree, but 13 miles a gallon is ridiculous, mind the fact that my Z has a bigger engine, not to mention that I drive a lot more aggresive than my wife and still get better gas mileage than her CX-7.

I think I've indicated before that I'm not happy with the mileage. I do understand the rationale and all the explanations, but with premium pricing out the way it currently is, it doesn't mean that I have to like it.

mp3josh said:
Gas prices have been this way for a while, so you knew that before hand right?

The complaint is not the gas prices (even though they suck), the complaint here is the poor gas mileage of the CX-7. Is no 18-20 miles a gallon as advertise by Mazda, is more like 13 miles a gallon, and that do sucks.

If you're saying that I bear the ultimate responsibility for the decisions I make, you're absolutely correct. BP also knew that crude would corrode pipes.

The difference is that they can absorb their missteps in judgement far more easily than I can. My quarterly profits only reach eleven figures to the left of the decimal on very rare occasions. (deadhorse

As a consequence, I'm not berating or denegrating any individual, corporation, or industry. I simply assert that when it comes to that particular aspect, I'm not happy. I do believe that I'm entitled to enjoy whatever circumstances I enjoy ~ and to refuse to enjoy whichever ones make me feel less enjoyable.

nate0123 said:
quit buying SUVs if you want good gas mileage

ohsnap.gif

Agreed.

nate0123 said:
quit buying SUVs if you want good gas mileage

(enguard) Right, I should have bought a Protege, perhaps yours right!!!

That's besides the point, the point is that CX-7 is advertized by Mazda to run 18-20 miles a gallon not 13.

Either way, this is getting old, notting to see here people, lets move on to something else. nate0123 is right, suck it up and drive on.

Point blank: Enjoy your new ride!!! And don't forget to drive it like you stole it!

I don't remember who it was that posted this (probably g-papi), but I got real worried when I read that the driver could actually see the gas needle drop when flooring it.

you know... this 2.3 liter engine isn't known for being a gas sipper.... when I first got my 3, I remember it having bad mileage... but once it got broken in (after driving the piss out of it once it was past 3000 miles), and using synthetic oil, it seems to be staying at 24mpg mix city/highway now... this is an auto too!
it might have gotten even slightly better after I flashed the ECU to the latest version to correct the 1-2 shift shock problem in the autos.... shifts smooth as baby bottom now :D

Cmon guys, give the little motor a break. Its a 4 banger that puts out 244 HP and 250+ lb feet of torque. (and a 4000 lb vehicle)

Drive that car nice and slow and stay out of boost, and I bet your milage will be great. I have no complaints about the milage of ours, but I havnt checked it yet either. My wife drives it slow, and the fuel used seems allright.

Back