Real Bad Gas Mileage!

cruzdreamer said:
Yes, but why should all men feel that they should know all about the mechanics of cars...a bit of pressure on you guys, huh! I was on another thread and a guy was bashing a guy who didn't know a couple things about cars and I thought he was really being mean! We can love our cars without knowing everything about them.....most of us are not trained mechanics. It's cool to share your knowledge on these forums...it's where I have been learning some things and that is why I ask questions. As the saying goes...."there's never a dumb question". Thanks to all who take the time out to share, people like me appreciate it!! Wendy

I was in the same boat when I first started on the forums. Give it a year or two and you'll know learn plenty :). And if someone bashes you, just ignore it.

Lord_Zath said:
I was in the same boat when I first started on the forums. Give it a year or two and you'll know learn plenty :). And if someone bashes you, just ignore it.

You mean you don't know everything like the rest of us? What the heck is wrong with you?!?! :D

Through our first 3 fillups mileage was horrible ~16mpg mostly highway driving. I do have a lead foot so maybe that was part of it but didn't expect it to be that bad. Fourth fillup and its finally creeping up to ~19mpg on a 3-4 hour highway trip. Did it take this long for people to notice an improvement? We're just over 1000 miles now.

JayHovah said:
Through our first 3 fillups mileage was horrible ~16mpg mostly highway driving. I do have a lead foot so maybe that was part of it but didn't expect it to be that bad. Fourth fillup and its finally creeping up to ~19mpg on a 3-4 hour highway trip. Did it take this long for people to notice an improvement? We're just over 1000 miles now.

Based on that, I'm guessing you have an AWD? The FWDs seem to be 2-3 mpg higher.

So far, after about 3k miles and 124 gallons of gas, my average is 18.25 MPG, lowest was 16.17 in mostly city traffic, highest 20.94 almost exclusively highway. I did a test of NO A/C in the same routes as with A/C and was able to squeak out almost an extra 3 MPG out of the car.

13 MPG? Personally, I'd sell my CX-7 INSTANTLY if I got that.

Compared to a Suburban or other american junk suv's, we are pretty lucky to have the mileage we get, imo.

I will not give up my AWD
I will not surrender my turbo
I will not go below 93 octane

I will come here and b**** 'cause I got what I want and it's costing me.

That's the American way.

hang in there....

JayHovah said:
JayHovah.....I can't remember how many miles it took for me to get better gas mpg on my 8 but it was awhile......took quite a few months and I remember thinking this better improve or I am giving it back....but mine is a rotary engine. I was at 12 mpg for awhile then 15mpg than 17.5 mpg for the longest time and at 38,200 miles I am getting 19 with my last 4 fill ups!!! Keep us posted I want to purchase one next month so I am interested to see if things improve! Thanks.

gas mileage so far

after my first two fill-ups - here are my CX-7 GT numbers (using 91 octane):

20.3 miles/gallon (~70/30 highway/city)
19.4 miles/gallon (~50/50 highway/city)

Looking to get a CX-7 also but I have to say that all the houpla about putting a 4 turbo to get the performance of a V6 and great fuel economy has put me off. I don't like the numbers 15mpg that people are getting when you could get a Murano with a V6 that get 19mpg.

Let's just hope that fuel economy improves over time because as of now you don't get the smoothness of a V6 and get about the same fuel economy so Mazda going the 4 cyl turbo direction on that car right now looks kinda bleh except maybe for space under the hood and marketing about the CX-9 getting a V6.

I'll have to wait and see. I love the inside and outside of the car. I hate the fuel economy it's getting.

Xenon Expert said:
Looking to get a CX-7 also but I have to say that all the houpla about putting a 4 turbo to get the performance of a V6 and great fuel economy has put me off. I don't like the numbers 15mpg that people are getting when you could get a Murano with a V6 that get 19mpg.

Let's just hope that fuel economy improves over time because as of now you don't get the smoothness of a V6 and get about the same fuel economy so Mazda going the 4 cyl turbo direction on that car right now looks kinda bleh except maybe for space under the hood and marketing about the CX-9 getting a V6.

I'll have to wait and see. I love the inside and outside of the car. I hate the fuel economy it's getting.

Have you driven the CX 7?? Remember each driver drives it differently and the numbers will vary and I think the MPG will get better as time passes. The Murano I here does not drive as nice and is more expensive and those numbers are estimates too. Drive the CX 7 if you haven't.....kicks butt over a V6!

background: just window shopping at the momemt. passenger in RDX test drive, curious to test drive cx-7

In comparing the RDX / CX-7 / Rav4, it seems as though Acura / Mazda have produced almost the exact same product, yet Toyota has faster and more powerful equivelant that gets better mileage? 21 city w/ 4wd, and 22 w/ 2wd?

I applaud Mazda for coming in with the exact same product as Acura but substantially cheaper, and I like the Mazda styling over the Acura (looks like a Mitsubishi to me), and this coming from a Honda fan. If toyota went for sport more than cute, I'd think both mazda and acura would be in trouble, as I'll take faster + 15 hp + 2 or 3 mpg ANY DAY.

So cheer up folks! I would imagine ALL the RDX early adopters are crying the same, but are an EXTRA $6k in the hole. that buys alot of gas at $3/gallon. So think of it this way: you got 34000 miles of free gas compared to the Acura guys. (thumb)

02589 said:
I test drove a couple of RAV4s before I got my CX-7. The Toyota is a pig. It's not a small SUV. It's a small minivan. And it's pretty gutless to boot.

haha your nuts, the rav4 has close to 300hp and runs low 6's 0-60. They can smoke a cx7.

cruzdreamer said:
Have you driven the CX 7?? Remember each driver drives it differently and the numbers will vary and I think the MPG will get better as time passes. The Murano I here does not drive as nice and is more expensive and those numbers are estimates too. Drive the CX 7 if you haven't.....kicks butt over a V6!

No I haven't tested it yet. I will of course. I love the CX-7 (even saw it at the dealer I pass each day) I'm just a bit dissapointed in the initial mpg reports. As for the murano, true it's more expensive but I always loved its style and the 19 mpg are the average that consumer report found over 6 000 miles + in it.

I really have to test them both in a row and see for myself. Of course the CX-7 has more bang for the buck.

Back