Real Bad Gas Mileage!

21 mpg

50/ 50 mix of real short trips( 3 miles) and one long hiway run, 346 miles on 16.3 gallons. I just passed 1000 miles and changed oil and filter yesterday. MartyD

hevysrf said:
50/ 50 mix of real short trips( 3 miles) and one long hiway run, 346 miles on 16.3 gallons. I just passed 1000 miles and changed oil and filter yesterday. MartyD

That sound good man, I guess my wife is racing every body on the road and I just don't know about it,LOL.

Hoping...

I am thinking it just needs some breaking in.....In the beginnning I had 12-13mpg when I bought my automatic RX 8 and it was stated to get 18 mpg. After about 5000 miles it was getting 15 mpg then after that it started getting 17.5 mpg consistently. Now I am finally getting 19 mpg after 2 years and 8 months and 36,000 miles. Now it is a rotary engine and I had a guy once tell me(a rotor head) it would be about 24,000 miles before I'd get the best gas mileage. He was right! Also, my car weighs around 3000-3200 lbs. Maybe the turbo needs time like the rotary??? Gosh, I hope so...I don't want 12-13 mpg when I get mine. Please continue to post gas mileage figures. Thanks!

Lord_Zath said:
I don't remember who it was that posted this (probably g-papi), but I got real worried when I read that the driver could actually see the gas needle drop when flooring it.

My RX 8 was like that too...I was scared to go fast....needle would drop....after 3000 miles that stopped! whew.

I've got 5100 miles, and I believe that my CX-7 has finally retrained my right foot, and my frontal lobe's instinct to downshift - pull over into the left lane - and tromp on it.

Z_Monzter said:
(enguard) Right, I should have bought a Protege, perhaps yours right!!!

That's besides the point, the point is that CX-7 is advertized by Mazda to run 18-20 miles a gallon not 13.

Either way, this is getting old, notting to see here people, lets move on to something else. nate0123 is right, suck it up and drive on.

Point blank: Enjoy your new ride!!! And don't forget to drive it like you stole it!

im agree with you!! I had an msp before that one has the worst milleage gas but i knew that if i get the cx-7 it will be the same or worst but either way i love this SUV and that for me matters!!! and yeah stop complaing enjoy your SUV !!!

Last edited:
Gas mileage is what I expected. CX-7 is rated 22 mpg/city in Canada, which is 18 mpg/city US. I expected to get 18-19 (15-16 US), maybe less if I get heavy footed. EPA ratings are useless. They calculate city mileage at an average speed of 33 km/h (20 mph) and highway gas mileage at an average of 77 km/h(48 mph). Who the hell drives at those speeds? My Mazda's usually get pretty good mileage on the highway, but with my heavy foot around town its hard to expect much. I only get 25-26 (21-22 US) mpg around town in our Mazda 3, its supposed to get 31 city and 41 highway. I knew the mileage would be mediocre at best in the CX-7, its worth it for the smile it puts on my face. Can't wait to drive it in the snow.

Maybe I'm just a naturally critical kinda guy. Has anyone compared it to what comparably equipped other manufacturers' vehicles are doing in real life? Maybe I'll look at their forums when I get the time.

I dunno, It could be at fuel pump issue? My mom threw a CEL on her new CX-7 and it's being repaired. Plus you should get off the pedal, keep the car in low rpm you can get a good MPG from how i drove my mom's car.

zentrandi said:
I dunno, It could be at fuel pump issue? My mom threw a CEL on her new CX-7 and it's being repaired. Plus you should get off the pedal, keep the car in low rpm you can get a good MPG from how i drove my mom's car.

None of the CEL issues I've seen would affect the mpg. Was hers a fuel pump issue? If so, this would be a new item.

G-Papi said:
Maybe I'm just a naturally critical kinda guy. Has anyone compared it to what comparably equipped other manufacturers' vehicles are doing in real life? Maybe I'll look at their forums when I get the time.

I had a chance to drive a Murano for a weekend last summer. I didn't do any actual calculations, but it seemed like the gas guage dropped like a stone. I was left with the impression that it got FAR less than its rated gas mileage. And I REALLY hated the CVT transmission, I just can't get used to it.

G-Papi said:
None of the CEL issues I've seen would affect the mpg. Was hers a fuel pump issue? If so, this would be a new item.

Her's was a fuel pump issue. so you can add that to a new issue. So many problems with new cars... Her tribute was like that when she first bought it. It, like this one, was the first release, so I would expect a few recalls.

Lifted this from one of the threads at NISANMURANO.ORG. Looks like their problems are as bad - or worse.

Attachments

• gas.jpg
    gas.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 416
I've been seeing around 15mpg in mostly city and spirited driving. Best is 21.x mpg with about 70% freeway.

I'm getting 15 - 16 mpg in all city driving, a/c on all the time. I don't race at every stoplight but I ain't babying it, either. I thought that's pretty low but seeing people get 12-13 mpg puts things into perspective. My Mazda6 V6 got 17-18 mpg city but of course, it was lighter, FWD and had less power.

I've also gotten 19 mpg on a tank of about 25% highway and 75% city driving. The mileage is not great, but then CX-7 is what it is - a 2-ton AWD SUV. Like others said, if you want good mileage, buy a Yaris or something.

Z_Monzter said:
(enguard) Right, I should have bought a Protege, perhaps yours right!!!

That's besides the point, the point is that CX-7 is advertized by Mazda to run 18-20 miles a gallon not 13.

Either way, this is getting old, notting to see here people, lets move on to something else. nate0123 is right, suck it up and drive on.

Point blank: Enjoy your new ride!!! And don't forget to drive it like you stole it!

your right!!! im just gonna mod the **** out of it now :) can it get ant worse(enguard)

Hmmm, I'm seeing 20.xxx with 50 miles a day of highway and usually one or two 50 mile trips in the city. I usually get 320ish miles out of a tank 2000 miles on the car.

Here's mine. Maybe the AWD saps the mileage?

Got back from our road trip up the California coast on the weekend. These are mostly highway driving with 60 to 78 cruzing speed. Our pace was a comfortable medium drive with no hard acceleration (yet)

Tank # 5 80 highway / 20 city 22.7 MPG
Tank # 6 85 highway / 15 city 24.2 MPG
Tank # 7 80 highway/ 20 city 22.5 MPG 7/06/06
Tank # 8 60 highway/ 40 city 22.3 MPG 7/11/06 2,180 mi
Tank #10 40 highway/ 60 city 21.3 MPG 7/30/06 2,900 mi
Tank #11 40 highway/ 60 city 20.4 MPG 8/05/06 3,270 mi
Tank #12 40 highway/ 60 city 21.8 MPG 8/12/06 3,570 mi

Mine is FWD GT

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by Zoom49 : 08-12-2006 at 06:16 PM.

I have gotten between 18.5 (80% highway) and going as low as 13 with 100% in town driving. I am sitting on the fence waiting how it develops. I can't say that I am too happy with it at this point.

tdf2001 said:
I have gotten between 18.5 (80% highway) and going as low as 13 with 100% in town driving. I am sitting on the fence waiting how it develops. I can't say that I am too happy with it at this point.
Im over 20 highway and 16 city, X is a AWD only has around 300 miles on her and i know better mileage to come when she's broken in

Last edited:
Back