Real Bad Gas Mileage!

chasmanz28 said:
Im over 20 highway and 16 city, X is a AWD only has around 300 miles on her and i know better mileage to come
considering you also have two v8 camaros I'm sure you're used to this kind of mileage ;)

"With 244 horsepower at 5000 rpm, the CX-7 AWD Sport hauled its 3920 pounds to 60 mph in 7.9 seconds and on through the quarter-mile in 16.1 seconds at 87 mph. Those are perfectly respectable numbers, but there are some quicker tall wagons out there, such as the Toyota RAV4 (6.3 seconds to 60 mph) and Subaru Forester 2.5XT (5.9). Neither of those can match the CX-7’s 0.84-g skidpad figure (Subaru, 0.75; Toyota, 0.79), though. Consider also that we averaged 14 mpg during testing, well below the EPA’s findings of 18/24 mpg." - Car and Driver

FlipandFunk said:
"With 244 horsepower at 5000 rpm, the CX-7 AWD Sport hauled its 3920 pounds to 60 mph in 7.9 seconds and on through the quarter-mile in 16.1 seconds at 87 mph. Those are perfectly respectable numbers, but there are some quicker tall wagons out there, such as the Toyota RAV4 (6.3 seconds to 60 mph) and Subaru Forester 2.5XT (5.9). Neither of those can match the CX-7s 0.84-g skidpad figure (Subaru, 0.75; Toyota, 0.79), though. Consider also that we averaged 14 mpg during testing, well below the EPAs findings of 18/24 mpg." - Car and Driver

C&D has the slowest CX-7 numbers I've seen yet. I have seen numbers as quick as 7.5 and 15.5 for the 1/4.

I got 20 mpg on my second tank (40/60 city/hwy), but this last weekend we took it to Tahoe and got 19.5 mpg round trip. I thought that was pretty good considering my husband was taking the mountain turns like a NASCAR roadcourse.

are you guys who get bad mileage staying out of boost? that's usually essential for getting good mileage on a turbo car, but the CX-7 would probably be too slow if you never boosted.

well, if you can pay for the car you can deal with the boost. Thats why we guys with slowteges have the cheapo car that takes them twisties =)

toucci said:
are you guys who get bad mileage staying out of boost? that's usually essential for getting good mileage on a turbo car, but the CX-7 would probably be too slow if you never boosted.

Nice Protege5....my last car before my RX 8 was the 5 and red just like yours...like what you have done to it! I am a female and when you say "boosted" do you just me mean get it to the point where the turbo kicks in? Is that around 2500 RPM's? Sorry I sound so nieve. Thanks!

boosting means turbo is kicking in aka spooling up.

So staying out of boost means keeping the rpm's and throttle low so the turbo doesn't start spooling up.

cruzdreamer said:
Nice Protege5....my last car before my RX 8 was the 5 and red just like yours...like what you have done to it! I am a female and when you say "boosted" do you just me mean get it to the point where the turbo kicks in? Is that around 2500 RPM's? Sorry I sound so nieve. Thanks!

What does being a girl have to do with it?

pluto316 said:
What does being a girl have to do with it?

We are not always as technically knowledgeable about the cars. I love cars but don't understand all the mechanics about them. I know many guys are in the same boat.

Lord_Zath said:
boosting means turbo is kicking in aka spooling up.

So staying out of boost means keeping the rpm's and throttle low so the turbo doesn't start spooling up.
Thanks for the info...I appreiate it.

cruzdreamer said:
We are not always as technically knowledgeable about the cars. I love cars but don't understand all the mechanics about them. I know many guys are in the same boat.

More guys than would care to admit it.

G-Papi said:
More guys than would care to admit it.

Yes, but why should all men feel that they should know all about the mechanics of cars...a bit of pressure on you guys, huh! I was on another thread and a guy was bashing a guy who didn't know a couple things about cars and I thought he was really being mean! We can love our cars without knowing everything about them.....most of us are not trained mechanics. It's cool to share your knowledge on these forums...it's where I have been learning some things and that is why I ask questions. As the saying goes...."there's never a dumb question". Thanks to all who take the time out to share, people like me appreciate it!! Wendy

Z_Monzter said:
(enguard) Right, I should have bought a Protege, perhaps yours right!!!

That's besides the point, the point is that CX-7 is advertized by Mazda to run 18-20 miles a gallon not 13.

Either way, this is getting old, notting to see here people, lets move on to something else. nate0123 is right, suck it up and drive on.

Point blank: Enjoy your new ride!!! And don't forget to drive it like you stole it!

I think you guys are jumping the gun. Both my 5 Sport and 3S got mediocre mileage for the first 12,000 or so miles (23 for the 3S and 20 for the 5). Now my 3S gets 28mpg mixed driving consistently, while the 5 is hovering around 26 mpg mixed consistently.

Mazda cars have traditionally been below average to avergae in terms of mielage, but I consider it more than acceptable given the zoo-zoom factor.

Give the CX-7 a break. And yeah if you cared so much about mileage then maybe you should have purchased a boring Honda fit :)

cruzdreamer said:

I've known countless ricer men, but only one ricer woman.

Back