100K MP5 Club

1) Keep on top of your maintenance
Change the oil every 3500-4000 miles
Check the oil every time you fill up
for automatics - drain and fill the ATF every 15k miles and change the filter every 4th time

2) When the CEL comes on - diagnose and fix it ASAP

3) spray fluid film or corrosion X-HD in every nook and cranny, seem, and exposed metal underneath the car - every other oil change

My commute isn't very long and the wife says we aren't allowed to take it on any long trips due to how rough it rides, how its broken down in the past, it's mostly rust, etc. Women and their grudges, amirite?

Plus I just bought this for our roadtripping. 2003 jetta tdi, manual.
Hey we have the same color p5! Wooo!

3 months of ownership of my White, manual trans, no option, 303,000 miles on 2002 P5 acquired from original owner in North Carolina. New to Mazda & Love it! Analog ICE car in world about to go electric. Just did by myself & 19 yr old: timing belt, vbelts, tensioner/idler, H2O pump, valve cover gasket/PCV, exhaust gaskets, control arms sway bar links and tie rod ends, Brembo brake pads, StopTech vented rotors. Has KYB but clunking. Working w AWR on making Koni inserts to go with Racing Beat coil springs. Goal is streetcar for Autocross/ local milk run car. Any suggestions on straight-pipe options for the 2nd cat replacement? Or simple rear muffler options? Any suggestions for best summer tires for 195/60R16?

Attachments

• 31746423-3DF3-4AF1-B495-A6D941EFB26D.jpeg
    31746423-3DF3-4AF1-B495-A6D941EFB26D.jpeg
    146.7 KB · Views: 404
Just passed 300,000 miles. Still on the original clutch; I just had the radiator replaced, though. It uses oil - but not too badly. I bought some blue stuff that really helped seal the rings and pistons so it doesn't smoke so much on start-up. Had my share of brake issues, and I CANNOT seem to figure out why it pulls to the right on the steering! But overall, what's not to like? Fun car to drive, gets good mileage, handles like a go-kart and still capable of high speeds.
300K tijuana taxi.jpg

Just passed 300,000 miles. Still on the original clutch; I just had the radiator replaced, though. It uses oil - but not too badly. I bought some blue stuff that really helped seal the rings and pistons so it doesn't smoke so much on start-up. Had my share of brake issues, and I CANNOT seem to figure out why it pulls to the right on the steering! But overall, what's not to like? Fun car to drive, gets good mileage, handles like a go-kart and still capable of high speeds.View attachment 301115
Mine is screaming at me at over 4K RPM by the time I get up there. Anything above that sounds absolutely terrifying.

300K is quite a milestone, are you the original owner?

3 months of ownership of my White, manual trans, no option, 303,000 miles on 2002 P5 acquired from original owner in North Carolina. New to Mazda & Love it! Analog ICE car in world about to go electric. Just did by myself & 19 yr old: timing belt, vbelts, tensioner/idler, H2O pump, valve cover gasket/PCV, exhaust gaskets, control arms sway bar links and tie rod ends, Brembo brake pads, StopTech vented rotors. Has KYB but clunking. Working w AWR on making Koni inserts to go with Racing Beat coil springs. Goal is streetcar for Autocross/ local milk run car. Any suggestions on straight-pipe options for the 2nd cat replacement? Or simple rear muffler options? Any suggestions for best summer tires for 195/60R16?
We have Completed the goal of sport/street car. This P5 now has 331,000 miles. Yes the P5 is great fun! it’s a car you can respectably take to the track and have a blast driving a slow car fast. Since my notes above here is what’s been done to create a vehicle that my teen / 20-something children drivers and I have created and used: Mobil1 oil changes every 4-5000 miles. Mishimoto radiator and all new hoses for coolant and EGR and PCV parts refreshed. Cork sport oil bronze shifter bushings installed. Vintage Recaro LS in classic black mouse fur upholstery installed with Wedge seat brackets for driver, same but Recaro LS seat on passenger side. Tony at AWR built the Koni 8610 race shocks in the old KYB strut housings with Racing Beat springs. This was not cheap. Only lowers the car 5/8” but handling is transformed. AWR polyurethane engine and trans mounts and Racing Beat resonator- back exhaust installed. AWR trailing arms and rear sway bar installed. Second set of stock P5 twist spoke wheels (16.4lbs) with Bridgestone RE-71R tires installed. Brembo solid rotors and braided lines with stock rebuilt calipers all around. Bought the last-I-could-find Hawk Brake HP Plus for the front and HPS for the rear and this seems to work for track. HP Plus can take a beating and hold up for multiple hot track weekends. Brembo front pads were usedDidn’t do Autocross (2023 goal) but took to Summit Point Shenandoah, Pocono North,Pocono Southeast CCW circuit, and car control clinic at Lime Rock Park FCP Euro wet skid pad and Autocross Course. Handles neutral, with the ability to rotate the car with throttle lift. Incredible! And Fun! On a rainy day at Pocono it was the best fun pushing the car at the limit! No ABS, no traction control. I have changed 2 Delphi passenger front lower control arms because the ball joints squeek within 7-8000 miles. When the driver side started to squeek I bought a NAPA pricier part that had a zerk fitting. On my third squeaky Delphi arm and I have been lubing it with a needle thru the top of the boot to eliminate the squeek and I check it for play every ~2000 miles. Very disappointed in the quality of this Delphi part. Positive terminal clamp on battery cable replaced in Auto Zone parking lot on drive back from Lime Rock- corrosion and vibration finally failed the original clamp. Lucky logistics for where this was to finally fail.

We have Completed the goal of sport/street car. This P5 now has 331,000 miles. Yes the P5 is great fun! it’s a car you can respectably take to the track and have a blast driving a slow car fast. Since my notes above here is what’s been done to create a vehicle that my teen / 20-something children drivers and I have created and used: Mobil1 oil changes every 4-5000 miles. Mishimoto radiator and all new hoses for coolant and EGR and PCV parts refreshed. Cork sport oil bronze shifter bushings installed. Vintage Recaro LS in classic black mouse fur upholstery installed with Wedge seat brackets for driver, same but Recaro LS seat on passenger side. Tony at AWR built the Koni 8610 race shocks in the old KYB strut housings with Racing Beat springs. This was not cheap. Only lowers the car 5/8” but handling is transformed. AWR polyurethane engine and trans mounts and Racing Beat resonator- back exhaust installed. AWR trailing arms and rear sway bar installed. Second set of stock P5 twist spoke wheels (16.4lbs) with Bridgestone RE-71R tires installed. Brembo solid rotors and braided lines with stock rebuilt calipers all around. Bought the last-I-could-find Hawk Brake HP Plus for the front and HPS for the rear and this seems to work for track. HP Plus can take a beating and hold up for multiple hot track weekends. Brembo front pads were usedDidn’t do Autocross (2023 goal) but took to Summit Point Shenandoah, Pocono North,Pocono Southeast CCW circuit, and car control clinic at Lime Rock Park FCP Euro wet skid pad and Autocross Course. Handles neutral, with the ability to rotate the car with throttle lift. Incredible! And Fun! On a rainy day at Pocono it was the best fun pushing the car at the limit! No ABS, no traction control. I have changed 2 Delphi passenger front lower control arms because the ball joints squeek within 7-8000 miles. When the driver side started to squeek I bought a NAPA pricier part that had a zerk fitting. On my third squeaky Delphi arm and I have been lubing it with a needle thru the top of the boot to eliminate the squeek and I check it for play every ~2000 miles. Very disappointed in the quality of this Delphi part. Positive terminal clamp on battery cable replaced in Auto Zone parking lot on drive back from Lime Rock- corrosion and vibration finally failed the original clamp. Lucky logistics for where this was to finally fail.
Also, Looks like Porterfield Brake or their Raybestos custom pads are the ticket for stock- brake Protege ES or Protege5 track /autocross application now… I forgot to mention that a Pope oil pan baffle was installed in the oil pan before the first track use of this car as well. I guess that it works as I had no oil pick-up issues. And some of the long sweepers driven at high lateral G (Harry’s Lap Timer says 0.99 best right hander and 0.84 G going left. Not sure why the disparity: driver, car, or track ?

Latest posts

Back