A/C shut off while under boost....what do you guys think?

Alejo_NIN

:
RadonElement.Com
i've had this idea going on for a while...

what if we get a boost-activated switch (can't be vaccum, has to be boost)
and plug it into the intake manifold...then splice the switch into the A/C clutch line (positive, oviously) and have the A/C be turned off while under boost...

Pros and Cons i see out of this..

Pros.

not having to manually turn off the A/C while wanting to gain speed on the highway...so there would not be much lag...

not boosting while A/C on, which increases your chances of blowing up the engine as stated by other forum member here (true??0

Cons.

maybe wearing out A/C compressor clutch??

and maybe wearing off A/C compressor...

any input appreciated

it just sucks to have to reach and turn off the A/C everytime you wanna race a riced out civic... lol...j/k

This idea is utilized on WRX's and STi's, however the design there is implemented to cut off the A/C compressor when under full throttle. Just to let you know its been put into cars from the factory. It'd be a good idea, maybe a little tricky to get to work completely as designed. Someone has to be a guinnea pig. :)

i bet you loose close to 15 to 20 HP

i'd be a guinea pig...i just need a boost activated switch that would open a circuit when positve pressure(boost) is applied to it
anyone has a part number for something like this????

are any of the solenoids in the msp already a boost activated cut-off switch??

it would be cool if you could rig this up so htat it cuts the compressor off at a certain boost level. it seems like you would wear it out if it cut off and on all the time.

Just to let you know, most new cars have wot (wide open throttle) cut off relays for the a/c, and i believe the mazdaspeed is also supplied with one from the factory.....(RTM)

j12rock31 said:
Just to let you know, most new cars have wot (wide open throttle) cut off relays for the a/c, and i believe the mazdaspeed is also supplied with one from the factory.....(RTM)
if so, then mine is broken...because it is slow as **** with the A/C on while WOT

Alejo_NIN said:
i bet you loose close to 15 to 20 HP

i'd be a guinea pig...i just need a boost activated switch that would open a circuit when positve pressure(boost) is applied to it
anyone has a part number for something like this????

are any of the solenoids in the msp already a boost activated cut-off switch??
I have just one thing to say about this....

You don't see racers asking the pit crew "you know what'd be great in here? An A/C..."

Besides, don't test the MSP Gods. They have been good to you... leave it at that. :p

laracroft said:

You don't see racers asking the pit crew "you know what'd be great in here? An A/C..."

Besides, don't test the MSP Gods. They have been good to you... leave it at that. :p
you mean is worthless??
stop talking in paraboles

in other words dont use the a/c. lol
laracroft said:

Mine definately cuts off at wide open throttle, but under part throttle conditions it will remain on and this is where you will lose power.........
Our cars are equip with a wot cut-off relay along with 99% of all new cars.....

I'm almost certain my '88 GTX has a WOT A/C cutoff. My previous GTX did. If they had it back then, I'll bet the MSP has it now. Hmm, will check that out tomorrow.

Also, I doubt the compressor uses 20 hp. I've always heard 7-10. It's more noticeable at part throttle and lower rpm's because your engine is making a lot less hp already.

Back