Help on Protege 1994

quesee08

Hello, I need help on my protege 1994. The problem started during the heat wave in California. During heat wave I notice that my temperature has gone up. Upon investigation, I notice that my second radiator fan is not working and has not been working ever since. The BIG radiator is working and can handle things before the heat wave. Anyway, I was able to troubleshoot the problem by changing the thermoswitch located at the top of the radiator. I got the thremoswitch from a pick n pull yard. The second radiator fan is working but for some reason, it turns ON only when the engine temperature is close to maximum HOT. I dont know why...is it possible the thermoswitch rating is not the correct specs for my car (i got it from the same protege but i am not sure about the year)? it there anything more to check?

Pls help and thanks !

Last edited:
The smaller fan is not a radiator fan in the same sense, it's for the A/C. When you turn A/C on, it should automatically turn that fan on.

MazKid said:
The smaller fan is not a radiator fan in the same sense, it's for the A/C. When you turn A/C on, it should automatically turn that fan on.

True..but the mazda service manual uses the term second radiator fan instead of AC coooling fan...Actually, I knew its for AC but for some reason I have a feeling its not entirely(correct me if I am wrong).this small fan is turned ON by thermoswitch which is actuated by relay # 2...but the thermoswitch is located on top the radiator...meaning, when the radiator reaches certain temperature, this thermoswitch turns ON and actuates relay # 2 thus turning this small FAN...so regardless if the AC is ON or NOT, does this fan supposed to work? it turns ON when AC is on because we know that turning AC ON puts too much load and heat transfer on the radiator...but i still dont know why my engine runs a little but high in temperature and why this AC cooling fan turns ON when temperature is very high....correct me If I am wrong.....

but anyway, in your mazda protege 1994, does this FAN automatically turns ON when you turn on AC? then stops when the temperature drops to certain level? what could be wrong?

98b/w pro said:
The a/c fan wont turn on if the engine is on fire if the a/c is off.
You can wire it to come on with your rad fan though.

but the AC fan is turned ON by this thermoswitch according to Hanes Mazda service manual....but anyway, maybe the relay 3 has something to do with it...it was not specified clearly....

If I wire it with my rad fan, is the motor for both of these fans have the same ampere rating? will it not damage the motor of small fan?

Back