Enable NAV while driving

JayHovah

:
Mazdaspeed 6
Hello All,

Newbie here to the Mazda world. Has anyone figured out any mods to allow the use of the NAV system while driving. I think this is a little too overboard on the part of the auto manuf. It should be perfectly safe for the passenger to change the NAV while in motion.

- JC -

va_cache said:
Waiting for this also. I agree, the passenger should be able to make entries.

I was also pretty bent about this. I think the lockout is going too far. My passenger should be able to operate the nav while the vehicle is in motion.

Question: Are you guys talking about the voice guidance? I set home and several destination points and when Im driving I hit the button and say "home" and it responds "Not in route guidance" so I say " Well take me to route guidance then!" and it says " I didnt understand you last command"? Is that what you guys are talking about? The nav wont allow you to turn route guidance on while you are driving?

Last edited:
I think there may be laws for this and even if there aren't, it's all about liability. Thank lawsuit-happy America for this one.

If you happen to be trying to go "home" or to one of your 10 presets, I think you can turn on navigation while you're driving. Maybe if you're trying to find a hospital or something like that, too.

As for using the voice command to "go home," I tried that once but didn't come up with the right syntax to use, and I never bothered looking it up.

the first step to finding ur answer is to find out who makes the radio navi, then maybe i may be able to help u

Im not sure who makes the nav unit....I think i read it somewhere but im too lazy to look it up. Right now Im not annoyed enough to really start reading and tinkering. Im sure Ill get there though

Hi Guys,
I actually got to talk to some Mazda higher up types (regional technical and sales managers) and I posed the NAV question to them. According to them its not as simple as cutting a wire. They said this one of the most asked questions they get. They said that these new systems are not simply wired in to know the car or engine is moving. They mentioned that its tied into the ABS/TCS ECU so its taking readings from all of the wheels and such so it can't easily be fooled. Take it for what its worth, straight from the horses mouth...

You'd think that if it was tied into all of that, they could have tied it into the front passenger seat sensor too, to let you at least use the damn thing when you have a front passenger.

Back