trouble shooting my big brakes

nealric

:
Carless :(
trouble shooting my big brakes

so I have now spent quite some time bleeding my willwood big brakes.
After 3 bleeding sessions, they are now stopping pretty well, but the pedal still feels like crap. Its generally pretty mushy until the brake pedal goes almost to the floor.

Is that normal with bigger brakes?

Do I need SS Brake lines?
Bigger master cylender (929?)
More bleeding?

i don't know too much about this but my guess would be ss brake lines and a bigger master cylinder because the bigger brakes have more pistons and they will need more fluid to get them to clamp down. but thats just my guesstemate

i have the wiwood brakes and i know just what you mean. the ss lines and the biger master swap will make the peddle feel like it is tock again. i hope at least.

hmm...

Pedal seems to have firmed up on its own.

New problem.

Went on a spirited (i.e. nutzo) canyon run (chyenne canyon rocks :D) in my p5 today. On the way down towards the bottom of the canyon, I got some of the loudest brake sqeal ever. What might I check.?

I did notice a lot of pad residue on the rotors and they were definetly quite toasty (ebc red stuff). Could it just be the nature of the pads?

yes. noise is normal with hi-po brakes. go to the track sometime and listen to the cars howl :)

You got the bad luck cause you bought them out from under me!!! No my guess is you didnt properly bleed the lines. And as for the lines, don't they come with SS lines already?

IMO, big brakes with rubber lines would = twice the mushy pedal than it is stock that no amount of bleeding can cure.

I was gonna recomend just pulling the trigger :p

/stupid post for the day ;)

Did you bleed the ABS pump if you have ABS?

Also, a smaller master cyl would bring the pedal up. A bigger one will make it feel even worse.

No advice for you, but where in colorado are you from? I'm up in fort collins.

Im in colorado springs.

wheres you get the big brake upgrade at? website?

You got the bad luck cause you bought them out from under me!!! No my guess is you didnt properly bleed the lines. And as for the lines, don't they come with SS lines already?

You can still get them from the e-racer.com guy for the same price. Im 90% sure they are the same brakes now.

Forum member. Im pretty sure its and assembled DIY kit from e-racer.com.

Last edited:
Back