What Have You Done To Your House Today?

Nothing yet. Just finishing moving in to the new place this weekend. Piles of boxes and furniture everywhere. It does have a big workbench, ceiling storage, two big overhead lights, and half the walls have pegboard so I can eventually get organized. Thinking of adding those pulley-type bike hangers.

I started moving garage stuff over to the new house last night. there's a random fooseball table in the garage, SCORE!

I don't have any of my tools in there yet but I do have my winter tires and one of my roommates winter tires, plus my full size spare and other misc tires that I have unmounted. If we do end up storing our bikes in the garage it'll be with either a wall mount rack or the cool pulley ones.

Oh and I'm going to do the tennis ball on a string thing for positioning my car in the garage. Couldn't do that in the current garage because it's fully finished and they wouldn't be pleased about a hook being screwed in. Depending on how motivated I get, I'm considering insulating in the garage, though probably no sheetrocking (I'm just renting the place lol). I'm sure the landlord wouldn't mind if I did some fixing up of the garage as long as I'm not adding things that will cost him a lot to maintain in the future.

I still need to buy some light fixtures for in there but I'll worry about that once I get moved in more. I should also probably buy a ladder so that I can get up into the rafters of the garage.

^^^ Bithcn' I love Being a Map b****.

Here is a new shot of the House..

Driveway%20-%20%281a%29.jpg

yashooa said:
You lucky bastards and your basements. No such luck in Texas. Where I am at you would have to dig it out of soild limestone. It would pretty much be your mini-limestone quarry :)

Yea, no basements here in Louisiana either. Being near sea level pretty much means constant flooding of a basement.

Brian MP5T said:
^^^ Bithcn' I love Being a Map b****.

Here is a new shot of the House..

What software are you using? Autocad Map? Esri?

Im not working in geo right now, have been mostly designing sub divisions and dealing with contractors on our sites. I just got my CET and CST certification (Certified Engineering Technologist, and Certified Survey Technologist). Definitly apply for your certificaton as a student, they give you free stuff.

geomatics_tech said:
What software are you using? Autocad Map? Esri?

Im not working in geo right now, have been mostly designing sub divisions and dealing with contractors on our sites. I just got my CET and CST certification (Certified Engineering Technologist, and Certified Survey Technologist). Definitly apply for your certificaton as a student, they give you free stuff.

ESRI GIS

So I've started to do the Basement.

I'm literally building a Theater in my house.. Not a living room with a TV... But a theater.

I started with simply a green line on the floor, added some studs. Framed it up and added Drywall..

I decided that double French doors at the bottom of a long staircase would look cool. They open into each other.

The lower part of the wall is covered in Pine and it separated by a piece of mounding.

SECOND ROW SEATING is going to be a raised part of the floor behind the first couch do that the room will be able to accommodate 10 Adults (or 30 Adults if they are put in a blender first.)

The Drop ceiling has three flush lights. On is a "Nacho Light" it's soul function is to light up the table with the nachos on it.

I wired in 110V to the inside of the wall unit so there would be no power wires to the stereo and all the speaker wires have been run inside the walls with terminals where the speakers are placed around the room.

Basically.. 115" screen in a dark room with a big stereo...

Still working on it so I'll post up some new shots when it's done..

Theater%20Project%20-%20%281%29.jpg

Theater%20Project%20-%20%282%29.jpg

Theater%20Project%20-%20%283%29.jpg

Theater%20Project%20-%20%284%29.jpg

Theater%20Project%20-%20%285%29.jpg

Theater%20Project%20-%20%286%29.jpg

Theater%20Project%20-%20%287%29.jpg

Theater%20Project%20-%20%289%29.jpg

Theater%20Project%20-%20(10).jpg

Theater%20Project%20-%20%2811%29.jpg

Theater%20Project%20-%20%2812%29.jpg

Theater%20Project%20-%20%2813%29.jpg

Ok So the unfinished wall looked like this..

Theater%20Project%20-%20(13).jpg

Here is a more refined picture of what it looks like..
Theater%20Project%20-%20(14).jpg

I dont know how I missed this thread...I am in the process of buying my first home right now. This gives me many good ideas!

Looks great brian. I'll take some pics of my place tomorrow to add here...

i had forgotten about this thread. In the last couple of weeks i have done a crapload stuff to the house.

I worked out a refi and i had an appraiser coming in last week. Problem? I ahd like 4 unfinished projects around the house. So i had 4 days to finish it all. WHat i accomplished?

-Finished removing wallpaper out of kitchen walls, primed and pianted them. To give you an idea of how big these walls are? i spent 5 gallons of paint. High cathedral ceilings are a b****.

-Repainted trim in kitchen

-Changed all the switches and outlets in the kitchen/dining/living room from the ugly beige to the pure white goodness.

-Remodeled my bathroom. Including painting all wall. New light fixtures/ cabinets and vanity. New hardware as well. Did some elctrical work too.

-Removed a TON of stuff from the front yard that i didnt take care of this summer. A lot of overgrown and dead plants. That sucked.

That was before the appraisal. Which i am happy to say it was a success. House appraised 50k in 17 months.

Since then, this week i decided to re do the laundry room. I re did all the plumbing and venting for the dryer. Removed some counter tops i had there as well as cabinets. I finished it last night and decided to do a load of laundry.
Guess what? at some point while moving the washer it must have broken or something. It started draining water from underneath, not through the hose and there was no issue with the plumbing. It seems like the drain pump may have died, or something along those lines. I dont have to tell you i was pissed that all my work went to s***.

All day trimming bush...no not the wife, the landscaping. 10 bags worth & that wasn't even the backyard/pool area. Da home owns me dammit! I work all week then I have to work for the mortgage company on weekends. Still beats aprtments tho.......................I guess.

Just finished installing $8K worth of Pella replacment windows (20 to be exact). Had somebody come and clad them. Sealed the driveway, put up a fence and planted some trees. I cannot wait for it to snow!

Ok, So the second floor seating is almost done.

It is a 2x4 Frame spaced 6 inches appart, covered by two layers of 3/4" Ply and a 1/4 Inch Finished surface ply.
It's getting a light stain and 7 coats of urathane..

All stuck firmly together with ten tubes of contractors glue (I'm So Stonned)

I'll post pictures..

Basically, You could have a Mosh Pit and then drop an Atom Bomb on it and it would be the only thing standing.

I think it will stop a 30 Cal..

Also in the process of building my first house. It will be a while until the basement or garage are done.

Our lot:
grid.jpg

The progess as of last sunday
0.jpg

The same floorplan as our house, only we're gonna be a left hand garage.
glenwood.jpg

Went to the design center this week Tuesday and picked out our interior stuff. . .great fun. We have a pre-construction meeting on tuesday. Apparently the foundation will be have been poured by then.

Sadly, we could only afford the 2 car garage, so the MR2 will sit in the garage and the MP3 will be an outdoors 24/7 car. :(

I like these sort of Project/Docu threads...I still live in an apartment but in the long term I hope to have a new house built with all the goodies...Garage, mini-theater, office and if I'm still in Japan...my own tea house and garden...;)

Keep posting updates and pics guys...Thanks!

Back