So why don't they advertise the thing!?

monsta

Contributor
:
06 5 Touring, 07 Sport
It drives me crazy that manaufacturer's won't advertise certain cars/trucks!

My Excursion was never advertised but was always ripped negatively by the press as being a gas guzzler and it was subsequently dropped after 5 years. it is one of the safest, fuel efficent (using passenger & cargo formula) on the market. Or was...

I think if Mazda doesn't get off thier butt then the Awesome 5 may join the ranks.

Have you seen an advertisement for this car on TV or in print?

Yup, I actually learned about the Mazda5 on a frequently run commercial over the Torino Olympics. That commercial is the reason I have one on order.

That being said, the Mazda5 is having GREAT success in this country (and Canada)... from what I understand exceding Mazda's sales goals for it. Also, Mazda has never really been aggressive with advertising any model in the USA. Canada seems like more of a target for them... probably because Honda and Toyota have such a strong hold down here.

FWIW, I ordered my 2007 Mazda5 back in May... it's still another week or two until it's scheduled for build and another month until it's delivered. There's a nice backlog on 'em ;)

That maybe the case where you are, but MAzda's been advertising the 5 pretty well. Print ads, and Tv commercials abound! Just wish they had another cmmercial airing here other than the daddy infant carrier one!

Having said that I don;t think Mazda really needs to advertise! the back order for a 5 is soo long that it's not funny! Jandree22 can tell you. I had a 4 -5 month wait for mine had a dealer trade not been found! They are soo popular, why would Mazdfa need to really put the money into advertising??

They prolly already paid for the advert well in advance. They just didn't forsee the huge success

It's called MARKETING PLAN REVISION Mazda

monsta said:
My Excursion .....is one of the safest, fuel efficent (using passenger & cargo formula) on the market. Or was...QUOTE]

You have got to be kidding me, safe for who? The only thing those land yachts do is up the ante on the "who can buy the biggest, heaviest car on the market. They are not safe, at least the rest of the motoring public.

Not that I like paying North of $3.00 a gallon of gas, but at least it's finally making people think about the cars they drive. A good friend of my piles his family into his Taurus because it's just too expensive to run errands in their Expedition. He keeps kicking himself for buying that over a new Odyssey (they both can seat 8). As for towing, he has yet to tow anything even though that was deciding factor on the Expedition.

-Mike

i kinda like that I don't see too many mazda5s on the road. i see tons of matrixes..matrices... whatever, pt cruisers and hhrs on a daily basis. it's nice not having a car that everyone and their momma drives. that can't be said about my wrx. there's shitloads in my neighborhood.

i don't think i've seen any tv ads, but maybe a print ad, although i don't specifically remember where or when.

mountjonas said:
that can't be said about my wrx. there's shitloads in my neighborhood.
lol, the other day, I s*** you not, I saw a little old lady driving a WRB bugeye! That's the coolest granny 3v4R! (lol2)

haha, yeah, i saw a lady that must've been in her 50's driving a wrb bugeye with the full factory body kit. i had to do a double take.

So advertising must be a Canadian thing. :) I've not seen one TV or print ad for it and there are many sitting idle in the dealer's lot.

~~~~~~
Mike= said:
You have got to be kidding me, safe for who(m)? The only thing those land yachts do is up the ante on the "who can buy the biggest, heaviest car on the market". They are not safe, at least, not to the rest of the motoring public.
Mike, stop it! (hand) :D When you got 4 kids, 3 dogs all the crap that goes with them and then add two horses in a trailer to drag around (or sometimes all the quads and dirtbikes), a CRV (et al) certainly ain't gonna cut it. Gas for me has been north of $3 for a LOT longer than most US citizens. Never been a big factor, honestly. I'm invested in oil futures. As for safe...my first one saved the life of my family when an out of control kid in a car slammed into us. Size does matter in most instances. Not to sound too crass but I put MY family's safety first.

But in my biggest defense, I use mine for what it was designed for. Not to pimp around in. It is rarely driven with no cargo or passengers or something in tow. And I don't use it for errands...that's what my 5 is for! Zoom-Zoom. :)

Last edited:
jandree22 said:
lol, the other day, I s*** you not, I saw a little old lady driving a WRB bugeye! That's the coolest granny 3v4R! (lol2)
On that same line...I passed a Dodge SRT-10 today with a 60+ year old woman driving it!! (omg)

monsta, it's really refreshing to finally hear of someone using one of those trucks the way it's supposed to be! Used and abused. I do believe there are other very effective ways than just sheer size and weight to be safe in a car (crumple zones/airbags/accident avoidance), however you are no less correct in that your truck definately provides safety for your family.

I've always wondered why Mazda doesn't advertise them either. Even Mazda dealer ads where they show like 5-6 Mazdas, they could have at least thrown the 5 in the background of the group shop.

I've never seen the 5 in a commercial and the only print ads I've seen are in parenting mom magazines.

This isn't really proactive advertising, but it did leave me with a good feeling. When I was in the dealership ordering my 5 back in May (sigh... May) there were about 2 or 3 other families in there purchasing different models of vehicles. They had a Platinum Silver Mz5 in the center of the showroom and I think I overheard each of those other families express a question or positive remark about it. It definately creates a buzz and is easily advertised by word of mouth.

monsta said:
So advertising must be a Canadian thing. :) I've not seen one TV or print ad for it and there are many sitting idle in the dealer's lot.

~~~~~~

Mike, stop it! (hand) :D When you got 4 kids, 3 dogs all the crap that goes with them and then add two horses in a trailer to drag around (or sometimes all the quads and dirtbikes), a CRV (et al) certainly ain't gonna cut it. ...............Not to sound too crass but I put MY family's safety first.

But in my biggest defense, I use mine for what it was designed for. Not to pimp around in. It is rarely driven with no cargo or passengers or something in tow. And I don't use it for errands...that's what my 5 is for! Zoom-Zoom. :)

As another poster mentioned, at least you use it as it was designed.

However with regards to YOUR family, just remember MY family is out there too! My older brother, his wife and daughter were all killed by a driver (single person, no passengers, no cargo) in an Excursion when she lost control of her land yacht and plowed right into them in the oncoming lane. My brother's family was in Camry. The highway patrol resolved that the Excursion's high rate of speed in the rain, coming out of a curve, caused the accident. She was neither impaired nor talking on a cell phone. I never got to say goodbye to my brother or sister-in-law, but I was there at the hospital (bedside) when my niece died a few days after the accident.

The driver's apology to our family was simply, "I thought since I was driving an SUV, I had better control on the road, I'm really sorry." Most drivers of these dead-mobiles are not qualified to drive them nor do they need them (i.e. - the woman that killed my brother's family...her husband, 1 child and herself). We later found out the womans previous car was a Honda Civic; she and her husband bought the Excursion for THEIR family.

So just remember, it's not just about YOUR family, we all have families on the road! It's not about driving the biggest, heaviest vehicle possible. We all have responsibility to the general public. Otherwise, we'll all be driving Bradley Assault Vehicle in the near term.

-Mike

Mike, while I personally am not a fan of SUV's myself, it's not fair to blame EVERYONE that drives one. I'm truly sorry for the loss of your family... that's horrible and my heart goes out to you. But because of one idiot driver now you have a vendetta against all SUV's and their drivers? Fact of the matter is, a rider on a 600lb motorcycle going fast enough could still kill the occupants of a Camry. Accidents are just that, accidents. It's sad and tragic. Once again... I'm sorry for your loss.

FWIW, you can't tow a 2 horse trailer with a Mazda5... he needs his truck. Just let him be.

jandree22 said:
Mike, while I personally am not a fan of SUV's myself, it's not fair to blame EVERYONE that drives one. I'm truly sorry for the loss of your family... that's horrible and my heart goes out to you. But because of one idiot driver now you have a vendetta against all SUV's and their drivers? Fact of the matter is, a rider on a 600lb motorcycle going fast enough could still kill the occupants of a Camry. Accidents are just that, accidents. It's sad and tragic. Once again... I'm sorry for your loss.

FWIW, you can't tow a 2 horse trailer with a Mazda5... he needs his truck. Just let him be.

Thank you for your kind words.

Actually I don't blame all SUV drivers. Monsta has a demostrated need for such a vehicle. I do however take exception to people driving such a huge vehicle just for the sense of safety, while ignoring the rest of the motoring public, especially when large SUV actually more dangerous....http://www.suv.org/safety.html (here's a nice fact...light trucks (SUVs etc) account for 30% of the vehicles on the road, however they account for more than 50% of fatal accidents.

It's not the cars (SUV) that are the problem, it that people do not know how to drive them. Do you think the women that killed my brother and his family knew how to drive a big vehicle like that after only having driven small compacts? Take a look at the site I referenced above. Based on the data there I would have to say a large percentage of the SUV driving public does not know how to drive their trucks and have a false sense of security. And it those people I have a problem with.

BTW, I drive an SUV (if you can call a CR-V an SUV). However I know that it cannot perform like a car around curves and braking and my wife and drive it as such!

-Mike

I've seen it advertised in a few parenting magazines... I guess that's the target market.

(pulling this thread back on topic)

I have the 5 AND the Excursion (Diesel), and both have their purpose. While I don't tow anything regularly with the Excursion, I have towed a few trailers, and believe me, the 5 could NOT have towed what the 'Scursion did.

I get about 18 mpg in the Excursion, but it is the safer vehicle for my family, whom I bought it for. It's not that I have a disregard for the safety of other families, but I wanted the safest vehicle for MY family. I know accidents do happen, but neither my wife or I have never had an at fault injury accident (that is a combined 43 years of driving).

We have taken the Excursion from Dallas/Ft Worth to Colorado , to Virginia Beach (1400 miles each way), and once to Utah. We have made several trips to Kansas and back also. We have taken the 5 to Kansas, but for the longer trips (usually hockey tournements) we just need the space of the Excursion.

I wished Mazda advertised the 5 here in the Dallas market, because I found out about the 5 online. I was looking at all the larger reputable manufacturers and found the 5. I knew once I looked at it, that it was the most practical vehicle out there.

I have never seen an ad (radio, print, or TV) for the 5 whatsoever.

Matt

Getting back to the advertising thread...

Here is some marketing info on the European versions. www.theallnewmazda5.com The UK version is interesting and makes me a little disappointed that there is nothing for the US and Canada versions. As a new owner (aren't we all?) I can attest that it was more difficult to find information about the Mazda5 than it should be. I stumbled across a reference to it and told my wife that it was worth a look even though I didn't know for sure what it was. Two days later we had one in our driveway, no thanks to any of Mazda's marketing efforts. I'd already ruled out MPVs so wasn't even looking at Mazda.

Here's one section from that link that I don't quite understand. "With all seven people on board you can still fit in a folded stroller and two crates of bottled drinks. Or alternatively, you can fit in two sets of golf bags - remove the lid of the boot compartment and a 9-inch golf bag can be loaded sideways! "

What is this "boot compartment"? Are golf club bags smaller in the UK? It sounds like they're saying one golf bag can go in back and one can go under the lid in the boot compartment, whatever that is. Maybe they don't have a spare tire on their version.

A few other things I noticed--the UK version comes with either a gas, diesel, or turbocharged diesel. And either a 5 speed manual with gas or a 6 speed manual with diesel. Also, traction and dynamic stability control are available as options. I hope Mazda is working on those for the North American versions. Dynamic stability control is a much bigger safety enhancer than people realize, especially in snowy areas.

Jon

Back