Hatch Trim Panel Removal Help

aMaff

High Speed Low Drag
:
1992 Miata / 2003 Pathfinder
So, like the title says, I'm trying to get the trim panel off of the hatch. Either one of the fasteners broke, or the panel did on the inside, because at one of the corners, it's hanging off of the hatch, and rattling every time I close it or drive over a bump. Anyway, here's what I've got:
HatchPanel.jpg

Problem being, that doesn't help. Not even a little bit (besides showing where all the fasteners are lol). Will it come off by just pulling? It says it needs a "fastener remover," but I've never owned or used one, and I wouldn't know what it looks like, or if there's a specific one I need.

Any advice?

i don't know about the rear hatch cover but the door panels, after removing 3 screws just pulls off

cilyjr said:
i don't know about the rear hatch cover but the door panels, after removing 3 screws just pulls off
but i don't recomend just pulling on it look around carefully. if i have time tomorrow i will look at mine and see if i can find anything ...good luck

when I took mine off I just pulled the s*** out of it and it popped right off and I didn't break anything. It feels and sounds like stuff is breaking but it's not. sometimes the metal clips pop off of the plastic holder but just use some pliers and tighten them by squeezing them and replace them. then to put it back on just make sure all the clamps are in place and tap the panel and you should hear them 'pock' into place.

thanks a lot man, I think that's what I'm gonna have to do...

Yeah I've done it a few times and now I'm missing 1 or 2 of the clips so it rattles. I wonder if you can just buy the clips :)

I'm pretty sure you can. Friend of mine works at a mazda dealership, I'll call him tomorrow and find out. Thanks for the help guys, now I just need to figure out which one is broken. Tomorrow's project! :p

KanseiZM said:
I wonder if you can just buy the clips :)

Yes you can. I'm about to pull this trim panel off again for sound deadening and I'll get the part number. I picked up a handful of those clips from my local dealer before I pulled it off the first time. Those clips tweak easily - also, make note off where they are in the diagram and use the palm of your hand to make sure they are snapped into place (smack the panel hard). One last thing - these clips fit into a square cutout in the sheet metal. One of my "square holes" got a side pulled out of shape when I pulled the clip out and even with a new clip it would not sit flush. I hade to go back and tweak things back into shape with a plastic mallet.

ah, you've gotta love harbor freight (shady). Thanks for the link

I left it off for a while but it is noticeably quieter with it back on, rattles and all. I think I'm missing 3 or 4 of the clips at this stage.

Back