I'm going nuts.... different USDM taillights???

Benfolio

:
06 Mazda 5 - '01 P71
Okay. Call me crazy.

I had my 5 in the shop here for a rattle/tapping noise in the dash, and right across the shop another 5 Sport was in for a oil dump. Same color as mine, but without the spoiler and sills.

Now. It didn't occur to me until it was being pulled out (tech backed it up to my window just about) that the tail lights were not as chome as mine, In fact, they looked kinda grey. Not the lenses, they weren't tinted. Nothing on the car was modified. But mine definately looked chrome-er.

Just in case I checked the catalog, but I already knew, only one part # for tail lights.

I even ran the guy's VIN and mine, nothing different excpet the build date and the Preferred Option package.

So was I seeing things? Or did the earlier July '05 build 5's get darker tail lamps than my December '05 built van?

I vote for the former :confused:

I actually came here looking for the 2007 5 thread because it made a big deal out of the 'black' tail lights and talked badly about their 'chrome' tail lights. I have the Silver Platinum and my tail lights are grey with chrome trim. They are not completely chrome as I saw on the Strato Blue. So, that isn't a big deal to me as I think the grey would be a better alternative to black.

Well, maybe there is something to it after all... here's what mine look like :

25108098_c9fae0f2de_d.jpg

Last edited:
Yea, see you have mine, and I thought that's how they all are. But someone got excited about the 2007 black lights and bad mouthed the chrome. I then saw a blue strato and it had the 100% chrome lights. So I then understood that their are two lights and I'm glad I have the grey ones.

You need to get that boy tinted!

my whitewater peral has 100% chrome lights.

Interesting that Mazda would vary the backlights based on color of the car...

Mine are definitely grey. Then the brighter chrome circle just around the light themselves. I just went and looked.

I want to see a real picture of the all chrome.

I say we all post pictures of our rear ends ;)

Kid Red said:
Yea, see you have mine, and I thought that's how they all are. But someone got excited about the 2007 black lights and bad mouthed the chrome. I then saw a blue strato and it had the 100% chrome lights. So I then understood that their are two lights and I'm glad I have the grey ones.

You need to get that boy tinted!

Already done, that's an old picture. :)

Kid Red said:
ladygrey- There's a pic of a blue 5 in the 2007 5 thread, first page with the 100% chrome tails.

Yeah, but that's a marketing photo from the mazda site - they probably brightened up the chrome look to make it pop. I'm not convinced. I just looked at all the pics in the tint thread and they all look the same to me. Not too bright brushed silver back, bright chrome around the circle of the light. Sometimes the lighting seems to make it brighter, but I think they are all the same. I thought mine was all chrome until I went outside to look at it.

Either way, I much prefer what we have to those black things - yuck.

I'll take a picture after I wash mine and put the bumper protector on later.

Wuster said:
Interesting that Mazda would vary the backlights based on color of the car...

Actually, if you look at the first post in the thread ...

"I had my 5 in the shop here for a rattle/tapping noise in the dash, and right across the shop another 5 Sport was in for a oil dump. Same color as mine, but without the spoiler and sills."

Same color, different tails. Might be as he said, based on the manufacture date... hmmm...

perfecto said:
Actually, if you look at the first post in the thread ...

"I had my 5 in the shop here for a rattle/tapping noise in the dash, and right across the shop another 5 Sport was in for a oil dump. Same color as mine, but without the spoiler and sills."

Same color, different tails. Might be as he said, based on the manufacture date... hmmm...

Ah, but I am an empiricist at heart. That is 2nd hand heresay evidence (no offense to Benfolio ;)). I want an undoctored photo of the pure chrome (Wuster can you post a pic?)... If they had any on the lot at my dealership I'd go take a look, but the last time I checked they didn't.

Ok, I've added pictures of mine...

Attachments

• car_taillight.jpg
    car_taillight.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 331
  • car_back.jpg
    car_back.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 251
  • car_ds.jpg
    car_ds.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 277
Last edited:
Benfolio said:
So was I seeing things? Or did the earlier July '05 build 5's get darker tail lamps than my December '05 built van?

Mine was built in Sept. 05 and the lights are definitely grey - see above.

Can you post a pic of yours Benfolio?

lame! ours are that retarded chrome. i'd love to switch to the euro red ones, but that's money that could go into other stuff, like my wrx.

Then maybe it's only certain color 5s? The Blue Strato I saw I swore had the chrome lights. Anyone here have the blue? All the photos thus far are of grey and white 5s.

I am not insane, I am not insane, I am not insane.....

post-2-1145400387.jpg

Taken the day she came home.

Chrome.

WTF.

Umm.... pulled ALL the tail lights I have in stock. They're all gray. Only one number in the catalog for the assembly and the lens. I have both in stock for both sides.
Found a car on the lot with chrome tails.
Took a pic:

post-12-1151448380.jpg

Waiting on my answer from Mazda, should have it tomorrow.

oh snap... they are different... glad mine are the charcoal one... even the ones i have i find em too "altezza". still prefer the euro ones... just not too crazy about em circle lights, and chrome trimmings

Attachments

• PICT0001.JPG
    PICT0001.JPG
    45.1 KB · Views: 157
Just walked the lot (slow day)... lookee here:
post-12-1151449411.jpg

The whites and blue ones have the grey, but the black and grey have chrome. The grey one is a touring, mine is a sport. So that's not the difference either.

Yet the beige one and red one have chrome, so it's not that the lighter colors get grey either, because on the 1st page there's a beige with grey tails.....

post-12-1151449424.jpg

So confusing.....

Back