How to remove tiny black spots off my paint?

avhed

I have a lot of tiny black spots on my body paint. The bigger of them I have removed by finger nail. Some of the smaller ones I used Bug Tar to remove.
What can I use on the rest?
I believe this is road tar adhering because I have neglected to put wax on it.(I know : DUMB!!)

Clay bar is a great suggestion. Make sure to use plenty of the "spray detailer" or whatever the clay bar maker suggests, as well as turning/folding the clay over frequently. That's probably the fastest/easiest way to get rid of the marks.

Here's another vote for clay bar. Always go with the least aggressive method first.

avhed said:
I have a lot of tiny black spots on my body paint. The bigger of them I have removed by finger nail. Some of the smaller ones I used Bug Tar to remove.
What can I use on the rest?
I believe this is road tar adhering because I have neglected to put wax on it.(I know : DUMB!!)
I've manager a few bodyshops for over 12 years
First try using rubbing alcohol or gas line antifreeze as they are vertually the same, this works the best on tree sap.
If that don't work use a paint company wax & grease removal cemical.
Then if that don't work & your extreemly carefull you can use paint thinner. We using paint thinner use in in a small spot & wipe it off. then let it dry before you go at it again. Thinner will some time make the paint soft so don't over use & again be careful.

I was gonna recommend claybar, but damnit, others have already. I had the same thing. claybar, then 4 different buffing, polishing, and wax compouds and an oscillating buffer. It is like glass now.

FTW said:
I've manager a few bodyshops for over 12 years
First try using rubbing alcohol or gas line antifreeze as they are vertually the same, this works the best on tree sap.
If that don't work use a paint company wax & grease removal cemical.
Then if that don't work & your extreemly carefull you can use paint thinner. We using paint thinner use in in a small spot & wipe it off. then let it dry before you go at it again. Thinner will some time make the paint soft so don't over use & again be careful.

Uhhh...go with the claybar before you use the radioactive waste on there. I would go to a random orbital and a gentle polish if that doesn't work. Step the polish up in intensity until it does work. I'm not a fan of putting paint thinner or intense chemicals on a car's finish. Not a good idea unless as an absolute last resort. Body shops do a LOT of things that aren't good practice. Ever seen a car roll out of a body shop that has just been "polished" with a rotary by someone who didn't know how to properly use it? Looks like this...

IMG_15311.jpg

SHOULD look like this...

IMG_15361.jpg

(Credit to vdog0531 over at Autopia for his work on this S2000)

Back