iPod connection on CX-7

At present you can only connect a line out from the until thru the dash. But Mazda will be having a ipod connection kit which can even control by the until next year and it cost about $400..

simonxda said:
At present you can only connect a line out from the until thru the dash. But Mazda will be having a ipod connection kit which can even control by the until next year and it cost about $400..
?????????????? Explain, you have me a lil' confused about Mazda will be having a ipod connection kit which can even control. Thanks

Just had the ipod adapter/connector installed on my CX-7 (with Bose Audio Package). Have to say I can't really recommend anyone getting this thing installed - its just not worth it. Mine included two parts - one to connect the iPod to the radio and charge it, the other to allow limited radio/steering wheel control of the iPod. First of all - beware of the massive installation charge - its a 3 hour job, with the average Mazda dealership charging $100/hour (Canadian), you're looking at $300 just to get it installed. Add to that the device itself costs about $150/part, so add another $300 to the bill. And what do you get for all that? Your iPod is locked up and hidden in the glove box, no text/track info display on the console, frustrating linear artist/track search. The "Next CD" controls on your radio navigate you through the artists on your iPod, while the "skip song" controls navigate you through the individual songs. If you have several CD's by one artist, you have to skip through every song on CD1 to get to CD2 - not good cause it takes your attention off the road.

As much as I enjoy having my iPod and entire CD collection at my fingertips - $600 is a lot to pay for such a basic device with limited functionality.

You can do much better with the Audio Link iPod Integration Kit setup from The RPM store. Assuming you don't the the Navigation or Satellite radio installed this is the way to go. I installed the MP3 version in under 1/2 hour including remove the Head Unit. Here's are the links for $124.00 each.

http://www.therpmstore.com/product_info.php?cPath=116&products_id=142
OR
http://www.therpmstore.com/product_info.php?cPath=25&products_id=141

simonxda said:

late build CX-7s have an auxilary input jack just like what the 07 mazda3 has... as for the ipod adapter kit from mazda, they are still working on making it work with the navi system

mixmasterlove said:
?????????????? Explain, you have me a lil' confused about Mazda will be having a ipod connection kit which can even control. Thanks

I took my car last friday and a check with the sales guy that a new accessories for ipod than install into the compartment and can be control by the bose system and this only available from Mazda next year. :)

I gave up waiting. Today I got my xtremeMac Airplay Boost for the 2nd generation nano. At first I was very disappointed using station 87.9 in my city ... lots of static and poor signal. My little guy (age 7.5), asked what was all that noise on the radio ???

Then, tried another empty station 91.9 and so far, knock on wood, it is working much better. I can live with that. The real problem will be when I hit the road for our march ski trip. As we go from town to town the empty stations change and my wife will have to find a new FM station to migrate to.
So far, I can say that changing stations is a whole lot better than the first generation iTrip.

Until Mazda comes up with a wired solution for NAV, I will put up with this.

Thom_y said:
I gave up waiting. Today I got my xtremeMac Airplay Boost for the 2nd generation nano. At first I was very disappointed using station 87.9 in my city ... lots of static and poor signal. My little guy (age 7.5), asked what was all that noise on the radio ???

Then, tried another empty station 91.9 and so far, knock on wood, it is working much better. I can live with that. The real problem will be when I hit the road for our march ski trip. As we go from town to town the empty stations change and my wife will have to find a new FM station to migrate to.
So far, I can say that changing stations is a whole lot better than the first generation iTrip.

Until Mazda comes up with a wired solution for NAV, I will put up with this.
I told you the Xtremec AirPlay was good. I will keep everyone updated as soon as I hear something, I will send him a email now.

to echo mixmaster and to reiterate my own issues with FM...

If you have a commute that spans a good distance in an area whos airwaves are densly populated, you will run into frequency issues.

I (reluctantly) got an FM solution which worked GREAT when staionary and given the time to find the right frequency... but my commute to work (which just increased) is almost 50-miles each way and I needed to continuously keep scanning stations numerous times throughout my commute just to find tollerable signal availability.

For some of us - FM is just not a viable option. :(

TheMAN said:
late build CX-7s have an auxilary input jack just like what the 07 mazda3 has... as for the ipod adapter kit from mazda, they are still working on making it work with the navi system

How does one know if they have an auxiliary input jack? I have the tech package & sirius & I don't have a jack on the front, so either I am out of luck or its somewhere else. Living right outside NYC, open radio frequencies cannot be located, so an FM modulator might be my best option if ther eis no jack. Of course with Sirius and a 6 disc MP3 changer, its not like I need my ipod to work.

I just picked up my CX-7 and I believe it is a recent build, as the dealer took delivery of it within the week I bought it.

I'd be interested to hear about the supposed auxiliary jack in later models too -- I honesty don't think they exist... maybe it's a plan for the future.

CXRabbit said:
I'd be interested to hear about the supposed auxiliary jack in later models too -- I honesty don't think they exist... maybe it's a plan for the future.

So Rabbit, How are you likin' the remote start? Ace

Ace,

LOVE it, love it love it! I'll never have a car again without ;)

At this point I only have two gripes... one is minor... I'm not getting great gas mileage. 18.18 is the highest I've gotten and that's with driving more highway mileage than I normally do. I'm going to wait it out, but I expected/hoped to get more like 20 with mixed highway/around-town driving. I won't know until the end of this tank, but it appears I'm only getting about 14 mpg right now on this fill-up with ALL around-town driving. I've got almost 2,000 miles on her.

My other gripe is lack of iPOD!!! ;)

CXRabbit said:
Ace,

LOVE it, love it love it! I'll never have a car again without ;)

At this point I only have two gripes... one is minor... I'm not getting great gas mileage. 18.18 is the highest I've gotten and that's with driving more highway mileage than I normally do. I'm going to wait it out, but I expected/hoped to get more like 20 with mixed highway/around-town driving. I won't know until the end of this tank, but it appears I'm only getting about 14 mpg right now on this fill-up with ALL around-town driving. I've got almost 2,000 miles on her.

My other gripe is lack of iPOD!!! ;)

A good Ipod retrofit input should be coming. It's standard on the CX-9. Your mileage should improve after a few more miles. Back off the leadfoot :) Are you going to run synthetic? That should help a bit also. Ace

Ace,

Next oil change I might go synthetic... wanna read more a bit about it. And yeah, I am a bit of a lead-foot, but come on, it's fun! ;) -- seriously though, I have tried to be conscious of how I drive and I'm really surprised at how poorly I seem to be doing this time around (this tank of gas). I was seeing mostly upward progress as the car breaks in, but this is a real set-back... but we'll see when I actually fill up.

And yeah, I'm TRYING to be patient about the iPod thing. Not only will there by an aux input, but I'm waiting on what their adaptor for the nav system will be like... I know the non-nav-system one really sucks but I'm still holding out hope.

Latest posts

Back