The Stock Speakers Suck Pretty Hard...

PowrSlave

:
Protege5
At least I am guessing anyway. I have an aftermarket Pioneer head unit installed that puts out 50 watts per chan (max) and even at merely moderate volumes the bass is distorted and sounds like total crap.

My question is: is the distortion the result of crappy stock speakers or is it the result of an underpowered head unit. I am leaning toward the speakers being the culprit, but since I just got this car, you guys probably know better.

I just want it to sound better when it is louder, I don't want an external amp or sub or anything.

hm i have to admit, when i bough my first item, the headunit, the stock speakers did sound pretty good but they were not able to play loudly...

same thing happened to me

with the stock headunit they sounded ok, then i got mu new HU and they couldn't handle the power :(

They suck. If you take off any of the panels to look at them you can see how flimsy the paper cones are.

well, they're broadband speakers, so typical limitations apply and just because the cones are made of pressed paper,doesn't mean they'r bad..

You have enough power in the HU probably 22W RMS. Once you get some better speakers you notice a huge difference. I put 6x8 Kenwood eXcelons in the front and 6.5 eXcelons in the back running off my Kenwood HU and I love the way it sounds. Clean, clear and enough bass for me.

TStar said:
well, they're broadband speakers, so typical limitations apply and just because the cones are made of pressed paper,doesn't mean they'r bad..

If you are in a car and don't see any advertisements for the speaker manufacturer anywhere you can pretty much guarantee they are bad.

im amazed that my stock HU drives my 2 12" M.A. 700W subs pretty good, they sound great. of course the volume is at max in order for them to kick hard, but hey i still shut people down with em...im at 3 now

had one car drive off cuz my subs blew his away lol (we were in a parking lot)

my stock speakers were ok but they didn't ever sound great. after about a month with a alpine head unit i blew the driver side speaker. i replaced them last week with infinity reference 5x8s and the diference unbelieveable! i say spend the 100 or so and get new speakers pulling off the door panel is a snap, you won't regret it!!!

Please tell me you are kidding about running subs off the deck and having it sound loud and/or decent.

my speakers have there moments, some types of music they shine other types it sounds like i am listening to music from a cup with a piece of string through it.

Beau M said:
Please tell me you are kidding about running subs off the deck and having it sound loud and/or decent.

I was thinking the same thing... how and why ?

But yeah my stock speakers lasted 2 weeks after I got the car... I still have them just in case I need to put them suckers back

redpr5 said:
im amazed that my stock HU drives my 2 12" M.A. 700W subs pretty good, they sound great. of course the volume is at max in order for them to kick hard, but hey i still shut people down with em...im at 3 now

had one car drive off cuz my subs blew his away lol (we were in a parking lot)

This HAS to be a joke. There is absolutely no way the stock POS head unit could power those subs at all. The guy probably drove away because he was laughing so hard he had to go barf.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Stock sound systems in cars are crap. Period. Aftermarket makes such a huge difference I don't know why you WOULDN'T upgrade.

F that s***. I kick it lo fi. Stock all the way around. As for redpr5's post: please don't ever admit that again. In no way is it possible to "shut people down" with speakers. wtf does that mean anyway. I'm sure they are driving off because they were just as annoyed with your sounds as I would be. Please keep the noise to yourself

i dont know about you guys but my sock H/U wont even play a cd without skipping. Mazda did a great job tunning the suspension for are cars, we have moderate power, and the car is extremley versitile. The stock stereo components how ever were over looked, not to say they are the worst out there but they leave a lot to be desired.

(P.S. i test drove the new MS6 and the stereo was very clear and loud as hell even the bass was descent.)

importcrazy said:
i dont know about you guys but my sock H/U wont even play a cd without skipping. Mazda did a great job tunning the suspension for are cars, we have moderate power, and the car is extremley versitile. The stock stereo components how ever were over looked, not to say they are the worst out there but they leave a lot to be desired.

(P.S. i test drove the new MS6 and the stereo was very clear and loud as hell even the bass was descent.)

not like I had a lot of cars but this car has the best sound system i had "stock" ..i only had GM cars before tho, 95 sunfire, 99 z24, 95 s-10.
i like the sound in my 2003 es, maybe because there's 6 speakers.

Back