New Dilemma - Please Help

dave45090

Contributor
:
Mazda Protege 5
Well here goes.....looking for suggestions.

I have a 2003 P5 w/ 39,000 miles. I am the second owner. The first/original owner purchased the 100,000 mile extended warranty when he purcased the car new. A few weeks ago I heard a rattling noise. I can only hear it when I am surronded by obstacles like road barriers or in a tunnel and I have my windows down. The echo makes the rattle loud and clear. If the windows are up and nothing around I can't the rattling at all. I have a feeling it may be the infamous VTCS or VICS screw problem. But I have no way of knowing. Does this sound familiar? Note: It seems to be worse right after I shift into gear and at low RPM's.

Let me share my current mods.....
SRI intake
Kartboy short shifter and bushings
Springs
Various interior and exterior cosmetic changes

Now to my question. I wan't to take my car to the dealer to have problem looked at and fixed under warranty. It seems obvious I would put the stock intake back in to avoid the "you modded your car that's what the problem is" conversation. Should I go ahead and put the stock shifter back in as well? Seems like alot of trouble but I am willing to do this b/c my rattling may be something major. I wan't to take care of ASAP as my Thunder header will be here in a couple of weeks along w/ a MAM midpipe and RB catback. Once the header and exhaust go on thats it. I am in the modiing pool neck deep and am willing to accept the fact that the warranty will really be voided.

Any advice or suggestions will be appreciated.
Dave.

if it is a third party warranty some regular automechanic shops might honor it. i had a warranty like that and you could have "bob" the local mechanic do the work (they won't care what mods you did to your car) and get reembursed for the work.

but isn't that screw prob a recall so it doesn't matter if its warrantied or not correct me if i am wrong

I guess factory recall is good. I don't remember reading that it's a recall though. Off to search.......

FYI the VTCS screw recall only applies to P5's manufactured after May or June of 03.

just so you know, when you have a screw in your cylinder you WILL know. it will bang around in there very loudly. you will hear it at idle, cruising, inside the car, outside the car, next to a wall, or even in a giant parking lot. if you really want you can take your sparkplugs out and fish around in there with a magnet wand and see if you pull anything out.

http://www.msprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123628205&highlight=recall

Last edited:
OK after your post and digging a little more this is not the problem. Like I said it is not audible inside the car. Oh well.......do you think I should go back to stock b/f I take to dealership. It's not like I have done that much anyway. My real question is will the dealership bust my balls over a short shifter?

if you're going to a dealer definately put the stock airbox back on. it really depends on the dealer if they're gonna bust your balls about mods or not. just go ahead and do as much as you can to avoid any confrontations about it. if you wanna be lazy about the shifter you could find a way to just extend the lever. that would prolly be more work that just putting the stock one back in tho.

depends on the stealership. However, technically they can only "void your warranty" if you have a mod that DIRECTLY caused the problem. They're gonna try to screw you, but if you know the rules of the game, you are at least on a level playing field, if you know what I'm saying.

Yeah....I think I know what youre laying down. My experience w/ dealerships tells me to put the stock air box and shifter back on and enjoy the ability to take my car to a dealership for free while I can. I just wanted someone to come one here and say "no dude don't do that.....they won't say anything" or "dude just lift your hood and wink twice....that'll fix the rattle". It's a forum not a genie in a lamp. I was just doing a little hopeful wishing.

well try and find the rattle yourself. pop the hood with the car on and push the throttle plate thing. see if it rattles

gimpo2 said:
FYI the VTCS screw recall only applies to P5's manufactured after May or June of 03. [/url]
The screws come out of the VICS which are the ones back away from the head but it really doesn't matter because they replace the whole intake & fuel rail if having the recall performed so you get both. The Mazda site will tell you if you are in the recall based upon the VIN #.

gimpo2 said:
well try and find the rattle yourself. pop the hood with the car on and push the throttle plate thing. see if it rattles

tried this first.....no luck.

Back