Intakes- K&N vs Injen

I dunno. $50 for the ebay intake and buy a good filter, vs hundreds for a name and a sticker. I would pass up on that for the 5 minutes to swap out the intake.

Still waiting for coupler info.

I have an AEM and I haven't had any problems with it. (shrug)

Last edited by a moderator:
Cleaned this mess up...keep it on topic.

Rac3rX do me a favor... until you purchase a Protege 5, stop lurking in this section.

OK, to all of the ebay fanatics... Why didn't you guys buy a Kia Spectra 5 instead of a Mazda Protege' 5? I'm guessing you decided quality was worth paying a little bit more for? Ebay, to me anyhow, just reeks of KMart and JC Whitney...

It's a just ******* metal pipe. I don't see why paying 1.5 times as much makes someone part of some elistist club. :rolleyes:

I like my "ugly" accordian tube, thank you
enginebay_new4s.jpg
hksintake1.jpg

Would it be possible to see pics of the K&N and the Injen? I've seen the injen but can't seem to find pics of the Typhoon.

The Injen, again...
SuperProtege5 said:
Would it be possible to see pics of the K&N and the Injen? I've seen the injen but can't seem to find pics of the Typhoon.

Attachments

• IMG_0268-2.jpg
    IMG_0268-2.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 147
I have an ebay intake and posted here, so I assume you are directing your comments towards me.

1) In 2002, there was no Spectra5. Cannot buy what is not made....
2) In reviewing costs per proven results, I found the ebay intakes to be of similiar quality. Althought the filter is trash (like the Injen is reported to be. Search threads, it is actually mentioned, not "just seen at the track"), a K&N filter with the ebay intake has worked prfectly fine for me. mine in fact, came withthe K&N filter. I have had no issues of quality, decomoposing couplers (no mention in history of this forum), causing CELs, car bursting into flames, or the tubing disintegrating into tiny particles.
3) Still waiting for dyno-sheet proven test results that state I need to spend hundreds of dollars for something I got for about $60.
4) no carb sticker (and you do not want to spend 5 minutes swapping out for smog testing) on the intake would be the only reason I can see spending $ on a piece of metal tubing that yields minimal horsepower gains.

oh, and both JC Whitney and Wal Mart sell K&N.

Raider... I wasn't directing anything towards you. For the year or so I've been here, I've had nothing but respect for you, so please don't take my comments personally.

I was brought up to believe "you get what you pay for", and in my 46 years I've found it to pretty much be true. And let's face it, we've all seen this thread too many times!
RaiderMP5 said:
I have an ebay intake and posted here, so I assume you are directing your comments towards me.

oh, and both JC Whitney and Wal Mart sell K&N.

point taken. there have been a lot of pointed comments towards owners of ebay intakes in this thread, and I have been the main one responding to the comments made (without proof).

And with all the threads here, it has been pretty much determined, the ebay intakes are pretty good for the money (as long as the filter is upgraded).

Mmmmmken, you are ok in my book too. :)

Its a metal pipe people...how can one be that much better than the other? I have an Injen on my MSP & had one on my 00 Eclipse GT. They are good intakes but to be so one sided about your thoughts on intakes is just ignorant. I will be purchasing an Ebay intake for my P5 becuase from what I have read why in the hell should you spend $200 + for a metal pipe that you can get for $20 + $30-40 (new K&N filter) on ebay....hmmmm makes sense to me....

Back