Caring for your products? + pics

khaosman

Contributor
:
2006 Honda S2000
Hello! So I got my goodies from ExcelDetail... the waffle weave towel worked great, as well as the mitt. That thing holds so much water, it is awesome.

What do you all recommend for caring for them? Meaning, do you wash them after every use? I know you aren't supposed to use fabric softener.

Anyways, the car is clean and here are some pictures: http://www.khaosman.com/gallery/wash
Unfortunately it wasn't very sunny out so I couldn't get any to show the condition of the paint very well. It has all sorts of nicks, scratches, and dents (you can see the lovely new one though!). It makes me sad :( Eventually I'd like to polish it but I'm sure it can't fix all of them.

Comments welcome and appreciated! Like I said, the pictures aren't the greatest at showing the paint--I'll try to get some new ones tomorrow.

-Patrick

Care instructions on tags... I swear this isn't my first time doing laundry. Really! ;)

Hey Patrick - nice towel, huh? :D

basically what i do is wash them in warm to hot water with regular detergent, no fabric softener, and then put them in the dryer on medium until they're almost dry, again no fabric softener/dryer sheets. pretty straight forward. i do this with my ww towels, mf towels, wash mitts, pc pads, cotton and/or mf applicator pads, even my foam applicator pads. the only items that don't go in the dryer are the pc pads and foam applicator pads.

hope this helps!! :)

Wash all microfiber products without any fabric softener. Warm/hot water is ok. Machine washing and drying is fine, but don't allow the MF products to get completely dry in the dryer. Take them out when they are just damp and let them air dry. Otherwise they will get very static-filled.

Washing applicators and foam pads in the washing machine isn't effective for me. The pads hold too much air, so they just tumble around on the surface, and none of the wash water is able to penetrate the pads.

I just rinse out my mitts well after each use, and let them air dry. Every dozen car washes or so, I'll wash them by hand in a bucket with warm water and Woolite.

Mr Detailer said:
Otherwise they will get very static-filled.

This is the understatement of the year. Those things fresh out of the dryer can affect the orbit of the moon with all the static cling they have!

Mr Detailer said:
Wash all microfiber products without any fabric softener. Warm/hot water is ok. Machine washing and drying is fine, but don't allow the MF products to get completely dry in the dryer. Take them out when they are just damp and let them air dry. Otherwise they will get very static-filled.

Washing applicators and foam pads in the washing machine isn't effective for me. The pads hold too much air, so they just tumble around on the surface, and none of the wash water is able to penetrate the pads.

I just rinse out my mitts well after each use, and let them air dry. Every dozen car washes or so, I'll wash them by hand in a bucket with warm water and Woolite.
I know you wash the pads by hand, but I thought I'd see how things went in the washing machine - and they came out good as new. :) Sat them on top of a towel to help pull out the moisture; no way they were going in the dryer!

Tasty said:
This is the understatement of the year. Those things fresh out of the dryer can affect the orbit of the moon with all the static cling they have!

haha, I agree. I ran my really dirty ones through last night and dried them... the static cling was ridiculous!

Shhhhh......
Dont tell anyone, but i add a splash of bleach when I wash my mfs.............I think they rinse better.........

MyZmZm said:
I know you wash the pads by hand, but I thought I'd see how things went in the washing machine - and they came out good as new. :) Sat them on top of a towel to help pull out the moisture; no way they were going in the dryer!

Are you sure it wasn't just the outside of the pad that was clean, and residue was still remaining inside the pad, out of sight until you start using the pad and bringing centrifugal force to the equation?
It seems hard to believe that the washing machine could clean the inside of the pad when all of the air in there prevents the washing solution from entering the pad. I suppose if you pressed the majority of the air out of the pad when putting it in the washer, it might work. But I prefer to just wash them by hand.

Mr Detailer said:
Are you sure it wasn't just the outside of the pad that was clean, and residue was still remaining inside the pad, out of sight until you start using the pad and bringing centrifugal force to the equation?
It seems hard to believe that the washing machine could clean the inside of the pad when all of the air in there prevents the washing solution from entering the pad. I suppose if you pressed the majority of the air out of the pad when putting it in the washer, it might work. But I prefer to just wash them by hand.
You do have a point... I'll have to check :)

Holy cow, it has been 1.5 months since I washed my car. That has got to be a record! :(

Back