What Do You Guys Think??

Moonman8

:
2003 MP5-T
My boss owns a white 2002 P5 and it's pretty much stock because his wife drives it most of the time (our dealership supplies him with a car for daily use). When I got to cleaning the engine compartment, I popped the hood and found this:

http://www.canadiantire.ca/assortments/product_detail.jsp?FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=1408474396670064&PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524443252680&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=1408474396670271&bmUID=1149916206523&assortment=primary&fromSearch=true

He had this stuck on the end of his stock intake pipe (on the end of the MAF) with the snorkel still in place. He had the snorkel positioned so that the end of it led straight into the opening in the end of the Ractive filter. There isn't any vacuum with this setup but cooler air was being fed into the filter somewhat.

I wouldn't use the snorkel with this but I am curious as to how well the "heat shield" performs. Do you guys think it would eliminate a lot of heated air from entering the filter or is it bulls***? I'm kind of leaning toward bulls*** but I thought I'd ask. I've seen a few people on here with Ractive headers and such so I don't doubt the brand but I also think that the Ractive filter isn't the same quality as K&N. Also, it kind of looks like the "heat shield", while it might reduce heat, would probably limit the amount of air entering the intake.

I currently have an AEM SRI with a K&N filter and I plan on heat-wrapping the intake piping (that thing gets pretty damn hot!) but I've been curious about this ever since I saw it on my boss's P5. Tell me what you think.

If you're looking to squeeze every .5 hp out of the motor, it might be worth it.

I doubt if it does anything huge though...

do you think flow would be hindered at all by the heat shield? also filter element quality versus my current K&N cone filter?

I'm not sure experimenting with this is worth the $40 + shipping though.

You might be able to find one cheaper on ebay. I used to have one a long time ago. I don't think its any noticeble difference though.

I call BS on that piece of crap. Like that thing isn't going to get to the same operating temp as the filter inside of it in the engine compartment. Come on. Save the $40.

Back