Check engine light

080669 said:
Another thing to look at is the gasoline in your area. Around me, it's all 10% ethanol, which will cause lower mpg. Probably at least some of the people with the higher numbers are filling with pure gas instead of "gas-lite".

Yeah it's all 10% ethanol here too.. I doubt 10% affects the mileage too much though, since 85% ethanol yields like what.. a 20% decrease in gas mileage?

va_cache said:
Zoombee, what code did they say you had?

Code P0455 - Evaporative Emission Control System Leak Detected (gross leak)

The tech said the new gas cap "feels better" than the original. I pick it up today. Time will tell. At least they gave me a nice Mazda3 for a loaner these past three days!

Zoombee said:

Same as mine.

But they had a Power Control Module software update for mine. I wonder why they didn't update yours?

Zoombee said:

The tech said the new gas cap "feels better" than the original. I pick it up today. Time will tell. At least they gave me a nice Mazda3 for a loaner these past three days!

I am interested to hear how it goes with the new gas cap since that is what I am supposed to get for the same code/issue. Still waiting for it though...

on2wheels said:
I am interested to hear how it goes with the new gas cap since that is what I am supposed to get for the same code/issue. Still waiting for it though...

Heh, as far as I know, I didn't get anything for mine, except an explanation I had to tighten the gas cap.

Oh well, at least it hasn't happened again, and I did take the opportunity to have the autolock turned on.

I hope I'm not jinxing anything but the new gas cap the dealer installed after my third CEL code P00455, seems to be working so far - 6 days now and counting! They said there seems to be an issue with some caps, and Mazda is aware of it. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that my CEL's are history.

yes, mazda is aware that there have been issues with some of the gas caps... they are currently working on a "better" gas cap to fix this problem... I've been working on half a dozen of this s*** in the past month already

as for the flash update, its to fix the leak detection pump issue... its to make it operate the way it should compared to before

Wife just called, said the check engine light just came on again. First time to the dealer and they stated the gas cap was loose. BS! Now we have to drop the 7 off at the dealer tomorrow nite so they can check the 7 again for this issue.

WTF? It has like 2300 miles and already been to the dealer twice for a check engine light and oil change, this next trip will be number 3. Hope someone at Mazda get's this issue resolved, and fast. (pissed)

I found this board after purchasing my GT Copper-red CX7. Figured it was just a matter of time before my CEL popped on, and it did at 1,680 mi. After 1.75 hours at the dealer the light is still on and a new gas cap on order. I sure hope Mazda figures this problem out before we all become jaded and just drive with the CEL on.

Update to our issue. Dealer stated faulty gas cap. Ordered a new "improved" one and reset the PCM and no CEL's so far. Crossing my fingers this is the perminent fix....

Second CEL Today

Good forum and so far lots of good information. I've been following this thread with interest as I too have the loose gas cap blues on my CX-7. First one was at 145 miles, checked the cap and it came off with less than an 8th of a turn. Dealer confirmed the code and life was good. Today at 700 miles I got the CEL again, and again when I checked the gas cap was extremely loose. I also crank the cap at least three clicks when I fill up so I'm guessing I have the faulty gas cap. I'll run it by the dealer on Friday and see if I can get this resolved.
Ironically my wife has had her CX-7 since early July with no problems at all! Maybe I'll just swap caps!:D

G-Mojo ~ Welcome to the forum. Stick around and share your experiences with us. You may be the first registered two - CX family here. Don't let your wife online, though. Somebody here will tell on you about the gas cap.

CEL at 1400 miles on a Black Cherry GT, loose gas cap, Bull Crap. From personal experience I know the mid 90's Miata was also troubled by the "Loose Gas Cap CEL", I cant believe ten years later they haven't solved the problem. Perhaps Mazda just wants sample data from the engine. I know they pissed my wife off, she says if we had bought the used Toyota Certified RX330 we wouldn't be dropping it off at the dealer. MartyD

Joining the Group of CEL

I've had my CX-7 for 2 weeks & 5 days @ 888 miles I got the infomous CEL. Called the dealer and he said it was ok to keep driving as long as the CEL wasn't flashing. I have an appointment next Friday.
Smells like a recall coming.
I don't think it's if you will get the CEL - it's a matter of when. 1st year bugs.

Update: 9/18
The CEL went out the day before the 1st service appointment. The appoint was cancelled.
1 week later the CEL came on again.
I had the service appointment this morning - The gas cap was loose at some time. When I fill up with gas I twist it at least 3-4 clicks and I have taken the cap off & on to make sure it is secure 4 times this past wee.
The dealer took the cap off, cleaned the seal, put it back on, cleared the code & checked the pressure.

This should hold for 2 - 3 days. UGH

Last edited:
mazda believer

varek said:
(stfu) I only have about 27 miles on mine and the check engine also got activated. I'm taking my Cx7 back to the dealer tommorow for a check.
I too had this leak detectetion pump problem second tank of gas at 1/2 tank took to dealer twice before they took me seriously and actually looked for something it has been 2 tanks since then just over 1000 miles no more problems yet.

800 miles CEL on same codes, tightened my gas cap and hoped it would go off, it hasn't. Will be traveling to dealer 2-morrow.

Olandy said:
800 miles CEL on same codes, tightened my gas cap and hoped it would go off, it hasn't. Will be traveling to dealer 2-morrow.
I was told when my light came on in my 8 today...it was my gas cap...I totally did not fasten it today.......that it does not reset itself after you have corrected the problem...like tightening the gas cap. maybe same thing for the CX 7.

CEL light on today at 2927 miles.
Called dealer - same response -
He said with the car off - take off the gas cap - put it back on
drive it for 4-5 days - if the CEL is still on call us for appt.
I wanted to make one then - he said that it wasn't necessary and that this will probably take care of the problem
Bill

i had one go off as well! think because i pulled that damn snorkel tube off of the airbox. Well i unhooked the battery to clear it...it took the cel light off but, popped the TC light on and was flashing. had to turn the wheel to the left and right and that cleared. Next the damn auto up/down for the windows wasnt working. I read the owners man and found out i had to redo the windows for the auto feature to work correctly again. crazy ass computers.

Got a cx-7 with 1300 miles and the light just came on. Have an appointment for next Sat. to drop it off. At least now I've got an idea of what's going on. Will get back w/ results.

Back