Running without a catback....

HotPr5

I was wondering what are the cons of running an OBX header with a MAM catted midpipe with no catback. I already know I'll probably go deaf so I'll just turn the music up louder.

1) Will exhaust gases be harmful to the car if they come out where the midpipe ends?

2) Any thermal damage to the underbody?

2) Performance losses?

Thanks.

shane02pro5 said:
Big performance losses unless you have a turbo. N/A needs backpressure.

GODDAMNIT!!!!!!!

NA cars do not need an exhaust restriction. NA cars need properly sized exhaust to maintain a good scavenging effect. Having "backpressure" is caused by having a poorly designed exhaust system. A good system can maintain good scavenging and flow without any backpressure.

On topic, asside from it being REALLY ******* LOUD, I don't see a problem with it. You will probably loose/gain some performance, but I doubt it'd be noticeable either way. But trust me, it'll be REALLY loud. I fired my car up like this in my garage and it was unbearable at idle.

I mean, really loud. Also, it sounds like total rice ass.

i ran my del sol straight off the header for about an hour one day and i couldnt bear it, the floor of the car was shaking and i was pissing off everyone around me while driving. it sounded as loud as a harley, but not as deep

however i used to run my del sol(sohc 1.6 vtec) with a dc sports header and no muffler, it unbolted near the back passenger tire and it wasnt much louder than a full catback system was

i ran it this way for years and never saw any ill effects even with the top off the car

i would continually beat other del sols with full cat back exhaust systems so i never saw the need to waste $200-300 on one

i have never really looked at our exhaust system, but if you can unbolt the muffler at the back i would suggest doing that first and see how you like it

Jesus in your avatar and you lead off a response like that. Ease up man, I stand corrected maybe. I don't have much n/a experience but I have seen several civics with stock exhaust closer than I expected in my rear view.

cheapmiata1600 said:
GODDAMNIT!!!!!!!

NA cars do not need an exhaust restriction. NA cars need properly sized exhaust to maintain a good scavenging effect. Having "backpressure" is caused by having a poorly designed exhaust system. A good system can maintain good scavenging and flow without any backpressure.

On topic, asside from it being REALLY ******* LOUD, I don't see a problem with it. You will probably loose/gain some performance, but I doubt it'd be noticeable either way. But trust me, it'll be REALLY loud. I fired my car up like this in my garage and it was unbearable at idle.

I mean, really loud. Also, it sounds like total rice ass.

Well backpressure helps with torque. I ran with no catback once when my exhaust fell and it will was annoying. It really did lose power. Uphill instead of gaining speed it was actually dropping. Its not worth it even to try. If you like noise then do it.

NOw there was someone who ran no muffler - just straight pipe and he 'thought it was not too loud'. Rather subjective, eh?

I had the muffler come off my Acura once, sounded like a NASCAR. Not something I would ever do by choice. It had a cat, resonator and s-pipe all the way back to the rear wheel. It was unbelievably loud. Headache within minutes.

Back