Yakima finally worked out the roof rack

Skiph:

I did read the thread, but I wondered if any of the people who did this have gone back and checked their roof after removing the landing pads. It seems like most people pull off the control towers and keep the landing pads on, so I didn't know if anyone has removed them completely and checked the mounting points. I'm probably going to go this route, a friend of mine is willing to sell me his Control Tower set up pretty cheap, but I just wanted to confirm that what Yakima is telling me isn't happening "in the field," so to speak.

Alternatives

I know the concept of wanting to re-use Yakima (or Thule) components from previous applications but thought I'd suggest another rack solution, similar to the Control Tower.

It's a rack system by ROLA. ROLA originated in Australia and, now, is owned by a company called Cequent, headquartered in Michigan. I had a set of ROLAs that I applied to a 1989 Mercury Tracer (yeah, I know, a Mercury... but it was sold in Asia/Australia as a Ford Laser/Meteor, parts--- grille,badges,wheels,etc.--- which I also applied to it). Sort of a mini-Merkur look, as it turned out... The racks were, even back then, very sharp, aero, and (overall) totally san-o. ROLA subsequently left the market here (despite being the official accessory rack for Range Rover) and I ended up selling off my setup along with my car in the 90s.

Long story, but,... here's the Mazda5 setup, which I think might make for an attractive alternative setup for alot of people here, if you're not "married" to a Yak or Thule set of components. Personally, I can speak to the robustness of ROLA components, as well as the overall "goodness" of the look.

http://rolausa.com/shop/details.asp?ProdID=59834

Foolish, did you ever hear anything else from Yakima? While their fit list still doesn't list the LP 11 as compatible, I found this document which does list the LP 11 as compatible with the 06-10 Mazda5.
http://yakima.custhelp.com/ci/fattach/get/41677/

It doesn't mention the 2012 model which is what I have. However, I do find it interesting to see the fit notes. Fit note 48 says you should use the M6x50 hardware, which is different than the recommendation to use M6x35 I see in this thread.

I called Yakima, and the girl I talked to was very helpful, but non-explicit in saying that there was a fundamental incompatibility with the landing pad 11 and Mazda5. She told me I should get a Thule since they say it will fit. If Yakima is telling me to buy a Thule instead of their product, they must really believe it's not compatible. Surely if all it needed was a different length bolt they would have resolved it by now. My guess is that there's too much space in the base of the landing pad. Seems like they could have resolved that with a more solid rubber base, but I haven't seen one in person yet to know if that's the case.

I'm just curious if anyone else has gotten more information since this thread was last active. I would love to get round bars on my 5 since I have a lot of Yakima gear that uses it, but if the Yakima rep is even telling me to buy a Thule, then they really believe it's not right and can't put their company behind it. Most of my stuff I can get a separate set of snaparounds for the square bars, but I will have to replace my Steelhead bike racks with something square bar compatible. Maybe some Vipers.

Foolish, did you ever hear anything else from Yakima?
Nope, never heard from them again. Then again, I never checked back.

She told me I should get a Thule since they say it will fit. If Yakima is telling me to buy a Thule instead of their product, they must really believe it's not compatible.
Seems likely. On the other hand, the folks on here have all been happy with their fit, so I guess it would work. As for me, I've not been riding as much lately, and a friend offered me a free hitch for my 5, so since I already have two hitch racks, I'm going that route for now.

Update from those using Yakima Control Towers / Landing Pad 11s?

We just bought a used '10 5 Sport over the weekend. I have already ordered the Yakima Q-clips to transfer my old rack to the new car, but after reading the posts I'm thinking of selling my Qs and buying the Controls. How are yours holding up?!?!

I've had my landing pad/control towers on since July of 2010, have never removed the landing pads. I install and remove the cross-bars quite often, just put the pad cover clips on when the cross-bars are not on the car. I have the towers clamped to the cross bars in their permanent positions, and marked as to where they go on the car, takes about 5 minutes to put then on, and about 2 mintues to remove them.

I usually carry 2 road bikes when I use the cross-bars, and have never had any problems, other than when the winds along the Oregon coast kick up in the winter (40-60 mph), I can feel the car get buffeted some, so I usually take them off this time of the year, not a lot of need for them until the weather gets better.

Edit: 'bikeracerc', as for the Q-towers, if you haven't been reading this thread, you might be interested in this post in another roof rack thread on this forum:

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/show...k-For-The-Mazda5-Thread&p=5876490#post5876490

Last edited:
Here is an updated link for the ROLA kit mentioned above, it is interesting to look at, and looks swift, but I wouldnt go out and replace all my yakima gear to switch over.

I used the Q towers on my 5 once, and hate how they interfere with the rear doors. So I just got 4 control towers, and a fairing from a guy on fleabay for $61! yAY!

Last edited:
So finally got my flea-bay package after three weeks. They refunded me $25 for the trouble. So I got the towers, a fairing and landing pads for $50, all brand new. The landing pads were #6, and REI was cool enough to let me swap them for the right ones (#11.)
But get this: in the lp11 install manual, Yakima lists the Mazda 5! WTH?
They say to use the 30mm bolts. Will report back once I install them.

Thread from the dead...and first post!

Hi all,
Thanks to all who posted pics and provided info on a rack setup for the 5. After reading this and other threads, I went with the Yakima Control towers, Landing Pad #11, and 48" cross bars. I already had the 48" cross bars and wasn't in the mood to go get longer ones. I'm happy with the fit, as much longer than 48" would have me hitting my head when I got in and out of the car. Attached is a pic for reference of the 48" length.

As for which bolts to use, I used the shortest ones in the box and tightened till I felt the tower was secure enough. Didn't notice any bending of the sheet metal.

No gear on the roof yet, but I'll post up when I start using these things.

IMG_0765.JPG

Sorry for bringing this back from the dead, again. Can anyone give updates on using the landing pad 11's on our cars? also what else do I need to use yakiamas round 48" bars and fairing.

I need the pads, bars, fairing and do you need something else to mount the bars to the pads?

thanks!

Back