Crossbar Length:View attachment mazda52.bmp
58" CrossBars
Fairing:
44" Fairing

Front Clips/Landing Pads:
Q131-E
Rear Clips/Landing Pads:
Q12-A

Your clips may not come with the correct measurements so Im going to go ahead and give them to you now:

Attachments

• mazda5.bmp
    10.5 KB · Views: 2,809
  • mazda53.bmp
    549.4 KB · Views: 1,887
  • mazda55.bmp
    549.4 KB · Views: 1,575
Mike

From the pic provide it looks like the sliding door seal is pinched under the rack. Will this cause leakage because the sliding door doesn't have its own moulding/seal.

Secondly how does it look closed? Does the door push out at all?

Just curious

Zoom5Zoom said:
Mike

From the pic provide it looks like the sliding door seal is pinched under the rack. Will this cause leakage because the sliding door doesn't have its own moulding/seal.

Secondly how does it look closed? Does the door push out at all?

Just curious

I thought about that too and the door seal is below this. See attached.

It should be fine. I would assume and hopefully not assume wrong that a reputable company like Yakima would do adequate testing.

Attachments

• mazda55.bmp
    184.2 KB · Views: 1,311
Well ur old enough dont ASS_U_ME anything. I dont like the idea of crimping the molding I bet it reduces wind noise I dont know.

JMO even if they are professionals.... professional approach would be use the anchors on the roof as they where ment to be

Well - seeing that I have most of the Yakima system - it won't cost me much to give it a shot - I'll let you know how it all works out.

I haven't purchased the rack system yet, I've just been pestering the customer service center at Yakima for quite a while. As soon as my contact got the info, he sent it to me. Anchoring the system in the door is the way many of the roof racks work to avoid removing the headliner and drilling through the roof.

Has anyone installed?

Has anyone purchased and installed the Yakima rack/clips as described above? How did it work out?

bpp said:
Has anyone purchased and installed the Yakima rack/clips as described above? How did it work out?

I have.

I haven't done the fine tuning but so far so good. (I ran out of daylight) But from the looks of things it will be a good snug secure fit.

The rear clips need to be fine tuned so that they don't interfere with the sliding door mechanism.

I will post some of my own pics once I've got it all fine tuned.

mazdaFIVEmike said:
True - it has a cleaner look but you are limited to the space between the towers. With the Yakima system you can have longer bars and have more flexibility with what you can put on the roof.

Are there any Euro roof rails available for North American Mazda5's then?

MP5Alive said:
Are there any Euro roof rails available for North American Mazda5's then?

Not that we know of.

The N/A attachment points for the Mazda roof rack are not the same as the Euro roof rails.

I don't know why... I just know they don't match up.

Could anyone tell me what is the spacing between the bars on the Mazda 5 factory rack? It doesn't look like it can be moved back and forth once installed in the anchor point? I have a hamburger type cargo box and wonder if there's too much space between the bars.

Thanks.

Matt

I recently purchased the Yakima racks for my 2007 Mazda 5 and they are terrible. I have 2 problems with them. The first problem is that the sliding doors hit the qclips. I've been trying every adjustment I can think of and there's no way around it?!? Also, the front bar is a few inches lower than the back with makes it look ridiculous! The reason they are lower is because Qtowers on the front are spread apart more than the ones on the back.

I recently purchased the Yakima racks for my 2007 Mazda 5 and they are terrible. I have 2 problems with them. The first problem is that the sliding doors hit the qclips. I've been trying every adjustment I can think of and there's no way around it?!? Also, the front bar is a few inches lower than the back with makes it look ridiculous! The reason they are lower is because Qtowers on the front are spread apart more than the ones on the back.

Sounds like you need to adjust the space between the rear towers. I had a similar problem but once I got the spacing perfect - the doors close within a hair of the clips. It's a frustrating adjustment because things shift slightly on the towers when you go to tighten it down, but keep at it because it does work.

As for the height difference - I agree - it doesn't look the greatest but bottom line is that I can carry Yakima's largest box and a kayak. I'm likely over the weight limit but so far no problems.

Attachments

• LoadedUp001.jpg
    LoadedUp001.jpg
    237.2 KB · Views: 1,126
Last edited:
So, is the biggest reson for going with the universal bars the spacing available? Or is it the price vs. the Mazda bars? The Mazda bars seem like they would hold better and reduce risk of damage to the vehicle.

But, I can see that a Kayak may not get enough support with the narrower spacing.

So, is the biggest reson for going with the universal bars the spacing available? Or is it the price vs. the Mazda bars? The Mazda bars seem like they would hold better and reduce risk of damage to the vehicle.

But, I can see that a Kayak may not get enough support with the narrower spacing.

For me it was the fact that I already had all the Yakima components and only needed the adapter clips. The bonus is that I can have longer bars which accommodate a kayak/bike and the cargo box.

I wouldn't be able to put my cargo box plus one other item on the Mazda rack.

Here's a front view photo to show the space.

Attachments

• LoadedUp002.jpg
    LoadedUp002.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 715
Back