What have you done to your MSP today?

Drive the Speed6 first, you may be surprised at how slow they feel stock. They have plenty of potential but with 260hp through the AWD drivetrain they aren't as quick as the MSP, not to mention they are about 35-3600lbs vs 2800 in the MSP. Plus there is the timing chain and VVT actuator which is likely the reason the guy is selling in the first place (the early CX7s and speed 6s had more failures than the later models), and they have rear diff mount issues that are actually easy to fix but most non-enthusiasts don't do them. I like them because they are Mazdaspeeds and almost as rare as the proteges these days, but I have driven plenty of them and unless it is modded over at least ~300whp they are underwhelming cars. They are built in Japan so they are FAR better than the sh*tbox USDM Mazda 6s but they still have some of the common issues the 6s had, mainly with the interior.

Tuned MSP with a forged motor and larger turbo>stock or mildly modded speed6.

Thanks for the reply, I'm glad to get insight from someone who's actually driven an ms6. He doesn't want to sell it, he has to. Hus dad in Korea needs emergency surgery that is going to cost 20k. It comes with an access port v3, AEM cai, turbosmart dual port bov, and a short shifter. Regardless I will be test driving it prior to purchase. He has an offer from someone else $500 higher than mine. He's meeting up with him this weekend. If it doesn't sell then essentially he will accept my offer. I could match the offer I'm just not that desperate or in a hurry to get rid of the msp.

Fired up big bird for the first time in months... Started right up after a jump from a spare battery. Its pretty damn tempting not to take it for a spin around the block with no tag or insurance.

Working on the cork sport 80 millimeter exhaust on 2507
a33e8e8a1fb7a69d3e960859e15d95a6.jpg
All cleaned up and polished
e5a1671f9bb51651de5292ad26b2baf1.jpg

Thanks for the reply, I'm glad to get insight from someone who's actually driven an ms6. He doesn't want to sell it, he has to. Hus dad in Korea needs emergency surgery that is going to cost 20k. It comes with an access port v3, AEM cai, turbosmart dual port bov, and a short shifter. Regardless I will be test driving it prior to purchase. He has an offer from someone else $500 higher than mine. He's meeting up with him this weekend. If it doesn't sell then essentially he will accept my offer. I could match the offer I'm just not that desperate or in a hurry to get rid of the msp.

I definitely understand wanting a newer car, if someone wanted to trade me a speed6 or speed3 I would be very tempted. Beware of cars with APs and no fuel pump internals, every speed that had a blown motor when I worked at mazda had an acessport.

I definitely understand wanting a newer car, if someone wanted to trade me a speed6 or speed3 I would be very tempted. Beware of cars with APs and no fuel pump internals, every speed that had a blown motor when I worked at mazda had an acessport.

Once more another thing I wasn't aware of. Thanks Horns

Its starting to sound like this "upgrade" might be a bad idea.

Gabi, do research before you mod and you will be ok. Its just like the MSP. Both have bad reps due to dumbasses cranking up boost, doing crap without researching their own mods. I have yet to blow my motor in my MSP and I have ran 14-18lbs of boost on it on the stock tune & block for years!!! I don't advise that but knowing your car, its tune, and limitations and what side effects each mod has will make a HUGE difference. Any time you mod anything you take risk.

Gabi, do research before you mod and you will be ok. Its just like the MSP. Both have bad reps due to dumbasses cranking up boost, doing crap without researching their own mods. I have yet to blow my motor in my MSP and I have ran 14-18lbs of boost on it on the stock tune & block for years!!! I don't advise that but knowing your car, its tune, and limitations and what side effects each mod has will make a HUGE difference. Any time you mod anything you take risk.

Couldn't have said it best. Thanks

On another note for those of you curious to see what might become available check this out.
http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/show...ipe-3-sets-of-intercooler-piping-and-upgraded

Who has P5 headlights on their MSP? I found a wiring diagram in a how-to but it says to wire the high and low beams to the same power source and that is definitely incorrect. I don't want to run around with my high beams always on. Do I need to add a relay to trigger the high beam? I think the headlights in the protege are a negative ground or something funky like that. Would rather not have to buy the whole harness

Who has P5 headlights on their MSP? I found a wiring diagram in a how-to but it says to wire the high and low beams to the same power source and that is definitely incorrect. I don't want to run around with my high beams always on. Do I need to add a relay to trigger the high beam? I think the headlights in the protege are a negative ground or something funky like that. Would rather not have to buy the whole harness
Lol, something weird like a negative ground? It would be weird if it were a positive ground. You probably mean it switches to ground to complete the circuit, rather than switching to B+. I'd have to look at a wiring diagram, but I do not think the Protege headlight circuit is like that. However, adding a standard 5-pin relay would allow you to do that.

I think I might start looking into an FB... As a "real" project car... But I currently don't have a place to have a "project" car...

Lol, something weird like a negative ground? It would be weird if it were a positive ground. You probably mean it switches to ground to complete the circuit, rather than switching to B+. I'd have to look at a wiring diagram, but I do not think the Protege headlight circuit is like that. However, adding a standard 5-pin relay would allow you to do that.

I mean switched by ground, the diagrams were correct. I figured splitting the power to the high beams and low beams at the same time would either overload the circuit or only run 6v to each bulb and make them dim but they work great. Low beams stay on with highs.

So now 1574 has P5 headlights, wanted to change up the outside somehow and I had them sitting in the garage. Plan is to paint and retrofit them eventually. Also deleted the door chime and wired the windows to be always on. And bought new wipers and installed some tribute washer nozzles.

Last edited:
I would have run a y cable to the negatives to share the negative on the msp harness, then figure out which of the other two prongs are for high or low positive. that would solve the both bulbs being on.you could also install your own relays.

There's an 02 P5 locally on CL for $1,900 that looks to be in good condition with a couple of small, known issues per the owner. I'm incredibly tempted to buy the car. He's dead-set on the price though. I talked to him in hopes of possible getting him down to $1,500, but it isn't happening. I might still go and look at it this weekend, though. I'd love to have a P5 again. It wouldn't look bad in the driveway with the MSP and the 8 either.

If the body is in good shape, no rust, $400 isn't a big deal. Bodywork way more expensive than mechanical. I'm loving my p5. Msp was good but p5 is almost a clean slate to do better while retaining some civility.
Msp gonna become anything but civil now though lol

Both of them are missing the racing beat swaybar? Damn, that is strange. I guess they got tired of the clunk.

Back