What have you done to your MSP today?

I couldn't believe the Proteges I saw in Michigan and Illinois last summer, they all had visible rust damage on the outside of the car.

There's a silver Protege LX that needs a clutch on craigslist right now. I need a 3rd protege like a hole in the head but I do have a stock clutch and flywheel on my garage floor. Could repair it and sell it and buy a turbo mani or coilovers with the profit.

It started misfiring in cylinder 2 last night, luckily the coil packs, wires and spark plugs got here today. The misfire is gone, but the plug in the cylinder it was misfiring from had oil all over it. The new spark plugs, packs and wires improved performance a TON. Now if I floor it, it actually uses the boost instead of sitting at 4,000 RPM doing nothing. Something tells me this car wasn't maintained very well at all.

I couldn't believe the Proteges I saw in Michigan and Illinois last summer, they all had visible rust damage on the outside of the car.

There's a silver Protege LX that needs a clutch on craigslist right now. I need a 3rd protege like a hole in the head but I do have a stock clutch and flywheel on my garage floor. Could repair it and sell it and buy a turbo mani or coilovers with the profit.
Nice little flip

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Though I had no issues driving the new purchase home last night, it decided it didn't want to be driven today and began misfiring before I got too far out of my neighborhood. New coils, wires, plugs, and pcv are in route now and should find their way onto the car Saturday. I just need to make it seem mostly problem free before the wife gets back from Nebraska. Non running car purchases don't tend to go over well. Also noticed it had dropped some oil from the passenger side of the engine compartment. I didn't see anything visible from the top and I didn't get to look under it as I had to head to work. I just want to get it lined out where it is ok for a somewhat daily driver as the RX8 gets tiresome in the daily role.

Probably the crank seal or the oil pan, could even be from the turbo oil return running down the side of the MBSP. My car leaks from there

Turns out the engine has a terrible rod knock, it died when I pushed in the clutch to stop at a stopsign pulling into a gas station. When I tried starting it again, it just clicked once. I had to start it over and over quickly for the starter to actually turn the engine over, and when it did, it was loud. Had to get a tow back home, luckily my insurance covered it. Anyone know if the base model Protege engines are a straight swap into the MSP?

Turns out the engine has a terrible rod knock, it died when I pushed in the clutch to stop at a stopsign pulling into a gas station. When I tried starting it again, it just clicked once. I had to start it over and over quickly for the starter to actually turn the engine over, and when it did, it was loud. Had to get a tow back home, luckily my insurance covered it. Anyone know if the base model Protege engines are a straight swap into the MSP?
Yes I need 2.0 Protege engine you can swap in just swap over your Mazdaspeed accessories

Coils, plugs, wires, and PCV valve fixed my issue so I'm running good again and I got a new stereo installed. Well an old stereo that has been in the garage for many years, but it works so a great improvement. 1552 marches on.

People are annoying. I hate buying cars. I remember why I bought my last two cars from dealers. Because it's a straightforward ordeal. No phone tag, impromptu meetings, etc. to deal with. I've got four different cars I've picked out and going after then in the order that I want them. And some people are insane for prices they ask. And also throw in random inconvenient facts... .......

Sent from my LG-E980 using Tapatalk

Spent all day cleaning jams today. 1552 had been sitting, undriven since June as told by seller but it looks like longer, under a couple of trees. Every body gap was filled with leaves, twigs, acorns, and sap residue. Thick black nasty stuff. Decided to work on the interior along side so I started at the trunk. Used the shop vac to get all of the loose debris and then started scrubbing with wet towels to clean the bottom of the trunk and the gap below the window and at the fenders. Once I had that stuff done, I pulled all the contents out of the trunk. Found the cover of Zuku26's old Split Second. ;) Also found that I do not have a jack. :( Got the trunk all vacuumed and put back together and moved up to the door jams, vacuuming the interior and cleaning the plastics as I went. Once I had the interior, I started on the engine bay. I used the shop vac to clean all the cobwebs and cleaned out by the windshield and at the hinges. Scrubbed the inside of the fender tops and the strut towers. I developed a campaign slogan that I would repeat to myself as I got tired to help me push through. Make 1552 orange again. Cleaned the radiator support, top of the grill, and the firewall. Decided the front license plate bracket had to go and then found that it was the only thing holding the lower grill on. Ended up leaving the lower grill off and cleaned that opening thoroughly as well. Yuk. Jacked the car up and tried to find the source of the oil leak. Cleaned everything and then let it run for awhile but no joy. When I put the radio in the other day, I noticed the sub wasn't working. Found the fuse to be gone by the battery. Replaced that and I'm in business on that front. Still haven't figured out the fog lights. I can hear the relay under the dash and both fuses under the hood are good so my guess is both bulbs are bad. That will be another day. Final thing of the day was the installation of some DaveB rings. Way more fun to still be had.

Last edited:
People are annoying. I hate buying cars. I remember why I bought my last two cars from dealers. Because it's a straightforward ordeal. No phone tag, impromptu meetings, etc. to deal with. I've got four different cars I've picked out and going after then in the order that I want them. And some people are insane for prices they ask. And also throw in random inconvenient facts... .......

I've bought and sold quite a few vehicles from private owners. I know the feeling. I also like to keep myself almost 100% available when selling a vehicle because I know how difficult some private sellers can be. One thing I make sure I always do that I see almost no seller do is remove the listing after a deal has been made, my logic is that the vehicle is sold once you shake on it, doesn't matter whether a deposit is put down or not. I've had many sellers shake on a deal and then turn around and sell to someone else, sooo sleazy.

I got within $400 of asking price after driving 2 hours in awful traffic, but he wouldn't budge. He was needing the money to buy an E46 M3. He said he wouldn't take less than asking price, so I shook his hand and drove back to Knoxville. A day later, his ad is down, so I send a text inquiring. The M3 sold that night, so he decided to keep driving the car. Serves you right. Should've accepted my offer. It was $400 within your asking price. If $400 was going to make or break your $15,900 purchase, then you probably shouldn't own it. But whatever. He's came back to me, asking for one last offer. I gave it and now I'm waiting to hear back. I've got two others locally that I will likely settle for. A 2007 CX-7 Sport AWD and a 2009 Mazda 6 S Touring. Not sports cars by any means, but larger cars that can fit two kids easier. And Mazdas. Any input on the 6?

Okay, not that anyone was curious, but it's not a rod knock, I just assumed the worst. Took a second listen today and it's coming from the top of the engine and the knock isn't at a steady tempo.

My input on the 6 is it's pretty much the same car as the CX-7, but more it's comfortable, gets better mileage, more quiet, better looking, and it corners/performs better. The only thing the CX-7 has over the 6 is the fact that it's an SUV and those are what people want to buy these days.

Hopefully Mazda sells enough of CX-5s, 7s, and 9s to fund and build a new RX-Something. :)

I got within $400 of asking price after driving 2 hours in awful traffic, but he wouldn't budge. He was needing the money to buy an E46 M3. He said he wouldn't take less than asking price, so I shook his hand and drove back to Knoxville. A day later, his ad is down, so I send a text inquiring. The M3 sold that night, so he decided to keep driving the car. Serves you right. Should've accepted my offer. It was $400 within your asking price. If $400 was going to make or break your $15,900 purchase, then you probably shouldn't own it. But whatever. He's came back to me, asking for one last offer. I gave it and now I'm waiting to hear back. I've got two others locally that I will likely settle for. A 2007 CX-7 Sport AWD and a 2009 Mazda 6 S Touring. Not sports cars by any means, but larger cars that can fit two kids easier. And Mazdas. Any input on the 6?

I've had an 03 6s GT, very comfortable to drive, but poor as far as gas mileage. I haven't gotten my hands on any second Gens but it's pretty much the same chassis but a bigger engine. The Cx7 will require the same high maintenance that the Mazdaspeed's require such as timing chain/vvt swap if its over 100k and has no record of service. I've been looking into 3rd gen mazda 6's you can find them in a sport trim manual trans for very reasonable prices. I almost jumped on one with 57k that sold for 11,600.

I'm familiar with the CX-7, MS3 and MS6, as well as the first generation M6 cars. What I know nothing about is the second gen MY2009+ 6 cars. It looks to be a good vehicle from reviews.

Oil is changed on 1552. Source of the leak has been found. Lower oil pan has rusted through. Yay. I need to figure out if it is something I can tackle on stands at home or if I need to farm it out. First quote from a local shop was just over $800. Is changing the lower pan significantly more difficult than it looks like it would be? Got to figure it out fast as clean oil flows more freely though the rust...

Oil is changed on 1552. Source of the leak has been found. Lower oil pan has rusted through. Yay. I need to figure out if it is something I can tackle on stands at home or if I need to farm it out. First quote from a local shop was just over $800. Is changing the lower pan significantly more difficult than it looks like it would be? Got to figure it out fast as clean oil flows more freely though the rust...
Oil pan is easy. Use rtv as a replacement gasket.

I bought this thing...

67e6c2519c408f2dc1c5cb8c32447ec7.jpg

Latest posts

Back