What have you done to your MSP today?

Be prepared. T28 is not fun. I threw on a gt2871 myself had to pull fans and radiator (5mins no biggy) biggest pita for t25-t28 will be turbo clearing block and trans, your waterlines both will need to be either carefully rebent and oil return feed will need to be rebent and extended. Be careful with your oil feed fitting get some teflon tape.

Easy issues to overcome for the most part. Though, unlike you, I was running a Mishimoto radiator and fan shroud. Didn't have any issues. Slightly bent the steel lines and ordered a replacement feed. My return was already modified to the rear top of my AWR pan. Never had block-to-turbo clearance issues, though. I did fabricate my own actuator bracket, though one can be purchased for this setup for $30. I ran two 2860s and a 2871.

Additionally, the oil supply has inverted flare fittings- there is no need to use sealing tape or compound on it.

did you like the 2860 or 2871 better? were they both .64

eBay journal bearing 2860, .64
eBay journal bearing 2871, .64

I could make more boost with the 2871- that's when I was running 26psi. But they both lasted a very, very short time.

After I put the GT28R (Garrett), that's when I really started killing transmissions. Small and would spool super fast. I ran it at 20-22psi, but ended up lowering it to somewhere around 16psi to save transmissions. E

eBay journal bearing 2860, .64
eBay journal bearing 2871, .64

I could make more boost with the 2871- that's when I was running 26psi. But they both lasted a very, very short time.

After I put the GT28R (Garrett), that's when I really started killing transmissions. Small and would spool super fast. I ran it at 20-22psi, but ended up lowering it to somewhere around 16psi to save transmissions. E

haha you and them transmissions man

@Preferio,you defiantly seem to be the person to ask this then.When do you think the stock tranny starts losing vs HP?I'd like to not break mine since it will be a DD.I plan on getting a dual boost control and set one for 9-10psi and the other for about 13-14 psi w/ full bolt-ons minus the better intake manifold for now.I'm gonna guess i should have about 240hp at wheel now and built the engine to future proof adding more HP later.
I thought i read trans is good for about 350-400 HP before it can break?

@Preferio,you defiantly seem to be the person to ask this then.When do you think the stock tranny starts losing vs HP?I'd like to not break mine since it will be a DD.I plan on getting a dual boost control and set one for 9-10psi and the other for about 13-14 psi w/ full bolt-ons minus the better intake manifold for now.I'm gonna guess i should have about 240hp at wheel now and built the engine to future proof adding more HP later.
I thought i read trans is good for about 350-400 HP before it can break?
Why not just tune for 13-14psi only? And you'll need to be able to switch between fuel maps too.

I do have the SSAFC,it does have the overlaying Supermap that supposed to adjust the fuel map automatically.
I thought if i hit the switch on the DBMBC it would up the boost to the second setting of PSI and the map sensor would adjust accordingly.
If not ill just wait to get a better intake and larger injectors before i boost past 10 psi and use a custom map.
Just thought in presets it still runs a little rich so i wonder if a few over 10psi boost i shouldn't have to worry about it running lean?

I was considering using the T25 turbine housing to prevent most mounting issues, that way I can use my DP and the lines should fit. The compressor housing I can probably use the larger T28 housing and clock it downward to make the pipe routing a little cleaner. Not sure if I want a 2860 or 2871, don't plan to run over 20psi until I can get another trans built with a brace.

I do have the SSAFC,it does have the overlaying Supermap that supposed to adjust the fuel map automatically.
I thought if i hit the switch on the DBMBC it would up the boost to the second setting of PSI and the map sensor would adjust accordingly.
If not ill just wait to get a better intake and larger injectors before i boost past 10 psi and use a custom map.
Just thought in presets it still runs a little rich so i wonder if a few over 10psi boost i shouldn't have to worry about it running lean?

I am running 15-16psi on the stock 280cc injectors and it still has AFRs in the 11s under boost. Larger injectors are not necessary at 10psi.

Running lean is usually not an issue with the MSP unless you go crazy with tuning the AFC.

I was considering using the T25 turbine housing to prevent most mounting issues, that way I can use my DP and the lines should fit. The compressor housing I can probably use the larger T28 housing and clock it downward to make the pipe routing a little cleaner. Not sure if I want a 2860 or 2871, don't plan to run over 20psi until I can get another trans built with a brace.
I really don't think you'll have to do all of that, man. I didn't have issues other than the wastegate actuator bracket and I fab'd one between the OEM bracket and one of the aftermarket ones. The 90* of the oil supply was not long enough on the 2871, so I used a 1.5" extender until I got a replacement line, though it was too short in the same respect, so I used the 1.5" extender. Otherwise, everything was straightforward. I had the 3-bolt flanges, so I had to get adapters, too.

I am running 15-16psi on the stock 280cc injectors and it still has AFRs in the 11s under boost. Larger injectors are not necessary at 10psi.

Running lean is usually not an issue with the MSP unless you go crazy with tuning the AFC.

that's good to know. i was wondering if i needed larger injectors if running 14psi on the stock turbo

Depends how you treat it. With any trans if your hole shotin or bangin and grindin gears its gonna give.

14psi on gt2871 trans is stock 92k miles atm havent had a trans issue. But i dont abuse the transmission either.

I really don't think you'll have to do all of that, man. I didn't have issues other than the wastegate actuator bracket and I fab'd one between the OEM bracket and one of the aftermarket ones. The 90* of the oil supply was not long enough on the 2871, so I used a 1.5" extender until I got a replacement line, though it was too short in the same respect, so I used the 1.5" extender. Otherwise, everything was straightforward. I had the 3-bolt flanges, so I had to get adapters, too.

Are you running the SF map with the Takeda intake on your MS3? I will see if we have the MAF scaling tables for the Takeda intake and I can make/send you a custom map for it. It really is not recommended to run any other intakes than the Cobb SF for that map, especially since your CAI is very different than the Cobb.

I would prefer not to use the inlet/outlet adapters. May just end up saving for a GTX28, but will probably need a custom oil feed for that. I'm waiting to see if I can get a hookup on the GTX from Garrett, they run about $1200 I believe but apparently some coworkers have gotten pretty good discounts on new Garrett turbos.

Got the motor in 1574 apart, the bearings on 3 and 4 were bad with some chunks missing and pieces of bearing in the oil pan. Luckily the crank and rod journals look good with no scoring and the main caps are good as well. Going to install the new bearings and get everything cleaned and re-assembled.

Got the POPE downpipe and exhaust installed. Replaced a bad CHRA on the stock GT25 with a new one from Garrett. The car is feeling so MUCH better.

Can't go wrong with POPE goodies.

p4py8f0.jpg

t0BlAdK.jpg

PI4qlQ6.jpg

I'll get some exhaust pics this weekend when the car is back up on stands. Will be installing some new exhaust hangers, so I can get some solid pics of the exhaust (Tom Pope does some quality work!).

I'll get some exhaust pics this weekend when the car is back up on stands. Will be installing some new exhaust hangers, so I can get some solid pics of the exhaust (Tom Pope does some quality work!).
Yes he does. I have his manifold dp and side mount IC.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Found a replacement MSP. Titanium. Super cheap, runs and drives.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Tapatalk

Back