Oil Change

FastPro22

:
2003 Protege 5
I just changed my oil yesterday and I usually put about 4 quarts of Mobil One Full Synthetic but this time I missed counted and put in 5 quarts. Now before I drain 1 quart of oil from the oil pan I was wondering if having 5 quarts in my engine will do any harm to it?

Generally if your WAY too full the crank shaft can dip into the oil and cause it to work harder.

However the FS DE has issues with oil starvation under hard cornering, people have been putting .5 extra oil to keep the engine safe with no issues.

Drive arround for a bit let and if it feels like shes stugling slightly then take a bit out, but I wouldnt be worried about it at all though 1 bottle extra isnt that much at all. I knew a Dude with a Mazda 6 where some how the place that did his oil change filled it twice (WTF????) The guy had no issues, He could of, but he had it checked right away when his Dip stick was off the chart. Double the required ammount is ALOT

You should put half a bottle extra oil in at all oil changes to insure you dont get oil starvation, if you ever tend to drive her with a little Spirit. Or you can join the N/A Zoom Zoom Boom club if shes pushed too hard in a corner.

Last edited:
usually bad idea

Pretty much everything I've ever read anywhere universally says having to much oil in is Bad. A full quart over sounds like a bad idea to me. But if your wty is over I suppose it doesn't matter, especially if you can afford a engine replacement. (wink)

Bear in mind: a standard oil change for the FSDE is 3.7 quarts. Four us fine, but it's already a touch over. Five is pushing it, drain some out. It's not an exact science, so don't worry about getting exaclyt one quart out, but driving round with five is a bit too much.

The full mark on the dipstick is generally there for a reason. If you are worried about oil starvation then spring for the $400 deep sump pan, it's cheaper than a new motor. You can use the 626 v6 filter & it'll let you have about 1/2 a quart more of oil. I usually get 4 quarts in using that filter.

I just did my oil change and was told to only put 3.5 qt in it. Too much oil will cause oil to bubble and suppose to be really bad for the engine correct?

probably too much if you're using the standard size replacement filter. word is that using a 626 filter you use 4 qts and i've heard an old wrx filter fits in...not sure how much more it holds.

i used the OEM mazda filter, but I am not sure what model it was for though..

Those weak ass rods slapping into the oil ain't good. and it will whip up the oil and make it frothy and it will lose the ability to lubricate.

Just fire the engine up for a couple seconds and take off the filter and drain it. Do this a couple times to get out a quart.....problem solved or you can just drain all oil and put in 4 qts back in......

I think 5 is too much!

-R

Hey guys thanks for all your suggestions. I haven't drain the quart yet but I have been driving the car and probably put about 200 miles since the oil change. The funny thing is today I decided I was going to drain that one quart but before I drain it I wanted to check the oil dip stick (yellow) to see how much oil is in there. Well to my suprise the oil level is right on the full line, so I wiped the dip stick and checked again, same reading. I checked it 5 times and all the same reading. (omg) My car has 45,000 miles on it, do you guys think it's burning oil? Oh I inspected the engine top and bottom to see if I have any oil leaks, none at all. Besides I would see it on my garage floor.

Last edited:
Correct... when it starts to bubble, it looses it's ability to lubricate.
Alpinejwl said:
I just did my oil change and was told to only put 3.5 qt in it. Too much oil will cause oil to bubble and suppose to be really bad for the engine correct?

I already drained all 5 quarts out and filled it again with only 4 quarts this time. Next time I will pay attention to how many quarts I'm putting in. I always buy my oil in a case not individually and when I did my oil change I got distracted by my next door neighbor, she's so hot ummmm so I grabbed another bottle from the box not knowing that was my 5th quart. Yeah she came out wearing a white mini skirt with thongs underneath. DAMMM(omg)

You guys think the bubble in my engine had cause any damage?

FastPro22 said:
I already drained all 5 quarts out and filled it again with only 4 quarts this time. Next time I will pay attention to how many quarts I'm putting in. I always buy my oil in a case not individually and when I did my oil change I got distracted by my next door neighbor, she's so hot ummmm so I grabbed another bottle from the box not knowing that was my 5th quart. Yeah she came out wearing a white mini skirt with thongs underneath. DAMMM(omg)

You guys think the bubble in my engine had cause any damage?

Yeah women, esp hot women will do that to ya!(ughdance)

Back