2005 Mazda 3 Loaner vs. My 2003.5 protege 5....

chexmix78

:
03 Protege5 traded on 11mar08, new ride iTouring Value 4dr Sedan
So i took my "new" protege 5 back to the dealer so they can take care of some my minor problems i have encountered and they gave me a 2005 mazda 3 2.3 loaner.

and i was impressed, but here is MY comparison.

MAZDA 3 Protege5

Exterior

9/10 10/10 Edge protege5's fender flares

Interior

9/10 9/10 cooler illumination in the 3, but the p5
has nice retro touches like the oh s***
bars and the retro door lock stem. TIE

Handling
10/10 9/10 the 3's handling was amazing while still
giving a smooth ride EDGE mazda3
Acceleration

10/10 9/10 considering these are 4 cyl. both still
fun to drive TIE
Braking

8/10 10/10 the P5 outbrakes the 3 IMO

Stereo

7/10 7/10 the 3 sounds better, but i couldn't get
passed the design. TIE

Seat

7/10 9/10 i really like how the p5 hugs me in place. EDGE P5

safety

10/10 8/10 3 wins cause of std. ABS and side airbag

i knew there was a reason why i bought a used p5 instead of a 3.

overall though i was HIGHLY impressed with the 3 and wouldn't hesitate buying one, if needed or in the future.

EDIT: I could have listed more, like how i liked the 3's headlight system more , or how i like the p5's foglights more etc...but inthe end the p5 always wins by 1. :p

Last edited:
I know its been mentioned a million times, but the P5 is sooooooooooooo much sexier than the 3. Perfect profile and sweet lines, you can't beat the P5.

Although it's obviously a comparison between a new car and a used car, the difference in price is also a major advantage for the P5.

I also think the P5 looks more Japanese (if I can even say that) than the 3. Not as bland in the styling of most American cars.

Had a 3 for a rental. Really solid nice car compared to other entry level cars but no go against the P5. I would buy one before a lot of other cars just not instead of the P5

Flash5 said:
I also think the P5 looks more Japanese (if I can even say that) than the 3. Not as bland in the styling of most American cars.

i agree, i mentioned that the P5 has a lot of retro touches, by that i meant old school japanese touches. like the oh s*** handles and the door lock stem. that's classic (economy) japanese there. on the 3 it looks a lot more modern

and the price had something to do with it to. i picked up my p5 certified for 10,5 and its covered bumper to bumper for 2 more years and powertrain for 5 more.

ABS and side airbags are NOT standard on the 3
body roll is more pronounced on the 3 also... the blue illumination is too bright and distracting at night.... the fog lights in the 3 sucks ass, the P5's blows it out the water.... the headlights on the 3 are better than the P5 but the beam pattern still sucks compared to the protege sedan's... the sheet metal is too thin on the 3, sneeze on it and you ding it! the electrical system on the 3 is a nightmare and the engine is a PITA to work on... if you plan on buying a "sport compact" to modify, do NOT get the 3

so I am not really active on here. going back over old posts. I totally traded my p5 for a 2008.5 mazda 3. no regrets, I love my 3. miss my p5.

I feel like I just took a ride on the way back machine. I've had the 3 for 5 years and neglected forums as I kept it stock...till now.

mazdaspeed leather interior, ms3 powdercoated brakes to be installed this week. suspension to follow.

I still think my comments from seven years ago stand true. I like the 3s but love the p5.

I still think my comments from seven years ago stand true. I like the 3s but love the p5.

I must agree. We own both. Our 3 is an automatic but fun to drive. Our P5 is manual and funner to drive. Is

Back