anyone seen this

cilyjr

Contributor
:
manual, MP5 2002
annyone seen this on their rims? i have heard of this being coverede under warranty. i am curious for oviuos reasons

Attachments

• rim-damage.jpg
    rim-damage.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 219
I have heard people getting it fixed under warranty but there are two levels of paint coverage and I'm not sure which level they were fixed under. If your car is less than 3 years old and has under 50K on it, it is covered. If you are passed that (you prolly are since those are 2002 rims) then the dealer has to prove to a Mazda rep that the rust is due to a faulty piece of metal or paint and was not caused by neglect or a paint chip.

i have a 3rd party warranty ....still waiting for the paper work that states spafic coverage

that sucks dude! those are the rims that the dealer tried gettin us to pay for even tho we wanted the chrome ones (err alloy, you know what i mean)

and what is spafic coverage? lol

spacific coverage is what you get whaen you are drunk and want specific coverage...

I had 3 of mine replaced just before I ran out of warranty. But they were nowhere near as bad as yours are. Mine are the polished 02 rims, and all they had was some minor chipping and pits from rocks. But they replaced them.

cilyjr said:
annyone seen this on their rims? i have heard of this being coverede under warranty. i am curious for oviuos reasons

I had all four of mine replaced under warranty. It was before the three year warranty was expired though. I am not sure if the wheels are covered under the rust warranty vs. the bumper to bumper warranty. You could call Mazda NA and ask them to be sure.

so if anyone has upgraded their wheels and want to sell their stock p5 rims i might be interested as i just put 4 brand new tires on my car 3 months ago

Do you live where the roads are salted in winter? Looks to me like that could be related to neglect.

Tasty said:
Do you live where the roads are salted in winter? Looks to me like that could be related to neglect.
i do and it does seem like that but i always drive my car through a quick 8 dollar car wash roughly 2 days after a snow storm and i always wash like once a week .. some people think i am a little anal about it...
also i have heard of more than a few people having the wheels replaced under warranty (like mazda is admiting guilt) even so my car is 4 years old and i have seen cars far older that look as though they have never had any salt scrubbed of of them and their not rusted out (the bubbling does look like rust). my opinion is that mazda has issues with the powder coating for this year much the same as GM had with certian paint colors in the early 90's (show me a 91 grand am that is not rusted out and i will show you my golden egg laying goose)....

I have that too...looks like ass. I plan to just grind/sand it down sometime and lay down a fresh coat of silver paint. Should work fine and will only cost about $20 and an afternoon of fun. Might even do gunmetal just for kicks.

Back