02 v 03 whadda think?

cilyjr

Contributor
:
manual, MP5 2002
ok so lookin at the 2 side by side the only real difference is the side marker lights... i wanna know what everyone thinks looks better. i have my opinion i will post in a few....

p.s. am i missing some subtile differences?

03.5 comes with the sub in the spare tire, they have different shift knobs, the side marker lights only come on the 03 and 03.5.

cool if you want to keep the factory stereo, but i have 2 MTX 10's in a band pass. i like the spare where it is in my car. i would like a full sized spare though

blackdragon11 said:
03.5 comes with the sub in the spare tire, they have different shift knobs, the side marker lights only come on the 03 and 03.5.

My '02.5 also has the side marker lights, plus I got the bonus of a leather interior as opposed to it not being an option in the '02. I think they look pretty similar.

Wheels are different.

When they added the sub the roof rack became an option. So if you prefer the cleaner styling without the rack, the later car is the way to go.

there was a mid-season refresh in 2002. got tweeters next to the side mirrors, side markers, different wheels, non-flipup cup holders, and the AT transmission became a sport-auto transmission.

in o3, there was the spare tire sub, and then the roof racks became an option, so there are a lot of p5s without them.

RaiderMP5 said:
there was a mid-season refresh in 2002. got tweeters next to the side mirrors, side markers, different wheels, non-flipup cup holders, and the AT transmission became a sport-auto transmission.

in o3, there was the spare tire sub, and then the roof racks became an option, so there are a lot of p5s without them.
Mine's June 03 & it has all of the above & roof racks. Does this mean that June 03 production date is 03 since it has racks or 03.5? Since new models years usually go on sale 6 months before that same year even starts, (like right now with 07s on sale already) which would it be? Seems like that production date should be an early 04 model, LOL.

They revised the p5 again in 03, I cannot remember when. might have doen roof racks as an option in 03.5 models. I would look up the thread, but i do nto have the time. This has been discussed a ton of times, I just cannot remember.

RaiderMP5 said:
They revised the p5 again in 03, I cannot remember when. might have doen roof racks as an option in 03.5 models. I would look up the thread, but i do nto have the time. This has been discussed a ton of times, I just cannot remember.
No worries, not any big deal or anything. Yeah I just didn't really pay that much attention to those threads that much to remember either.

personally i like it better with the roof rack, and for some i don't really like the side marker lights that much. they seem sorta thrown in there. thats just my opinion though

I did not care for the clear ones. The bumper ones are orange, so it just did not look right. So I traded with a guy in Holland, so now I have em in orange. Looks 100% better.

Not to sound like a bum, but important info. From what I have heard on this board, 02's had weak manuals. Though I have an auto and it's great. I heard the 03's supposedly fixed this, but then they had the screws issues. But the screws have a TSB I believe that should be fixed already, or you should do if under warranty. If not under warranty, the screws simply need a lil loc-tight. The screws I am refering to are the VICS and VTCS screws in the intake manifold. The VICS are butterflies that open a shorter runner when you get to higher RPM's giving better power. The VTCS simply are butterflies that tumble the air to help emissions. The VTCS is only active if cold or below 3000 rpms. Also the 03's if they have the rack, I belive came with the caps in the trunk bed. This is great you wanted to remove the rails. And the other stuff people mentioned wheels, turn signals, sub, cup holders, tweeters.

Magus

Last edited:
The reason the markers are there are because the ones on the bumper are low and do not blink when you are using your turn signal. There is a mod to fix this though. The side blinker position is a standard position on many cars. Though I could see what your saying with both the one on the bumper and the side.

Magus

RaiderMP5 said:

AH-HA !!!
Thank you for solving this mystery for me! We couldn't figure out the deal with my '02 having all the '03 trappings.

Magus said:
But the screws have a TSB I believe that should be fixed already, or you should do if under warranty. If not under warranty, the screws simply need a lil loc-tight. The screws I am refering to are the VICS and VTCS screws in the intake manifold.
Magus
This is actually a recall & should have nothing to do with warranty being active or not.

'03 also sorted out the a/c control unit flicker (a/c cutting out in certain fan positions randomly). 5 speeds with manufacture date on door jam before 02/02 have early released tranny that had been revised with better synchros and stronger shift forks. Mine blew a year ago and several have blown on stock vehicles.

Back