Changing timing belt

Time to change the timing belt on my 2002 Protege5.
What other items should I have changed at same time? (water pump, alt belt, drive belt, front oil seals, etc)

Any idea what the cost is for the parts/labour -- <1000?

Thanks

for sure the water pump and drive belts,the belts gotta come off anyway and the pump is just a lotta reassurance for a little extra cash.

not a contact engine so you don't have any reason to worry if your pump breaks. just wait and if the pump actually does break, replace it then.

P5Owner2002 said:
Overdue for change. Currently has 130K Kms but lots of highway driving.

mazda says 105K miles like around 168K Kms'ish?

you have time.......especially if it is all highway milage!

-R

Mmmmmken said:
I highly recommend finding a good mechanic other than the dealer!

The dealer would know how to do it the proper way and the most efficient. If I weren't a mechanic I would go to the dealership for everything myself.

-Mp3josh

I am getting quotes between 300-400 for just changing the timing belt.
There is a split between the garages I have called -- some say definitely change the water pump since it is minimal labour (they are in there already so just add 1/2 labour and cost of the pump). but others say Mazdas water pumps are built sturdy and rarely need to be changed out. Total cost with timing belt and water pump and some other belts approx $500

What have you guys heard from garages or done with your own Protege's when it came time to change the timing belt?

$500 for both is good, especially if it is CAD.......i would not worry about it if you are under the 105,000 Miles. I have seen/heard of others going well above those #'s. our engine is a non-interference so you have no need to worry if you break the belt. you will just have to get the car towed to your local shop if it does happen.......

-R

^But paying the same $500 AGAIN 10K miles later for a leaking water pump - which can ruin a timing belt with the glycol? It is a gamble. You might win - you might lose.

I changed mine at the same time. I sleep better.

Consider going to protegegarage.com - ken can set you up and then you take the parts to a local garage you trust for just labor... NO rocket science to the actual work - just like any other car IMHO. i did it myself.

P-Funk! said:
^But paying the same $500 AGAIN 10K miles later for a leaking water pump - which can ruin a timing belt with the glycol? It is a gamble. You might win - you might lose.

I changed mine at the same time. I sleep better.

i totally agree.....pay the extra $150'ish over the belt price and save the couple hundred down the road. think of it as insurance!

-R

mines past the point to be done too, but since its non interference, im just gunna drive it until it goes..

gregrego said:
mines past the point to be done too, but since its non interference, im just gunna drive it until it goes..

You know its funny, when I had my P5 checked out at the dealer, the service manager recommeneded me to go ahead and change the timing belt. He stated that if the belt were to break, the engine would be finished and I would have to purchase a new engine. So the dealer is full of it? They were just trying to get some money out of me?

We just had the timing belt changed on our Subaru Legacy (60k miles). We use an independent mechanic who's pretty much the local Subaru guru and he said that on the Legacy the valves won't hit the pistons, and in that sense it's "non-interference". However, he said that if the timing belt broke the valves could hit each other, and if that happened it was still going to wreck the engine. Maybe not quite as wrecked but still a very expensive mess to repair. A bit of googling turned up evidence to support his statement, for instance:

http://72.14.209.104/search?q=cache...ence+valve+collision&hl=en&gl=us&ct=clnk&cd=7

So then, if the timing belt breaks on a P5 we agree the valves won't hit the pistons - but will they hit each other?

Back