help with power....

samm5149

:
2002 Mazda Protege5, 1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee
im still working on my project...and i need to get power from the battery. i don't want to do it like an amp becuase thats another wire right off the battery. i was thinking of going through the fuse box right next to the battery. if i do that what type of connector do i need. if not what oter ideas does anyone else have.

There's a blank i nthe fuse box under the dash that's a constant 12V that you can tap into. I did. You can just buy the little connector things at an auto parts store, and tap into the hot side of the empty slot.

what project? what are you powering? there are tons of options for tapping in the cabin depending on application.

not to mention the pre-existing wiring was set up and has a fuse in the ampherage rating of the item. You would be putting more of a lod on the circuit. You might run into blown fuses if you are installing a big power use. Running a wire to the battery is the best idea for a new item to be installed, especially it it uses a big load.

its for my 115v outlet.....the inverter only draws 15-20amps...would that be too much for the fuse box under the dash?

samm5149 said:
its for my 115v outlet.....the inverter only draws 15-20amps...would that be too much for the fuse box under the dash?

20A is the max for the fuse box under the dash unless u wanna melt something.

15-20 amps eh? I'd probably wire that thing straight to the battery. Get a Bosche relay (not necessarily the brand, just the type) and wire a heavy gauge wire from the battery to the relay (fused within 12" of the battery with a 15-20A fuse), and then from the relay to the inverter. Then you can splice off the ACC wire so that it turns on automatically with the car (I do this with my head unit's wiring harness so that I'm not cutting factory wires), or just wire up a switch if you would rather it only be on when you need it.

How many peak watts does the inverter claim? That'll decide how heavy a wire you'll want.

they claim 700 watts.....but i don't think its that much......in another brand the equal priced model is about 200watts...but the 700 is cheaper and it should do enough.

I would just wire strait to the battery.....at one time i had 4 power wires running right off the bat; 2 amps, my HU and the EL door sills. no problems..........

Back