cold air intake with the 'black thing' still on...

I am not gonna knock anybody's s*** like some people. you guys have great ideas and great looking setups. The reason I had to do my short ram intake the way I did was that I bought a kit for Manual and the guy at the store didnt tell me this. In the process on trying to make it fit, I screwed it up. So I modified and made it work with the black thing. AND YES, some of you people think that it doesnt help, well the tubing of the intake is alot kooler now. when it was run without the black thing, it was extremely hot. That thing about the modified a/c is kool man. I like that but does it counter react it like the other guy asked?

KanseiZM said:
hehehe

Are you sure the performance gain from the colder air counteracts the 15-20% performance hit of the AC compressor?
Yeah it's got an underdrive pulley on the compressor.

***EDIT*** I was just joking about the AC thing but if you are concerned about the intake tubing getting hot then you could just get the resistor thing off of ebay that'll just fake the IAT into thinking you always have 41 degree air coming in. Oh, wait that's a joke too. Damn, OK, how bout an ice chest in the car that circulates cold water thru a jacket on the intake tubing to get a cold charge off of? OR just get a K&N drop in in the oem intake & call it good. All this trick wiring & plumbing supplies just scares me for some reason.

Last edited:
tengoestetempo said:
my camera batt. died so heres a paintshop. shows u a rough idea of where to correctly mount yur coolant tank. lol, im still laughing at how u have it placed

i mounted mine to the MAF...there are two screws with it...the bottle is not totally upright but its out of the way.

I think I can solve all the problems with this and a little duct tape. Maybe it could work. lol.

Attachments

• fan.bmp
    75.1 KB · Views: 127
Moonman8 said:
hey, that's my car!!! I was actually going to post up a pic of what mine used to look like, but you beat me to it!

Is there a noticeable gain from this?

Red5_02 said:
Is there a noticeable gain from this?

i want to say that the intake got a tad louder but I doubt any more than 1 hp was gained if any at all. I did it because I got curious and bored and it was a free mod.

Since that pic was taken I have installed an AEM SRI (thanks to RaiderMP5) and covered the top of the grille with an aluminum diverter plate from Apex Motorsports (thanks to daedalus) mainly for show.

I'm now thinking about wrapping the AEM piping with the DEI wrap mainly used for headers. My reasoning is that if the wrap is designed to keep heat from radiating from a header, it should resist heat from being absorbed into the intake piping thus lowering intake temperatures. Any thoughts on this? Is my reasoning correct/logical?

Moonman8 said:
I'm now thinking about wrapping the AEM piping with the DEI wrap mainly used for headers. My reasoning is that if the wrap is designed to keep heat from radiating from a header, it should resist heat from being absorbed into the intake piping thus lowering intake temperatures. Any thoughts on this? Is my reasoning correct/logical?

Very logical, alot of people heat wrap the intake pipes, even the turbos In some cases.

Rac3rX said:
Very logical, alot of people heat wrap the intake pipes, even the turbos In some cases.

thanks. I thought I was in the right mind. I'm also going to wrap my Thunder header when it gets here in a few weeks. Wrapped header with wrapped intake pipes sounds like a good combination to eliminate any under-hood heat issues.

let em tell u why ehat wrapping headers is a bad idea in my opinion...

im all for wrapping the intake, infact i plan too.
however, by wrapping the headers u do nothng but hold the heat in the headers... those breaking down the metal faster.

wrap the intake and if ur still worried about ehat in the engine bay, take out the weather stripping in the back... it helps alot. and if nessicary take off the front weather strip.

thats my theory... btu hey... i'm new at this too...

redpr5 said:
if heat is such a prob why not get a reverse cowl or evo style hood? im just curious

If I had the money for a vented hood, I would do it in a heartbeat both for looks and the functionality you are referring to. Unfortunately I'm not rich and famous and I'm still in college so I will have to settle for the $30-$40 for the heat wrap. I think that if one were not building a show car or were not overly concerned with their engine compartment bling factor, then having a vented hood, wrapped components and as much cool air intake ducts as possible would be the best setup anyone could have.

ah gotcha, im going to attempt turning my p5 into a show car, but idk how it will go. id pick up an evo style hood, my only concern would be water getting in the engine compartment, idt it would hurt anything, but i could be wrong

redpr5 said:
ah gotcha, im going to attempt turning my p5 into a show car, but idk how it will go. id pick up an evo style hood, my only concern would be water getting in the engine compartment, idt it would hurt anything, but i could be wrong

I know that BrianMP5T has a vented CF hood and he has said that when it rains, the engine just steams a little bit after he's been driving a while. I'm pretty sure nothing would be hurt, otherwise a lot of people wouldn't be buying vented hoods. I've also seen a few people use tubing to pipe the water from the hood vent tray away from the top of the engine, so that's an idea too.

Also, heat wrap is waterproof and they sell that spray that seals everything up even better once everything is wrapped.

thats cool, yea brian has a damn nice p5 i like it a lot. right now im just lookin to get a job so i can start modifying my car (i got fired from my last job...for doing my job lol)

Back