Few questions about mods

Ramos

:
Mazda Protege 5 2002
Im thinking about doing a few more mods to my P5 but i don't know if they would work.

Would the Autometer Triple Gauge Pillar for the Protege car would fit the P5?

A friend of mine purchased a plug and play speed chip for his P5 and if gave him a notable HP gain. Were can I buy this?

Im also thinking about adding a few HP to the P5, but I don't want to spend a lot of $ or have to open the engine.

Question, comments, please help!!!

Yes, the guage pillar will fit, however, unless you have mods to make it worth your while you would really be on the verge of rice having guages.

As far as chips go, there aren't any chips worth the money that will just give you plug and play horsepower. The best thing to do is save up for an engine management system so you can control the timing and fuel map.

What are your horsepower goals? A little or a lot are your two options. If you just want a little more pep in your car you can spend $150 on a Tsudo Header (ebay), get a used Injen CAI for around $200 or just go with an ebay SRI for about $20 bucks and slap a K&N filter on it. Get a catback exhuast and a high flow midpipe to finish out the exhuast. If you wanted you could do a port and polish job and maybe get a little more agressive cam and then you're pretty much done with the "cheap" stuff.

If you want big horsepower and a quick car your best bet is to bite the bullet and go turbo. There are several venders (MAM is one of the best) who have complete kits to slap on your car. All you would need outside the kit is a good set of rods because our stock rods aren't worth crap.

you can also get a underdrive pully and some cam gears if you wanna spend money you can get some high compression pistons and some stronger rods also you can get the new crank from mam

Ramos said:
Im thinking about doing a few more mods to my P5 but i don't know if they would work.

Would the Autometer Triple Gauge Pillar for the Protege car would fit the P5?

A friend of mine purchased a plug and play speed chip for his P5 and if gave him a notable HP gain. Were can I buy this?

Im also thinking about adding a few HP to the P5, but I don't want to spend a lot of $ or have to open the engine.

Question, comments, please help!!!

Look in the NA Tech section for your performance questions. One thing that gives the car a noticeable gain are exhaust modifications. Like a cat-back exhaust, mid-pipe, header.

If you are worried about loud noise, then slap a larger resonator on the exhaust and it will quiet it down a bit.

Don't bother with the chip.

djdanny5000 said:
you can also get a underdrive pully and some cam gears if you wanna spend money you can get some high compression pistons and some stronger rods also you can get the new crank from mam

He just said he doesn't want to open up the engine.

Well I decided for "now" on a header, mid pipe, exaust & underdrive pully. A big deal here it's that my P5 has an automatic transmision. That's why I was thinking about the chip. About the header, what do you think is better, Tsudo, OBX, or a Custome made header? Would some NOS be good with stock pistons and rods? And how much HP would a cranck add?

Sorry for all the questions!

NOS on our engines from what I've seen is a no go. You're just asking for trouble if you go the NOS route. As far as the headers go, just get the Tsudo. It's the exact same design as the OBX but it's at least $50 cheaper. AWR makes a 4-2-1 header but it's better for low end power. Our cars really suffer on the upper end of the power band so the 4-1 design is better. I don't know anything about the cranks. You'll have to have someone else answer that question.

there is no "chip" for the P5. There is a resistor thing on ebay that people call a chip, that messes with the MAF. Overall evaluation of the forum in the past 5 years has been that is it junk, bad for the car. I am nto sure if your friend dyno'd to prove the HP increase, or is using a butt dyno.

As far as the gauges, yes, but beware of the rice factor.

I have a sticky in the welcome area about mods and stuff.
http://protege5.com/vbb230/showthread.php?t=123624739

good luck, and enjoy your ride!

No to the chip. Nitrous can be a great power adder if used wisely. I know there is one P5 here in Utah that is an auto running a wet kit that performs miraculously well. But he doesn't have a heavy foot, he knows its limits, and doesn't get greedy and want more.
Whatever mods you do, choose wisely because it sounds like your car is a daily driver that you probably can't be without for an extended period of time. So dont do something to risk your engine.

yea i bought on of those "chips" on ebay and it didnt do squat but make my CEL stay on.your supposed to wire it up to the AIT sensor to manipulate the timing and fuel ratio but it was junk.there is a performance shop in Houston that will custom program a real chip for your comp. and does 5 dyno runs to prove the gains but its around $500.not much but when you work full time and go to school full time it is.

Well I decided for "now" on a header, mid pipe, exaust & underdrive pully. A big deal here it's that my P5 has an automatic transmision. That's why I was thinking about the chip. About the header, what do you think is better, Tsudo, OBX, or a Custome made header? Would some NOS be good with stock pistons and rods? And how much HP would a cranck add?

Frankly, I think you will be wasting your time.

You will take a 17.5 second car and make it a 17 second car- even low 16s is too optimistic with bolt ons and any kind of tuning for an automatic. Is that really worth the almost 1k you will spend?

You will more likely than not blow your engine with nos.

Well how about a CO2 sistem with just purge just for show? And no, it's not a daily driver, for that I have a 98 Mazda B3000. I purchased this car 7 months ago and was stollen from my house 3 weeks agos. Im fixing it for car shows, specially for audio shows, but I want to make a few mods so I can actually go "zoom-zoom" with my P5. That means nobody recomends a custome header and exaust? And no, my friend did not purchased a resistor, he purchased a chip you plug to the CPU and from the car to the chip.

BTW, wat's the factory heaer output size and the Tsudo header output size? 2, 2 1/2?

I went the "bolt-on" route with my auto P5 and here's the breakdown on my performance mods:

$234 - K&N CAI
$76 - Magnecor wires
$216 - OBX header
$203 - Jet-Hot coating
$279 - MAM midpipe w/ high flow cat
$430 - Racing Beat cat-back
$148 - RR-Racing underdrive crank pulley
$45 - New belts
--------------------------------------
$1631 - Total

What did I get? 10-12 HP Some of these parts are less expensive now, you don't nead some of the options I chose (and you can always buy used) - but you will be hard pressed to extract much more out of an FS-DE with bolt-ons. In reality, these mods woke up the car, made it sound mean and made it a little more fun - but the price tag is well on your way to a good turbo setup. On that note, It hurts a little to look at the price tag of all the parts I've scrounged for my MSP build (boom08).

obx7mod.jpg

That means nobody recomends a custome header and exaust?

Iv'e done both things, and I really dont feel they were worth the trouble and expense.

However, I got a turbo kit for $900 used from someone on the forums. All I need is a mazdaspeed ecu and I will be turbo for $1050. Look around. Turbo is really the only way to go if you arent into engine building.

Better everything, nice trust fund 401k savings acct, time, patience, experienced guidance & wisdom of others that have done it before

What if I were to build my motor?
What would you recomend?

You can get one built from mental addiction motorsports, **********, protege garage and a few other places. Will run you around $3000. You then need to put probably $5000 more into it for a turbo kit that can take advantage of the block and engine management and other misc things. That will put you at almost 400hp though.

Good advice guys. I wish when I started that someone would have just told me "don't bother, just go turbo". I'm sure at the time all I planned on doing was an intake and sound system stuff though.

thousands of dollars later, I have a header, midpipe (with cat), racing beat catback, underdrive pulley, Protege MP3 ECU, JDM FS-ZE intake cam, a cold air intake (with enough spare pieces to make two more intakes).. and that's just the performance stuff, which hasn't been my main focus with the car.

Has it made it faster? Probably. I can't tell though, I guess my butt dyno must be broken. It sure does look fast and sound really mean though. I'm happy :D

If I could start all over again I would have saved up and turboed the car before doing anything else.

Latest posts

Back