I hope I don't get slammed for this but...

Yup. Lots of those badges made their way around. They are a replica of the MP3 badges that did come from the factory. The MP3 in case you didn't know was a special edition 2001 Mazda Protege Sedan, the first production car to come with an MP3 player. It also came with a sport tuned suspension, 17" wheels, a better exhaust system, and a few more ponies under the hood. The MP3 was also the first car in Mazda's North American lineup to have the body kit that would later come on all 2002-2003 Protege5s and 2003 MazdaSpeed Proteges.

Where can I get the MP5 emblem at? I have seen it once but can't seem to find a spot that sells them... Anyone know of a spot online where I can find them?

slam.jpg

chuyler1 said:
Yup. Lots of those badges made their way around. They are a replica of the MP3 badges that did come from the factory. The MP3 in case you didn't know was a special edition 2001 Mazda Protege Sedan, the first production car to come with an MP3 player. It also came with a sport tuned suspension, 17" wheels, a better exhaust system, and a few more ponies under the hood. The MP3 was also the first car in Mazda's North American lineup to have the body kit that would later come on all 2002-2003 Protege5s and 2003 MazdaSpeed Proteges.

in otherwords, some people thought and other people will keep thinking that the name "MP3" (the car) means "Mazda Protege 3" (when it's not) and by going with that logic, they think "Mazda Protege 5" means "MP5"... if it was so, mazda would've put on "MP5" badges like those on the Protege 5 ;)

I think it stands for both. One it has an MP3 player and two It is a Mazda Protege/323. So the name MP3 fits in both respects.

I don't think there's such thing as a Protege5 MP3. The MP3 was, I think, a one year run car for the Mazda Protege Sedans w/ a special MP3 player in it and other goodies. I believe the car only came in black and orange; however, I've seen a blue one on the streets here. It could be someone was just messing around w/ badges here. I can't remember the total scoops on that car. It's been years since I read up on that particular model.

I wouldn't mind finding that MP5 badge. That looks pretty cool. Peas!

SaugusMP5 said:
MP3 means the mp3 player doesn't it? I thought it was a "Protege5 MP3" -Joe D.

In 2001 Mazda made a limited edition numbered sport version of the Protege sedan. Its called the MP3

It was such a hit that in 2003 Mazda took MP3 and added a turbo and called it a Mazdaspeed Protege. The Protege 5 (aka P5 or MP5) came stateside in late 2001 as a 2002 model. The P5 had the same factory body kit as the MP3 but is a hatchback from the Familia Sport 20 family overseas.

Thats the $0.02 tour.

SaugusMP5 said:
MP3 means the mp3 player doesn't it? I thought it was a "Protege5 MP3" -Joe D.

right, the car itself was named after the MP3 music format... the car name itself is "MP3" and thats it... there's no "protege" in front of it or after it... it is officially worded as "Mazda MP3"... read all the mazda press releases from 2001 and you'll see that... the Mazda MP3's "MP3" name ONLY stands for "MPEG Layer 3" and that's it, no "Protege 3", no "Protege 323" or whatever other name you can come up with while drunk (cheers)

Last edited:
ebay has the badges, saw them for like $2 plus $2 shipping, i think. the protege 5 stands for 5 doors too

Latest posts

Back