Shift linkage question.

SaugusMP5

Last week on of my shift linkage rods snapped where it connects to the transmission. There are two rods, the one that broke is the one that is under the car on the right if you are sitting in the car. The end of the rod that should be connected to the tranny, where the rod forms a circle, is now a pair of parenthesis. Not 0, ( ). So now i need a new rod, the wire that's there now won't stay on. My question is, how can i avoid going to the dealer for the part? My girlfriend said I can't give my first born child for the part so I need help. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks in advance. -Joe D.

SaugusMP5 said:
Last week on of my shift linkage rods snapped where it connects to the transmission. There are two rods, the one that broke is the one that is under the car on the right if you are sitting in the car. The end of the rod that should be connected to the tranny, where the rod forms a circle, is now a pair of parenthesis. Not 0, ( ). So now i need a new rod, the wire that's there now won't stay on. My question is, how can i avoid going to the dealer for the part? My girlfriend said I can't give my first born child for the part so I need help. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks in advance. -Joe D.

find one at a junk yard, piece of cake

finding wrecked 3rd gens at the junk yard is hard

threadworthlesswithoutpicssmileys.gif

I'm assuming since you can still drive the car that the rod that broke is the one that positions the shift lever and braces up against the tranny (where kartboy bushings go).. am I right?

Yeah it's the one that braces up against the tranny, I know it is hard to explain without pics. I can't find any '02 mp5's at any junk yard. Anybody know of any makes/models/years that might fit other than another 02 p5? I won't be able to get pics until tues, but the threads not worthless if someone can give me any info. Thanks. -Joe D.

Thanks TheMAN that helps alot. I was hoping it wouldn't be an 02 p5 specific part. Now I can broaden my j/y search. -Joe D.

Back