EGR acting up?

Pro5Monkey

:
'02.5 Red Pro5 manual
I've had my '02 for a little over a year. It had 28k when I got it and now I'm approching 45k. The wife has been driving it 90% of the time and I decided to "borrow" it for a month or so to keep the mileage down. Twice in the last week I've been stopped at a light and the engine cut out for a second, although it didn't stall. I'm thinking it may be the EGR acting up.

Also, since I got the car it has had this strange "hesitation". When I accelerate and keep the gas steady, it feels as if I'm lifting off the gas and then back on ever so slightly. Even at full throttle it does it. It's definately not a "miss" and the A/C is not on. It continued unchanged even after I replaced the plugs. (Yes I used the OEM's and I gapped them properly).

I guess it wouldn't hurt to clean the EGR.

Do you think the "hesitation" could be EGR related?

i think the hesitation is just our cars but definately clean up the egr it should help out with the almost stalling issue

If it is your EGR, you'll likely get a CEL at some point. Sounds like it could well be the problem to me - mine went bad at 25K. Cleaning the EGR will not hurt.

djdanny5000 said:
i think the hesitation is just our cars ...

I hope not because that is the one thing I don't like about the car. I've sifted through some old threads and some people suggest a grounding kit may help clear it up. I may do the EGR this weekend. (2thumbs)

It does sound EGR related. in the how to, there is also mention of the IAC, and that needing cleaning sometimes too.

And taking the battery out will help in removing those 2 bolts from hell. It is a tight fit otherwise.

last summer, my rpm's went so low when i was stopped at a light that i had to keep my foot on the gas to keep the car from stalling. after that one time, it never happened again, though my idle will go up and down a bit.

earlier this week, it happened again, a few times in one day, but since then, nothing. stupid me, i didn't clean out the egr when i installed the header last summer, but i think it's going to be done in the next month or so - i'm over 90k km, so i expect that it's rather dirty.

My CEL has been on since I got the car, my mechanic found that the previous owner had removed the air intake, then put it back on but instead of puttin in the rubber seal where the housing attatches, he put electrical tape. The tape got sucked in blocking the mass air flow, he removed it and the light went out for like an hour then back on. It does idle a little weird but nothing huge. After reading this I gotta ask, what is the EGR? What does it stand for? I also bought an IACV but turns out I didn't need it even though the first mechanic I talked to said I did, luckily i found out within my 30 return grace period. Thanks. -Joe D.

EGR - exhaust gas return. depending on what you've done, this valve will either be screwed into your stock exhaust manifold (before the cat, iirc) or into your header.

when the engine is fully warmed and the EGR valve gets stuck open, the engine runs like it is in a choke-mode and really hesitates.......

when this happens at idling, the engine tries to idle between 4-500 RPM and will eventually stall if not throttle blip or valve closes. you will eventually throw a CEL.........

just clean the valve and i swear your car will run so much better.....this should be a 30K service on your rich running engines.......

-R

Back