Thinking of buying '02 P5 w/ 104K

TallTom

I'm new to Mazdas and reading on this site haven't seen many P5's w/ over 100K. Are they out there and still running well? I'm a bit concerned about the comfort of the seat (not much padding there), since I'll be putting in lots of highway miles. Any feedback?

seats rock compared to my last vehicle. Several adjustment options, and you can get a lumbar pillow if needed.

104K means engine is broken in. There are several with 100K plus.

Of course, you will want to carfax the vehicle to see if there was any major wreck, total, salvage, flood, alien abduction, or other molestation.

Then, take it to an independant mechanic from the dealer or private seller. Pay the $75 or so to get a full checkup. Should have had the timing belt replaced, OEM battery better be long gone. Check from strut wear, engine compression, etc.

I welcome you to the family if you get it. You will find this forum to be a wealth of information and advice.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes!

142K baby. I drive all of the time. Butt of the seat adjusts two ways so angles are great. The padding is fine on mine but that one may have had a bigger person sitting in it. I am 215 and no sag in the cushion at all.

Parts I have replaced are nothing more than expected for a car with the many miles.

-Ignition coils - from rockauto.com as they have a great price
-Swapped the bad first cat for a Tsudo header - factory cat are 500 and up so an upgrade is easier, for me at least.
-Switched to ceramic brake pads.

That is it, seriously. I have done more things but not because the car had to have it done.

The rear brakes are bit tricky, there is a how to on here. You can either paint the inside of the headlights (how to on here also) or switch to the single bulb Protege headlights that are mislabeled on Ebay, some rewiring is required but again, the how to is on here. The EGR needs to be cleaned from time to time. Best I can say is check out the how to sections. There are some really talented and knowledgeable people here.

Like any high mileage car, take it somewhere to be checked out.

There is another guy that has high miles but I forget his name.

Welcome, you will enjoy the car. The people here are great too.

I think the seats are super comfy for someone my size (5'10, 165lbs)

I just drove 15 hours straight with only fuel stops yesterday and never felt uncomfortable.

yeah... they're not cadilacs with big couches for seats. in the long run stiffer more supportive seats are a LOT more confortable... holy **** try driving even 3 hours in a ford tarus. that s*** sucked

I love the seat. Comfortable enough for a drive from Mass to MD, yet enough bolster to keep you pinned through a turn.

I think the seats are very comfortable. The fact that they are so supportive really makes it easier on your back.

Seats are great! My wife has lower back problems and one of the reasons she loves to drive or ride in the car is because of the support. Most comfortable seats she has ever been in, in her words.

As far as mileage, definitely get it checked out and get the carfax.

Good Luck!

there are more than a handful of people out there with 100k miles... I'm only at 42k.. :)
but I've never been uncomfortable on a long drive.. even after a 6 hour drive to Ohio, my back was still feeling fine..

I got mine two months ago, 110k+ and it runs great. Who ever had it before me took care of it. So far I have only had an idling problem but I know what is causing it, now I need to fix it. And a linkage arm just rusted off, so that sucks. I jury rigged it for now and it is still running good. Very comfortable. -Joe D.

TallTom said:
I'm new to Mazdas and reading on this site haven't seen many P5's w/ over 100K. Are they out there and still running well? I'm a bit concerned about the comfort of the seat (not much padding there), since I'll be putting in lots of highway miles. Any feedback?
what are you going to pay for said p5?

This thread really makes me happy. I keep thinking that at 65k miles I should be looking for a new car (that and my mom told me that I should be looking for a new car soon) but my car makes me so happy that I don't ever want to sell it.

Back