yellow 2002

TallTom

Should I buy a '02 P5 with 104,000?

I'm thinking of buying a 2002 Protege 5 with 104,000 miles. It has an after market exhaust system and I think a bigger engine than the 2.0. (I'm new to Mazda's) Any suggestions on things to look for? I'm having my mech. look at it tomorrow. It is super fun to drive, with lot's of pep, but I've not seen much written about the reliability of P5's with that many miles.

Last edited:
any protege 5 from 2001to2003,have 2.0l engines if oem,except for europe,with a 1.6...

look for rear fender rust or paint chip,egr valve code,rear suspension links,alternator,and of course the overall shape of the car....good luck,and have fun with your new car.....

I've driven my friends 2003 P5, and its peppy, and likes to be shifted at about 3000. But this '02 I'm looking at likes to shift at 3500 or higher and really has a lot more zip. Could all this be due to the exhaust system?

104K seems kind of high for a 2002. I'm at 60K with my 2003 and I drive quite a bit. However, many people have put 100K+ miles on their Proteges and they are very reliable.

It more than likely has the 2.0L. If it doesn't, stay clear of it because its an engine swap and who knows what the reliability will be like.

Back